News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-29 to reopen later this week

Started by huskeroadgeek, October 03, 2011, 10:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

The Iowa DOT has announced that they will reopen all of I-29 later this week. However, many bridges including the heavily traveled IA/NE 2 bridge at Nebraska City will remain closed for awhile longer. They hope to have at least 1 lane in each direction of the Hwy. 2 bridge open by late December.

M86

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on October 03, 2011, 10:48:29 PM
The Iowa DOT has announced that they will reopen all of I-29 later this week. However, many bridges including the heavily traveled IA/NE 2 bridge at Nebraska City will remain closed for awhile longer. They hope to have at least 1 lane in each direction of the Hwy. 2 bridge open by late December.

I just checked the IDOT flooding closure map, and noticed that the section in Council Bluffs is now open.  Are they planning on opening the stretch from Bartlett, IA to Rock Port, MO?

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: M86 on October 06, 2011, 12:26:17 AM
Quote from: huskeroadgeek on October 03, 2011, 10:48:29 PM

I just checked the IDOT flooding closure map, and noticed that the section in Council Bluffs is now open.  Are they planning on opening the stretch from Bartlett, IA to Rock Port, MO?
Yes, the part in the Council Bluffs area opened a couple of weeks ago. The portion north of the Missouri border is what they are opening sometime within the next few days.

M86

Do you know about the Missouri portion?

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: M86 on October 07, 2011, 01:42:09 AM
Do you know about the Missouri portion?
The portion in Missouri that is closed should open as soon as it's open on the Iowa side. I don't believe there was any flood damage on I-29 in Missouri, but they closed it at Rock Port because that was the last major exit before the closed portion.

M86

Thank you for that.  I thought the flooding destroyed a lot of I-29 in IA and MO... which is why I was puzzled about it.

J N Winkler

I don't think I-29 was that badly affected, but I-680 (Mormon Bridge approaches) has a lot of destroyed pavement which will likely require full-depth reconstruction.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

huskeroadgeek

There was minor damage on I-29 in the Hamburg area, but from what I understand, they've done repairs on one side and opened that side, and are now doing repairs on the other side(the one side apparently reopened yesterday morning). As mentioned above, I-680 between I-29 and the Mormon Bridge was badly damaged and will require complete reconstruction, made more difficult by the lack of access roads in the area. IA 2 between I-29 and the bridge was damaged too, but not as bad as I-680.

Alps

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on October 09, 2011, 02:26:46 PM
There was minor damage on I-29 in the Hamburg area, but from what I understand, they've done repairs on one side and opened that side, and are now doing repairs on the other side(the one side apparently reopened yesterday morning). As mentioned above, I-680 between I-29 and the Mormon Bridge was badly damaged and will require complete reconstruction, made more difficult by the lack of access roads in the area. IA 2 between I-29 and the bridge was damaged too, but not as bad as I-680.
Is there any online location with a comprehensive list of Midwestern major route flood closures? Or is it only what our reliable roadgeek sources are aware of?

huskeroadgeek

The best source I know of is just the individual states' DOT websites-I don't know of any central source for the entire region.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.