News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways With Exits From Middle Lanes?

Started by DriverDave, August 08, 2023, 09:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

I "think" this fits the criteria, if I understand correctly.

I am going back some decades for this but I assume it has not changed. I am not sure about exactly how many lanes go where, but I do believe there are fewer lanes to I-76 EB than to the exits (collectively).

I-76 EB in Philadelphia (although here it is going closer to south) where it approaches 26th Streets and Passyunk Avenue. Far left goes to Passyunk Avenue, next lane to the right of that goes to 26th Street (and dives down and goes under everything). Far right lanes are I-76 east.

I believe that this interchange is actually the terminus of an older road (that road now being I-76 EB to the "west" of here), with I-76 EB going "east" from here being the newest road of all that are here. I-76 EB turns due south here for a short distance and then does a 90 degree turn to the east to make a direct line to the Walt Whitman Bridge.

kphoger

Quote from: tmoore952 on September 25, 2023, 03:26:25 PM
I "think" this fits the criteria, if I understand correctly.

I am going back some decades for this but I assume it has not changed. I am not sure about exactly how many lanes go where, but I do believe there are fewer lanes to I-76 EB than to the exits (collectively).

I-76 EB in Philadelphia (although here it is going closer to south) where it approaches 26th Streets and Passyunk Avenue. Far left goes to Passyunk Avenue, next lane to the right of that goes to 26th Street (and dives down and goes under everything). Far right lanes are I-76 east.

I believe that this interchange is actually the terminus of an older road (that road now being I-76 EB to the "west" of here), with I-76 EB going "east" from here being the newest road of all that are here. I-76 EB turns due south here for a short distance and then does a 90 degree turn to the east to make a direct line to the Walt Whitman Bridge.

GSV link here – https://maps.app.goo.gl/Rn9w8dHiHf5ZAo3q9

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 24, 2023, 05:17:47 PM
Easy.
The belt parkway split of the Gowanus expressway.
The 3rd lane of it goes toward the belt, and the leftmost lane is HOV.

GSV link here ??? – https://maps.app.goo.gl/KDSye9S7K3YPphDbA
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I don't think the I-76 situation counts because you can't remain on the highway if you stay to the left. In essence, there are two exits there, both from the left side of the highway. The OP is referring to a situation where thru traffic can stay to either side, left or right, and remain on the highway.

The Gowanus situation is arguably closer to what the OP has in mind, but I don't think it's quite the same thing because there isn't always an HOV lane on the left there. The road uses a zipper barrier that gets moved back and forth to reverse the HOV lane's direction depending on the time of day. So I don't think that's quite what the OP had in mind. The picture in reply #15 shows what we're trying to find.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.