Highways that BARELY enter or miss a county

Started by webny99, October 17, 2023, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCinSummerfield

US-8 enters into Michigan for 2.3 miles before ending at US-2.

ran4sh

In Georgia, state route 211 barely enters Gwinnett County. State route 347 comes close, but does not enter, Gwinnett County. The intersection of 211 & 347 is in Hall County near Gwinnett, Barrow, Jackson counties (so all three of those count as near miss for 347, and Jackson counts as near miss for 211) .

SR 330 barely enters Clarke County, although there is no signage indicating such. There are a few near-miss routes for Clarke County: SR's 106 and 316 . A lot of people would probably think the east end of 316 is where it is closest to Clarke County, but actually the nearest point would be closer to the US 78/SR 10 interchange.

SR 52 between Gillsville and Maysville runs along the Banks/Jackson and Banks/Hall county lines.

Other Georgia near misses: US 19/SR 400 misses DeKalb and Hall counties, SR 17 misses Oglethorpe County

Other Georgia routes that just enter a county: I-95 enters Effingham County, I-75 enters Cherokee County, I-85 enters Clayton County, SR 138 enters Newton County
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

GaryV

Quote from: webny99 on October 17, 2023, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 17, 2023, 12:35:45 PM
Quote from: GaryV on October 17, 2023, 12:30:04 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on October 17, 2023, 12:20:25 PM
I-75 enters Crawford County for a short distance, but the county lines either way are fully signposted.

Huh? I-75 completely crosses Crawford county from north border to south border.

Crawford is the county on the left. Is there another Crawford in a different state that you're talking about?

[img snipped]

Although arguably still true that I-75 crosses from north border to south border.   :D

Crawford Co, MI

JayhawkCO

ran4sh

To be clear, I specified Georgia on that post that's being quoted... that part was just removed from the quote
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

tmoore952

WV 28 passes about 0.2 mile NW of corner of Highland County, VA. This is south of US 33 (Judy Gap) and north of US 250.

At the aforementioned corner, the state line makes a sharp 90 degree turn from generally running north to generally running east.
The continuation of the NB line becomes the county line between Pendleton County, WV and Pocahontas County, WV.
WV 28 also crosses that county line but that crossing is slightly north (on the road) from the closest it gets to the VA county mentioned above.

I remember seeing, and the map confirms, a very small road heading towards that corner of VA. That small road also appears to cross back and forth between WV and VA. Assuming that road is publicly accessible (I don't remember), I did not try to drive that road, due to other experiences I've had on small mountainous WV roads (dirt, with rocks and large boulders).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: flan on October 17, 2023, 10:39:11 AM
I-94 barely misses Eau Claire County, WI.

WI 29 very briefly enters the northeastern corner of Outagamie County.

A more well-known one, US 56/412 comes within feet of the northwestern corner of the Texas Panhandle (Dallam County).

MN 23 crosses the southeastern corner of Lincoln County for a little more than a mile.

US 218 clips the southwestern corner of Dodge County in Minnesota for less than a mile.

MN 280 is very close to the Hennepin County line for its entire length, but the closest it gets is about 600 feet away from the border.

MN 97 ends about 1/5 of a mile into Anoka County.

MN 41 ends about 300 feet into Hennepin County.

MN 210 crosses the northern tip of Morrison County for about a half mile.

ND 54 crosses the Red River a few hundred feet north of the northern edge of Grand Forks County.

TH 169 enters Lake County for a little over a mile east of Ely before state maintenance ends at Power Dam Road.

US 8 has 2 miles in Washington County and I-35 enters Washington County for about 3 miles, yet interchange in that county.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 17, 2023, 11:17:13 AM
The closest a highway comes to entering a county but doesn't?: My nomination of CO150 and Costilla County. 10 ft. per mob-rule map.

Depends.  What counts as the "highway"?  Does the shoulder count?

US-56.  The corner of Dallam County (TX) is shown below, with the official boundary marker circled in red:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: GaryV on October 17, 2023, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 17, 2023, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 17, 2023, 12:35:45 PM
Quote from: GaryV on October 17, 2023, 12:30:04 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on October 17, 2023, 12:20:25 PM
I-75 enters Crawford County for a short distance, but the county lines either way are fully signposted.

Huh? I-75 completely crosses Crawford county from north border to south border.

Crawford is the county on the left. Is there another Crawford in a different state that you're talking about?

[img snipped]

Although arguably still true that I-75 crosses from north border to south border.   :D

Crawford Co, MI

Certainly not Crawford County, WI.

Mike

mgk920

?  I-94 Goes through Eau Claire County and serves its county seat (Eau Claire, WI).

OTOH, I-57 just ticks the NW corner of Clay County, IL.

Mike

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2023, 02:06:02 PM
The closest a highway comes to entering a county but doesn't?: My nomination of CO150 and Costilla County. 10 ft. per mob-rule map.

US-56.  The corner of Dallam County (TX) is shown below, with the official boundary marker circled in red:

Forgot about that one. When I was down there, I took the "Texas State Line Road" or whatever it's called just to make it official.

tmoore952

I-68 in MD at exit 74 (US 40 Scenic / Mountain Road, this is just west of Sideling Hill Cut) comes within about 0.2 mile of PA line (I believe the PA county is Fulton County PA).

I remember that if you come south on Mountain Road, when you enter MD you can see I-68 from there. There are a lot of trees here due to the mountainous terrain.

jlam

Colorado SH 119 gets within 30 feet of Clear Creek County at its southern terminus with US 6. I've passed through that intersection 5 times in the past 3 years and never knew that until now.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 17, 2023, 02:17:32 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2023, 02:06:02 PM

[img snipped]

Forgot about that one. When I was down there, I took the "Texas State Line Road" or whatever it's called just to make it official.

