News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor Crash? Move Over!

Started by RoadRage2023, September 23, 2023, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadRage2023

I can't for the life of me understand why people who get into tiny fender benders think they have the right to just sit in the middle of the road. They can move over 50 feet to the shoulder! You don't know how many times in NYC this happens. Sometimes they take out multiple lanes doing this. It should be a traffic offense to do this if both cars are still mobile. I lean on the horn everytime I pass people doing this. At one point I even was keeping a "Learn How To Drive" Sign that I would hold out of the window as I finally passed the fender bender that caused the gridlock. Why do people do this? It only causes more, sometimes more serious accidents, when they block the highway. Exchange info on the shoulder!

mgk920

Many DsOT already post signs to the effect.

Mike

wanderer2575

My guess is they (particularly the motorist not at fault) think moving the vehicles will mess up the evidence of what happened and who is at fault for the police report.

CtrlAltDel

My understanding is that while the government wants you to move the vehicles, the insurance companies generally do not, and so you have pick one.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

RoadRage2023

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 23, 2023, 01:44:15 PM
My guess is they (particularly the motorist not at fault) think moving the vehicles will mess up the evidence of what happened and who is at fault for the police report.

Why should there be police reports for fender benders? Waste of time, and doesn't justify blocking the road for everyone else. Just so someone can get their "rightful money" to repair a barely visible dent in the car. It should be a $500 fine and 6 license points for stopping in the middle of the highway when both cars are still driveable.

wanderer2575

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 02:04:56 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 23, 2023, 01:44:15 PM

Why should there be police reports for fender benders? Waste of time, and doesn't justify blocking the road for everyone else. Just so someone can get their "rightful money" to repair a barely visible dent in the car. It should be a $500 fine and 6 license points for stopping in the middle of the highway when both cars are still driveable.

I'm answering your question, not defending the practice.  If you're going to file an insurance claim, the insurer will want a police report.  A lot of people think that requires having an officer come to the site.

Are you Crash_It with a different username?  Lord knows your username here tells us everything we need to know about you.

RoadRage2023

How does 2 cars stuck in the middle of the road show what happened? Maybe it shows who hit who but not who was at fault?

Am I what with a different username?? I just signed up 2 days ago. I chose this username cause it is very fitting with NYC. I don't "road rage" myself but you'll feel like it at least 10x a day when driving in NYC

Congestion pricing just doesn't seem like it's going to reduce traffic. Those who don't have cars already it is not going to effect, and those rich enough to afford an apartment and a car in Manhattan aren't going to care. Other drivers it may punish but still have no choice but to cut across Manhattan. Mass Transit advocates don't seem to realize it can take 3-4 train connections to travel in the city. I used to do it all the time before I had a driver's license and it was hell.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 02:47:07 PM
Am I what with a different username?? I just signed up 2 days ago. I chose this username cause it is very fitting with NYC. I don't "road rage" myself but you'll feel like it at least 10x a day when driving in NYC

Blowing the horn passing a crash in which your opinion says they should have moved the vehicles is pretty much the definition of road rage.

RoadRage2023

I disagree. It is signaling that they shouldn't be blocking the road. Road rage is more like leaning on the horn for a car that didn't go through a yellow light so you could pass. Or over-reacting to being cut off. I've had to slam on my brakes and swerve to avoid stopped cars in the middle lane around a curve where they weren't visible. It's more like a "what the hell are you doing?" honk. They cause more accidents and should get a ticket for doing that.

Mapmikey

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 03:00:21 PM
They cause more accidents and should get a ticket for doing that.

How do you know they don't get ticketed?  Or how do you know there aren't injuries?  Or that there isn't debris that will still be in the lane for traffic to run over after the cars move (or do you also require broom swept pavement from the participants)? Or that there are other impatient drivers who don't stop so that they could move to a shoulder? Or are fluent in honk to interpret your supposed "non road rage" intent?

My experience in the DC area is that crashes in a middle lane tend to stay there until first responders arrive to help get them off the road.

RoadRage2023

Well usually the gridlock they cause is so severe that there is usually plenty of time to observe it as you pass. Sometimes it looks like there is 0 damage at all, and the guys are just yapping on their phones in the car. Or chatting outside their cars. I've seen them stop in the right lane right next to a nice wide shoulder. Like you can't just slide over 6 feet? I once got my car over to shoulder when it lost engine power from the middle lane on I-287, just using the momentum.

