News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Was I-635 originally going to follow K-5?

Started by bugo, August 09, 2017, 02:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Otto Yamamoto

Alex

Yes, from what Justin researched back in 2008, it was going to use the Platte Purchase/Fairfax Bridges until funds were secured to build a new span.

bugo

Scott5114

Was the K-5 freeway built as a segment of I-635, that 635 was later routed away from? Or did they build 635 and K-5 as separate projects? Was it ever signed as 635?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

route56

From what I can tell, 635 was re-routed before construction started on the Fairfax Spur:

While the Rural Resolutions section of the KDOT GIS site offers some insight on when the change happened, since this section of 635 is entirely within KCK, there is no direct record, just two entries of note:

Resolution 1 from August 9, 1961, designates I-635 from the south end at I-35/Metcalf to the City Limits at State Avenue. It shows I-635 on the proposed route into the Fairfax district and onto the Fairfax/Platte Purchase Bridges.

Resolution 2 from October 28, 1968, extends K-58 north along 18th Street from Quindaro Boulevard north to the freeway. By this point, the proposed route for I-635 continues north, and the original alignment is now truncated to Sunshine Road and given the proposed designation of K-6.

I suspect that the Fairfax Spur was designated K-5 when it opened (and Quindaro Boulevard was subsequently withdrawn as a CCL) and that is was never signed as I-635 or K-6.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.