News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Street names for public alleys

Started by mgk920, August 25, 2023, 09:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

About four or five years ago, at the behest of the police department, fire department and private ambulance company,  the city council here in Appleton, WI decreed that all of the public alleys in the city be given proper street names.  The impetus was to make life easier for those agencies when they are responding to calls and identify where they were while rendering their services.  They are marked with regular city-issued blade signs and there are about 22 or 23 such alleys in the city.  They carry names such as Adkins Alley, Fisk Alley, Buck Alley, Kimball Alley, Murch Alley, Koester Alley and so on.  Are there any other cities in the USA that have done this and what are your thoughts on it?

Mike

hotdogPi

The Back Bay in Boston just numbers them, so you get things like Public Alley 420. (There aren't that many.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Dough4872

Many alleys in Pennsylvania towns have names.

gonealookin

I wouldn't think it's that common in Appleton-sized places, but in big cities it is.  Downtown San Francisco comes to mind.  Example:  https://goo.gl/maps/apAukj9rwF6gVjEf7

Rothman

Crackerbarrell Alley in Northampton, MA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KCRoadFan

Philadelphia. That is all.

In that city, every alley, it seems, has a street name, and even houses with addresses along it. That was the place that came to mind for me when I saw this thread - I'm surprised that no one had mentioned that city yet (aside from one post that referred to Pennsylvania more broadly).

Max Rockatansky

DandyDan

There's two here in Mason City, Commercial Alley and Enterprise Alley. I personally think it's silly, but I believe there are businesses downtown officially on those roadways.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

tigerwings

Sacramento does, and the names starts with the letter as the prior street.

Example: The alley south of J st is Jazz alley.

mgk920

Very interesting. :nod:  I agree that doing that definitely makes life easier for the emergency services agencies, but I would think that finding enough names for them all might be a bit difficult for a bigger city like Chicago, Milwaukee or NYC.  Appleton did recycle some older obsolete street names for some of them.

Mike

Dough4872

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 26, 2023, 12:23:27 AM
Philadelphia. That is all.

In that city, every alley, it seems, has a street name, and even houses with addresses along it. That was the place that came to mind for me when I saw this thread - I'm surprised that no one had mentioned that city yet (aside from one post that referred to Pennsylvania more broadly).

Yeah Elfreth's Alley is perhaps the most famous alley in Philadelphia.

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

epzik8

I rode past Christ Church Alley in Baltimore once.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Quillz

Google Maps shows some of my local alleyways as just the name of the street the houses are officially on, but replaces "Street" with "Alley." However I don't think this is official.

roadfro

Reno, NV has three public alleys in downtown with names that I am aware of: Douglas Alley, Fulton Alley, and Lincoln Alley. These are not marked with street name signs, but do have some fancy signage. There are other alleys (and historically, Reno had many more), but these are the only ones I know of with names and that are marked as such.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

bulldog1979

Marquette, Michigan, has at least one signed/named alley: Jackson Cut. There are a few situations where there are roadways I would consider an alley that have street names, like Piqua Street.

mrsman

Some of the alleys in Downtown LA are named, but not in other parts of the city generally.

kphoger

Probably not what the OP had in mind, but a lot of the streets in Ogden, KS, are named Alley.  Some of them function as typical alleys, but not all:  there are street addresses like 512 Ashwood Alley.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Post Alley in Seattle has its own Wikipage.

Dirt Roads

Parkersburg, West Virginia has a bunch of them.  Most of these do not have any associated building addresses.  Here are the ones that I could still find:

• Dawson Alley
  • Franklin Alley
  • Phillips Court Alley
  • St. James Court Alley
  • William Court Alley
  • Wilson Alley
Plus, there's one that doesn't seem to fit the OP intentions:  Broadway Alley.  This runs behind (north side) of Broadway Avenue, but continues westward as Broadway Avenue Ext. 

But perhaps my favorite is the unposted 7-1/2 Street.  There's no building addresses that use this street name, so it technically is an alley.  (There are "vacant" properties such as parking lots that have this as a street address).  But there are also a handful of non-alleys with similar names:  9-1/2 Street; 13-1/2 Street; 17-1/2 Street; and 29-1/2 Street. 

17-1/2 Street has been renamed as Bidwell Street, but the old street sign might still be up.  Most of this certainly qualifies as an alley.

GCrites

All of the alleys in my small town of Groveport Ohio have names and signs. Suffix is always "Alley" though some streets that have always been "Streets" should have been called "Alleys" when I was a kid and they were much narrower and finished with tar chip at the time.

JustDrive

Downtown Los Angeles has a handful of alleys with street names. Werdin Pl, St Joseph's Pl, Lebanon St

bzakharin

Atlantic City names some allies but they are avenues if they are thru, and places if they dead end.

SSR_317

Almost all of the alleys within the Mile Square in downtown Indianapolis have always had official names.

jjakucyk

Most of Cincinnati's alleys are named, and it's not a recent thing.  Whether they do or don't have names is more of a neighborhood-by-neighborhood thing.  Madisonville, an outlying neighborhood that was once an independent village and early railroad suburb, has almost no named alleys.  On the other hand, nearly every one in downtown, Over-the-Rhine, Mt. Auburn, West End, and Walnut Hills is named.  Some neighborhoods have few alleys at all, named or unnamed, like Clifton, College Hill, Hyde Park, and Oakley.  It all depends on when they were platted/developed and to what sort of design standards.  There's a fascinatingly thorough inventory of alleys, including their pavement type, directionality, and width (most are painfully narrow, just 10' from building to building) at https://springinoursteps.com/alleyinventory/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.