April 6
1 (12.5%)
April 13
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

US71

Quote from: jpi on February 03, 2019, 11:17:28 AM
Ok, April 13 is now a done deal, the poll closes on 2/8 but safe to say April 13 is the preferred date, I will be setting up a Facebook event later this week and I am leaning towards McAlisters for lunch and then have a post meet dinner at Corky's but I will research both later this week, Saunder since you were in Memphis recently feel free to chime in with any other suggestions for food options and I will keep that in mind. Thanks everyone for the info

FWIW, my Memphis BBQ expert recommend Interstate BBQ for beef ribs or smoked sausage. Central for pork ribs.  But it's your show, so whatever you decide.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2019, 08:40:04 PM
FWIW, my Memphis BBQ expert recommend Interstate BBQ for beef ribs or smoked sausage. Central for pork ribs.  But it's your show, so whatever you decide.

The way I classify Memphis BBQ:

Rendezvous = tourist 'que
Corkys = where you take people visiting from out of town
Central = where you get together with friends

...and below that, you get into more local places, which includes Interstate.   I'm partial to the Bar-B-Q Shop myself (plus a couple of other local places in parts of town one wouldn't encourage a visitor to go), but really at this level it's just about all good, and personal tastes would influence rankings.

For a while, I was going to KC for meetings every quarter, and they'd generally bring in either Jack Stack's, Gates, or Arthur Bryant's for lunch....except for that one time I offered to make the arrangements.

Corky's ships via Fed Ex.  :)

kevinb1994

FYI a new Fairfield Inn and Suites will be opening in April on Collierville Road (SR 175) just off of the Bill Morris Parkway (SR 385) across from the outdoor Carriage Crossing shopping mall. Don't know the exact opening date though. Marriott already has a Courtyard hotel on the other side of the mall complex.

EDIT: I would prefer/recommend having lunch at Jason's Deli as it doesn't seem that the McAllister's location in Cordova would work IMHO.

codyg1985

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 03, 2019, 11:34:00 PM
EDIT: I would prefer/recommend having lunch at Jason's Deli as it doesn't seem that the McAllister's location in Cordova would work.

What is wrong with McAllister's?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

kevinb1994

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 04, 2019, 07:47:29 AM
EDIT: I would prefer/recommend having lunch at Jason's Deli as it doesn't seem that the McAllister's location in Cordova would work.

What is wrong with McAllister's?

Just a personal preference, that's all. No biggie.

US71

FYI a new Fairfield Inn and Suites will be opening in April on Collierville Road (SR 175) just off of the Bill Morris Parkway (SR 385) across from the outdoor Carriage Crossing shopping mall. Don't know the exact opening date though. Marriott already has a Courtyard hotel on the other side of the mall complex.

Doesn't appear to be accepting reservations yet, but the other Fairfield properties are $120+ per night. Not exactly in my budget.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: US71 on February 04, 2019, 10:06:26 AM

Doesn't appear to be accepting reservations yet, but the other Fairfield properties are $120+ per night. Not exactly in my budget.

FWIW:

- I've had horrible luck with Hampton Inns around Memphis; concerns have been mostly related to cleanliness.

- For 2017 and 2018, my primary hotel in the Memphis area was the Hyatt Place at Wolfchase.  Generally $89-$109/night.  Decent breakfasts, but sadly they aren't universally free (I think being a Hyatt World member takes care of that).  I've also stayed at the one way out on Winchester (OK) and the one by St. Francis Hospital (nearly run down by a Memphis cop responding to a robbery that occurred a few minutes before I arrived to check in; but other than that, it was OK).

- I'm currently at the Homewood Suites on Wolf River Blvd near Germantown Pkwy.  It's OK, although the machinery is noisy enough that I'm glad I travel with a white noise machine.  I like the Hyatt Place more, but I did just book two more stays here at $107/night with AAA discount.

