State routes created with "useless" overlaps to give a corridor one number

Started by NE2, July 17, 2011, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

We've seen several examples of this recently: Iowa and Missouri creating 27 for the Avenue of the Saints (though only Iowa continues it along U.S. Routes), Iowa extending 163 to Burlington, and Illinois assigning 110 to their piece of the Chicago-Kansas City corridor. The same has been done with US 400, US 412, and perhaps other U.S. Routes. Are there any older examples?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

IL/IA-64 so that they meet at the Sabula-Savanna Bridge.

IL-110, IMHO, is one of the sillier ones.  Why do we need a Chicago-Kansas City Corridor?  We already have I-55 and I-70.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

xonhulu

MSR 789 was definitely one of these, though it's mostly been removed except in WY.

There is also MT 3, supposedly to unify the Billings-to-Great Falls route, which I guess US 87 wasn't adequately doing.

I think there are a lot of examples of this nationwide, but I can't think of too many examples in the western states.

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on July 17, 2011, 07:59:00 AM
IL-110, IMHO, is one of the sillier ones.  Why do we need a Chicago-Kansas City Corridor?  We already have I-55 and I-70.

Because I-70 across Missouri is not user friendly and can be pretty unreliable on weekends.  But I'm still not sure why a better numbered couldn't have been used such as 336 or a new IL 88 for the section west/south of Quad Cities.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I need one of the Louisiana natives to comfirm (or debunk) this, but La 10 appears to be an obvious answer.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NE2

I thought you were coming here to mention Ohio's SR 1 (1950s-). I'm not seeing LA 10 being this way - it still goes from Pickering to the state line near Bogalusa, right? It doesn't have any long overlaps, and none at either end - it's just a long route like LA 1 that's not much of a through corridor but a collection of end-to-end routes joined by short overlaps.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

I will just add to Revive 755 that Illinois wanted a route for drivers who want to avoid the 1-80 and 1-55 truckways . The tollway liked the idea too of course.
I would have liked Illinois 88 better as well. I dont know wht IA and MO picked 27 . It is out of grid for a fantasy future interstate.
I like the fictional interstate idea of making it I-43 too but that will remain  fictional.
I never thought I would be so strongly supporting the idea of the Quincy Highway committee.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

VA 32 north of downtown Suffolk.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

pianocello

Quote from: Brandon on July 17, 2011, 07:59:00 AM
IL/IA-64 so that they meet at the Sabula-Savanna Bridge.

It gets worse. Back in the day (I'd guess '50s and '60s), IA-64 went across the entire state to meet up with NE-64 as well. This includes a 70-mile-long multiplex with US-30 between Cedar Rapids and Marshalltown. The part west of Marshalltown became IA-191, IA-44, and IA-330.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SSOWorld

WIS 32.  It follows other highway numbers for just about 75% of its and is concurrent along 45 for all of it between Eagle River (or south of it actually) and the U.P.

Wisconsin - in general is home of useless concurrencies.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheStranger

Back in the day, California had Route 21 continuing south of Mission San Jose along what was then Route 9 (now Route 262), so that it could terminate at then-Route 17 (today's I-880). 

For some time from 1964 on (but not the case for the last two or so decades), Route 70 continued 30 miles south of Catlett (in Sutter County) to I-5 in the Natomas district of Sacramento in a concurrency with Route 99.  (From 1964-1968 it went down 99 all the way to Route 16 in downtown Sacramento at the I Street Bridge - basically because 70 was a direct replacement of the 1950s Route 24 segment to Marysville.)

Route 108 does this with Route 132 in Modesto for several blocks so it can terminate at Route 99.

---

A couple of out-of-state examples:

- in Connecticut, Route 25 continues along Route 8 between Trumbull and Bridgeport to reach I-95.

- Route 1X in Kananaskis, Alberta apparently is concurrent for its entire length with Route 40.

Chris Sampang

jwolfer

GA 520 on US 82/280 in S GA.  Really the SR numbers on US highways in Georgia should be relegated to secret status, as in Florida. 

74/171FAN

VA 2 with the exception of the portion between Bowling Green and US 17 is entirely multiplexed and goes from Richmond to Fredericksburg, sounds obvious here.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

HazMatt

NC 24 for over 100 miles with NC 27, just to connect Charlotte to Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune.  It used to end in Charlotte where NC 27 and US 74 meet, but they rerouted it a few years ago to I-77.

TheStranger

Did Ohio's Route 3 predate the US routes that are concurrent with it, or was it created after the fact to link Ohio's three largest cities?
Chris Sampang

NE2

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 28, 2011, 09:41:07 AM
VA 2 with the exception of the portion between Bowling Green and US 17 is entirely multiplexed and goes from Richmond to Fredericksburg, sounds obvious here.
Except that 2 predates 301.

Quote from: TheStranger on October 28, 2011, 02:03:09 PM
Did Ohio's Route 3 predate the US routes that are concurrent with it, or was it created after the fact to link Ohio's three largest cities?
Yes, 3 was part of the original numbering in the early 1920s.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Predate. US 36 and US 22's overlaps with Oh 3 came in the mid 1930s.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 28, 2011, 07:49:59 PM

Predate. US 36 and US 22's overlaps with Oh 3 came in the mid 1930s.

How about US 62 – another 1930s addition I believe – and more relevant to OH 3's inclusion in this thread than US 36.

Personally, I don't think the southern half of OH 3 is necessary at all, assuming all the US and Interstate routes are staying as they are.  It's not necessary as a Cincinnati—Cleveland route; we have US 42 for that. It's not necessary as a Cincinnati—Columbus—Cleveland route; we have I-71 for that.  OH 3 might as well be truncated, with its new south end at Broad & 3rd in Columbus.  Then, to preserve continuity of the old route and satisfy roadgeek historians, put up "OLD 3C HWY" markers along the whole length, including the part that's still OH 3.  Of course, old alignments that still go through should get these markers.

Or, leave well enough alone, I suppose.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

apeman33

Oklahoma highway 3. I don't know if it or the routes it overlaps came first but most of it west of Oklahoma City is concurrent with other routes. And is there a need for a route from the Colorado state line to southwestern Arkansas?

NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.