News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland Welcome Center on I-68 from W.Va closed

Started by F350, May 15, 2010, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F350

Upon entering the Maryland state line in Garrett County on eastbound I-68, the Maryland Welcome Center sign had the infamous orange sign "CLOSED" on it.

I stopped by it and looked around from afar. It looked like they are planning to close it permanently. Is this true? I heard Maryland is severely limiting the usage of rest areas in the state, and proposed closing one or two areas permanently.

As such, Maryland is one state from my I-70 trip that I wasn't able to get the state map for.  :ded:

SP Cook

Curious.  This is a quite rural area where the rest area is the only clean and comfortable safe stop for many miles.

KillerTux

agentsteel53

Quote from: SP Cook on May 16, 2010, 08:18:42 AM
Curious.  This is a quite rural area where the rest area is the only clean and comfortable safe stop for many miles.

I would disagree with that assessment.  Rural Maryland is not swarming with highwaymen!  I know I once got some sleep in that area, pulled over by the side of old US-40.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 16, 2010, 02:19:54 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on May 16, 2010, 08:18:42 AM

I would disagree with that assessment.  Rural Maryland is not swarming with highwaymen!  I know I once got some sleep in that area, pulled over by the side of old US-40.

Depends on what you need a rest stop for. This area isn't exactly flush with good places to stop and use the restroom.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2010, 03:20:15 PM
Depends on what you need a rest stop for. This area isn't exactly flush with good places to stop and use the restroom.

well, one does not have to flush  :sombrero:  in the absence of people facilities, I have no problem with going as the animals go.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

F350

Quote from: KillerTux on May 16, 2010, 10:05:05 AM
Should still be open...
http://www.sha.maryland.gov/index.aspx?Pageid=250
According to this link, it looks like the I-70 welcome center is currently being remodeled hence the closing. Good to know. Still, I'm really disappointed now that the US-219 rest area is closed for good. Let's hope the scenic view will still be open to tourists.

mgk920

I stopped at that one during my 2003 roadtrip and thought that it was one of the best located and laid out welcome centers that I have stopped at.  I hope that it isn't down for good.

I also see that those rest areas on I-68 by the deep cut are closed, too.

:banghead:

Mike

froggie

The rest areas at Sideling Hill aren't closed, but the visitor center is.

Alex

In a related item:

I-70 rest areas near South Mountain to reopen
Posted 6/23/2010 7:50 AM ET
BOONSBORO, Md. (AP) – Two rest areas along Interstate 70 are set to reopen as the state's first green welcome centers.

The rest stops on opposite sides of the highway near South Mountain have been closed for renovations since April 2008. They are scheduled for a soft opening on Wednesday, with access to expanded parking lots and restrooms.

The welcome centers will open in August.

The buildings were rebuilt at a cost of $21.5 million and include low-flow bathroom fixtures and geothermal heating and air conditioning. They also include a children's area, walking trials and picnic areas.

PAHighways

If I recall correctly, the westbound rest area is where the DC snipers were caught.

njroadhorse

Quote from: PAHighways on June 23, 2010, 06:55:17 PM
If I recall correctly, the westbound rest area is where the DC snipers were caught.
That may be it... they said they were caught on 70 near Meyersville.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2010, 07:18:46 AMThe rest areas at Sideling Hill aren't closed, but the visitor center is.

That sucks, glad I made it in there around 2004 or so.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

MDRoads

The interpretive exhibit (?) or whatever was supposed to be in the visitor center is now being housed in downtown Hancock.

ATLRedSoxFan

Just drove the I-95 corridor from Richmond to Newark yesterday and noticed the Maryland Welcome Center closed just outside of DC. I did notice Maryland was working on some major upgrades. Shcker was the $5.00 toll just before Delaware. :wow:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.