I personally would be leery of hotels in/around Memphis much below $100/night...but I travel enough that I have moderate-to-high standards for hotels.  I generally aim for non-deluxe, business road-warrior grade places these days.  There are probably places that are OK at lower rates...but I travel enough that I don't like gambling when it comes to sleep.  :)

US71

Hampton? That's odd considering they are a Hilton property (Hilton is/was notorious for high standards).  I usually check TripAdvisor for ratings and cross reference Find Optimal when time permits.
I got a very good rate at Candlewood in Kansas City back in December during their holiday special.

hbelkins

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on February 04, 2019, 10:39:55 AM
I personally would be leery of hotels in/around Memphis much below $100/night...but I travel enough that I have moderate-to-high standards for hotels.  I generally aim for non-deluxe, business road-warrior grade places these days.  There are probably places that are OK at lower rates...but I travel enough that I don't like gambling when it comes to sleep.  :)

TripAdvisor is your friend. And $100/night is well out of my budget. Are reviews of cheaper places not to be trusted?

EDIT: I would prefer/recommend having lunch at Jason's Deli as it doesn't seem that the McAllister's location in Cordova would work IMHO.

Why wouldn't it work, if it's near the sights Jason wants to showcase during the meet tour?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 13, 2019, 08:24:19 PM
I'll be here, one way or another.  I have the wild idea of taking the City of New Orleans down and back, or flying down then the train back just for something different.
The train isn't a bad idea, since it's overnight in both directions and you could even take the train from Joliet to Union Station to connect with the CONO.

The only potential hiccup is that I'm pretty sure you can't rent a car near the Memphis train station and would need to cab it to/from MEM to do so.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 12:48:53 PM
I'll be here, one way or another.  I have the wild idea of taking the City of New Orleans down and back, or flying down then the train back just for something different.
The train isn't a bad idea, since it's overnight in both directions and you could even take the train from Joliet to Union Station to connect with the CONO.

The only potential hiccup is that I'm pretty sure you can't rent a car near the Memphis train station and would need to cab it to/from MEM to do so.

Call Enterprise ;)

Brandon

It's easier, timewise, to drive over to Homewood & back.  As for in Memphis, that's what friends are for. :-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on February 04, 2019, 12:59:54 PM

Call Enterprise ;)
I stand corrected, there is an Enterprise near the station, although I'm not sure their hours of operation jibe with the CONO's arrival/departure times.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on February 04, 2019, 01:15:58 PMIt's easier, timewise, to drive over to Homewood & back.
You could potentially end up with a crappier seat than what you'd get departing CUS (assuming you're not planning on getting a sleeper compartment).

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2019, 11:40:03 AM

TripAdvisor is your friend. And $100/night is well out of my budget. Are reviews of cheaper places not to be trusted?

Why wouldn't it work, if it's near the sights Jason wants to showcase during the meet tour?

Just a personal preference, that's all. Not a big deal in fact.

mattpedersen

Now it looks like I'm out because I didn't get the leave request in by 1/31. If I'm off I might fly in.

jpi

There is plenty of decent lodging around the Bartlett area of I-40 around exit 18, there is a Microtel in the area by IKEA that Steph and I have stayed at and is decent, also if Steph can get off work early on Friday we will be coming in late evening on Friday and staying until Sunday, Brandon if you do take the train we can pick you up however we have never been to the train station before but I am sure it is not hard to find, also I am planning on renting a mini van for the weekend similar to what I have rented at my other meets.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

I generally have a hotel policy of 3 stars minimum on any review sites with more than 2-3 reviews. This includes TA, Google maps, sometimes Yelp, along with the various booking sites like Kayak and Priceline. Yelp tends to be used the least and has the most negative reviews. In general, once you see a few sites you have a general idea of the hotel. Also read reviews regarding room noise, cleanliness, and location. Ignore staff rudeness or one-off complaints about bugs that don't show up in any other review. If you see 3 or more reviews discussing the same topic, take it as gospel. In the end, I have generally found very good stays at places under 80.

hbelkins

Quote from: jpi on February 04, 2019, 05:53:21 PM
There is plenty of decent lodging around the Bartlett area of I-40 around exit 18, there is a Microtel in the area by IKEA that Steph and I have stayed at and is decent, also if Steph can get off work early on Friday we will be coming in late evening on Friday and staying until Sunday, Brandon if you do take the train we can pick you up however we have never been to the train station before but I am sure it is not hard to find, also I am planning on renting a mini van for the weekend similar to what I have rented at my other meets.