One that mob-rule is inconclusive about is US 62 and Tillman County, OK. It looks to me like EB 62 straddles the county line, while WB 62 does not enter Tillman County. Anyways I would sure hope that any county-clincher driving that stretch of US 62 would at least swing in past the Headrick historic bridge to make it official.

formulanone

The jury seems to be perpetually out on the question of US 41 and Monroe County, Florida.

Signage: no
Mapping/GIS: yes
Vaguely authoritative paint markings: uh...

Bitmapped

In West Virginia, the southbound side of two-lane US 119 briefly enters Marion County when passing between Monongalia and Taylor counties: https://maps.app.goo.gl/qyD2bsbfRrG9pYqk7. Depending on what imagery you're looking at, the triangle wedge of Marion is either on the shoulder or in the travel lane. I've not seen a definitive answer if the southbound travel lane itself actually enters Marion County or not. Either way, there is no signage mentioning Marion County at this location. There's not any direct road access to the rest of the Marion, either.

Just east of Blacksville, WV 7 grazes the PA state line on a curve. The state line definitely runs through the ROW. When I dug into it previously, it appeared the shoulder entered PA but the travel lanes themselves did not: https://maps.app.goo.gl/3arWR4LZpFQ8vv468

Rothman

In the I-40 example from the other thread, there are Gray County signs where mob-rule indicates that only part of I-40 actually crosses the line.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Let's see what we have for Utah...

I-80 just misses Rich County, which has its boundary with Summit just north of the railroad track that parallels I-80 to the north. This has actually been the subject of a border dispute in the past, before even any US highways existed - Rich claimed the entire upper Bear River watershed in Utah, which would have put the line on 80 at Wahsatch Hill. Somehow, the railroad was selected as the ultimate boundary.

I-84 is never signed to enter Davis County but unambiguously does for a couple miles on either side of exit 85. Further east, the eastbound lanes spend a good amount of time in Davis, also not signed. Pre-existing US 30S just barely missed Davis, except during the earliest years when it may have followed the Lincoln Highway alignment along what is now SR 60.

US 6 clips the corner of Wasatch County

SR 24 clips the corner of Piute County, where it junctions SR 25

SR 39 winds in and out of Cache County's border with both Weber and Rich numerous times as it follows the county-line watershed divide, though only one crossing of each is signed. It has no road junctions of any significance in Cache.

Exactly one hairpin on SR 92 near the Cascade Springs junction is in Wasatch County

SR 150 just barely enters Wasatch County for a short distance near Upper Provo Falls (not signed) and then barely winds into Duchesne County near Mirror Lake (signed)

SR 248 winds into Wasatch County for a few miles near Jordanelle Reservoir

SR 264 clips the northernmost corner of Emery County

flan

Quote from: mgk920 on October 17, 2023, 02:16:24 PM
?  I-94 Goes through Eau Claire County and serves its county seat (Eau Claire, WI).

OTOH, I-57 just ticks the NW corner of Clay County, IL.

Mike

Oops, I meant Chippewa County.

TBKS1

Interstate 530 and AR 365 barely clip into Grant County, AR...

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

dvferyance

WI-83 barely enters Walworth County. In Indiana I-65 barely enters Newton County as well as Hendricks County. I-69 barely enters Wells County. In Florida it's hard to tell if US 41 barely enters or barely misses Monroe County. Signage there only refers to Miami Dade and Collier Counties but Monroe meets there too.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2023, 10:54:46 AM
Along I-79 in West Virginia, the route very briefly enters either Braxton or Gilmer (I forget which) before entering Lewis County. This is between Burnsville and Weston.

It's Gilmer.  Northbound, you get a Gilmer County sign when you first enter and then a Lewis County sign when you leave Gilmer.  You can see them both here (Lewis County is way up in the curve).
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9027703,-80.6133322,3a,53.7y,65.27h,89.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFWWERkGOVey0PYefrk_fOA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

But you actually cross over twice between Braxton and Gilmer as you look at this.  Southbound, you actually enter Gilmer County three times.  The Braxton County sign is posted when you leave Gilmer the second time (marking the same crossing as the Gilmer County sign in the northbound direction). 

jb_va23

If you are driving on I-64 in Virginia between Charlottesville and Richmond, you will see signs that you enter and leave Fluvanna County very quickly. It clips the northern section, but there aren't even any interchanges within the county to access I-64. You have to cross into Louisa or Albemarle County to actually get on or off the interstate.

Bitmapped

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 17, 2023, 01:29:55 PM
WV 28 passes about 0.2 mile NW of corner of Highland County, VA. This is south of US 33 (Judy Gap) and north of US 250.

At the aforementioned corner, the state line makes a sharp 90 degree turn from generally running north to generally running east.
The continuation of the NB line becomes the county line between Pendleton County, WV and Pocahontas County, WV.
WV 28 also crosses that county line but that crossing is slightly north (on the road) from the closest it gets to the VA county mentioned above.

I remember seeing, and the map confirms, a very small road heading towards that corner of VA. That small road also appears to cross back and forth between WV and VA. Assuming that road is publicly accessible (I don't remember), I did not try to drive that road, due to other experiences I've had on small mountainous WV roads (dirt, with rocks and large boulders).

It's a U.S. Forest Service road. FR 106 bounces back and forth across the state line for a couple miles heading south, and there is a spur to the Locust Springs Picnic Area in Virginia which is only accessible by car from West Virginia.

MATraveler128

I-495 and MA 213 come within feet of the New Hampshire border and therefore Rockingham County.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.