Max Rockatansky

I doubt this guy is Lord Carhorn.  Carhorn has too much of an ego to deny who he is, even in the event of "hypothetical sock account."

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 23, 2023, 05:25:02 PM
I doubt this guy is Lord Carhorn.  Carhorn has too much of an ego to deny who he is, even in the event of "hypothetical sock account."
"Location: NYC"

Fourth iteration of Mike2357/SafeSpeeder/MMM maybe?

Rothman

I got rear-ended by a pickup on an Interstate.  Neither vehicle was damaged enough to stop driving.  She headed off and actually hit another person after me.

I got her license plate, called the police and a report was made.  Her insurance paid for the $1,800 in repairs (rear of my car needed to be stretched back into place).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RoadRage2023

I thought by law you have to stop in any collision, to at least see if there was any damage/injuries..etc. What is that threshold where you have to pull over?

jt4

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 09:30:20 PM
I thought by law you have to stop in any collision, to at least see if there was any damage/injuries..etc. What is that threshold where you have to pull over?

I'd say move over for every collision unless the airbags deployed in one of the cars.

RoadRage2023

I meant what is the threshold for both drivers having to stop at all. Regardless of where they pull over.

hbelkins

I could swear that we had this conversation just a few weeks ago.

To reiterate -- some states do post "Fender Bender? Move vehicles to shoulder if no injuries" signs but insurance companies still insist on vehicles not being moved until the police can arrive to write a report up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ran4sh

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 12:16:09 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why people who get into tiny fender benders think they have the right to just sit in the middle of the road. They can move over 50 feet to the shoulder! You don't know how many times in NYC this happens. Sometimes they take out multiple lanes doing this. It should be a traffic offense to do this if both cars are still mobile. I lean on the horn everytime I pass people doing this. At one point I even was keeping a "Learn How To Drive" Sign that I would hold out of the window as I finally passed the fender bender that caused the gridlock. Why do people do this? It only causes more, sometimes more serious accidents, when they block the highway. Exchange info on the shoulder!

I agree. Move over even if it's not the law.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on September 23, 2023, 10:51:08 PM

To reiterate -- some states do post "Fender Bender? Move vehicles to shoulder if no injuries" signs but insurance companies still insist on vehicles not being moved until the police can arrive to write a report up.

I think this came up in a kernals12 thread, "Do we need inside shoulders on freeways?"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 23, 2023, 07:14:20 PM

There are 3 possibilities here:

1) this is not MMM.
2) this is MMM, and he put NYC as his location again after he was permanently banned for the third time with an account that lists NYC.
3) this is MMM, and in an absolute stroke of genius, he put NYC as his location again because, surely, we think, he would never be dumb enough to do that.

SectorZ

Quote from: thspfc on September 24, 2023, 09:34:01 AM

1) this is not MMM.
2) this is MMM, and he put NYC as his location again after he was permanently banned for the third time with an account that lists NYC.
3) this is MMM, and in an absolute stroke of genius, he put NYC as his location again because, surely, we think, he would never be dumb enough to do that.

MMM used the word "threshold" ten times in posts per a quick search. Already used twice here by our newbie. Each has also referred to "black and red" on google maps at an oddly high rate.

Also, RR2023, work in insurance someday and see how much people lie, and you'll see why you don't want to be out thousands of potential dollars in a "fender bender". I've also seen people with severe injuries in minor accidents, because some people are just made of tin foil and bailing wire and tough shit if you hit one of those people with your car.

thspfc

Quote from: SectorZ on September 24, 2023, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 24, 2023, 09:34:01 AM

1) this is not MMM.

MMM used the word "threshold" ten times in posts per a quick search. Already used twice here by our newbie. Each has also referred to "black and red" on google maps at an oddly high rate.
The writing style and tone are quite similar. Haven't read any MMM-level outlandish takes from this guy (yet), but I think this account being Part IV is a possibility.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

Quote from: hbelkins on September 23, 2023, 10:51:08 PM

Since practically everyone has a camera in their smart phone, just take some quick pictures showing the positions of the vehicles relative to the surroundings, and then pull over.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.