I think I stayed there at that Microtel years ago, but can't remember for sure.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I stayed at a Sleep/Quality Inn near I-40/Tn 14 in Raleigh for my Memphis stay couple of weeks back.
Pros: price averaged out at $68 a night (after all the taxes, fees, & safe rental fee)
        Continental breakfast was good.
        Clean room & prompt service
Cons: Broken back door to the hotel (This drove me nuts because the back entrance was closer to my hotel room than the front)
         Shower stall leaked like a sieve
         My bed was stiff as a tree (maybe I should have asked for a softer bed) 

Price might be higher come spring, but I was content with my room, and if I were staying in Memphis for a night or two, I'd book this hotel again.

----
As for lunch/dinner; I ended up eating on Beale street each night, except Saturday, so I didn't get a chance to cruise Stage Rd (Tn 15/US 64) to look for food options.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

MikeTheActuary

What can I say?  I'm picky....and in the case of Memphis, I have the (perhaps unfair) baggage of knowing the city a little too well.  ("Sure, that place is only $70/night, but that neighborhood...." or "Wow, I remember when that was an hourly rate place....")

Quote from: US71 on February 04, 2019, 11:13:56 AM
Hampton? That's odd considering they are a Hilton property (Hilton is/was notorious for high standards).

I've had hit-or-miss experiences with Hampton.  Now that I'm back to being a Hilton loyalist (since my hotel in Montreal changed brands), Hampton's back to being my go-to, unless I have a reason not to stay at a particular property.

Usually they're pretty good...except when they're not.   Of the three Hamptons I've tried in Memphis, the score was: a couple of roaches, two dirty rooms (same check-in), and one smashed rental car windshield.

In fairness, I could have had just bad luck, and perhaps the other Hamptons in town wouldn't have provided quite such memorable experiences.  :)

US71

I stayed at Econo Lodge when I went for the 269 dedication. Decent room, exterior corridor, so-so breakfast. For one night it might be OK, but for a weekend, I'm not sure.

jpi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 05, 2019, 04:32:10 PM
I stayed at a Sleep/Quality Inn near I-40/Tn 14 in Raleigh for my Memphis stay couple of weeks back.
Pros: price averaged out at $68 a night (after all the taxes, fees, & safe rental fee)
        Continental breakfast was good.
        Clean room & prompt service
Cons: Broken back door to the hotel (This drove me nuts because the back entrance was closer to my hotel room than the front)
         Shower stall leaked like a sieve
         My bed was stiff as a tree (maybe I should have asked for a softer bed) 

Price might be higher come spring, but I was content with my room, and if I were staying in Memphis for a night or two, I'd book this hotel again.

----
As for lunch/dinner; I ended up eating on Beale street each night, except Saturday, so I didn't get a chance to cruise Stage Rd (Tn 15/US 64) to look for food options.
I have actually stayed at that same hotel several times over the years, it is one of the closest ones to a toy show I do at the Bartlett community center a few miles down the road, it is in a sketchy area but overall I have never had a problem with the place.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2019, 07:47:18 PM
I stayed at Econo Lodge when I went for the 269 dedication. Decent room, exterior corridor, so-so breakfast. For one night it might be OK, but for a weekend, I'm not sure.

Where was it located? That would be an option for me if I am able to attend this meet. The exterior corridors are a plus in my book.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2019, 11:12:33 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2019, 07:47:18 PM

Where was it located? That would be an option for me if I am able to attend this meet. The exterior corridors are a plus in my book.

Off Sycamore View , Macon Rd I believe.  3-4 other hotels close by if memory serves correct

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.