News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jcn on March 20, 2018, 07:39:02 PM
Do you believe that all of this snow we've been having this month will cause the ramps to not open until 2019 now?  I feel like mother nature is doing this just to delay 95 becoming continuous even more.

Was by there this past weekend.  No, I think they should be able to open it in August and complete I-95 (never mind that Congress back in 1983 (see below) mandated that I-95 follow the far east end of the East-West Mainline of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and then the Pennsylvania Extension of the New Jersey Turnpike and the mainline of the N.J. Turnpike north of Exit 6 as a substitute for the cancelled Somerset Freeway).  All of the steel for the flyover ramps appears to have been hung (though there appears to be a lot of bridge deck that needs to have concrete poured and cured still). 

There's also a fair amount of work remaining on the Delaware Expressway south of the point where the flyovers will tie in, but I think there will be plenty of time to get that work done as well.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-96/pdf/STATUTE-96-Pg2097.pdf

[Emphasis added below]

QuoteWITHDRAWAL  AND  DESIGNATION  OF  CERTAIN  INTERSTATE  ROUTES 
SEC.  162. (a) Notwithstanding  the  first  sentence  of section  103(e)(4)  of  title  23,  United   States  Code,  the  Secretary   of  Transportation shall,  upon  application  of the  State  of  New  Jersey,  withdraw  under  such  section  103(e)(4) his approval  of the  designation  on the  National  System  of Interstate  and  Defense  Highways  of the  portion  of  Interstate  Route  95 and  Interstate  Route  695  from  the  intersection  with Interstate  Route  295  in  Hopewell  Township,  Mercer  County,  New Jersey,  to  the  proposed  intersection  with  Interstate  Route  287  in Franklin  Township, Somerset  County,  New  Jersey. 

(b)  Notwithstanding  any  other  provision  of  law,  the  Secretary  of Transportation  is authorized  and  directed, pursuant  to section  103 of such title, to designate as part  of the Interstate  Highway  System  the New  Jersey  Turnpike   from   exit   10  to  the interchange  with the Pennsylvania  Turnpike  and  the Pennsylvania  Turnpike  from  such interchange  to  and  including  the  proposed  interchange  with  Interstate Route  95 in Bucks County,  Pennsylvania

(c)  The  Secretary   of  Transportation   is  further   authorized   and   directed  to  designate  the  highways  described  in  subsection   (b)  as  Interstate  Route  95 and  assure through  proper  sign  designations  the  orderly  connection  of  Interstate  Route  95  pursuant  to  this  section.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

<<< ... and  the Pennsylvania  Turnpike  from  such interchange  to  and  including  the  proposed  interchange  with  Interstate Route  95 in Bucks County,  ... >>>

While the U.S. Code didn't demand the construction of the interchange (and I don't think they legally could), it acknowledges that the interchange was already proposed, and that would imply that both PennDOT and PTC had at least a preliminary design and had decided to fund and build it at least at some point in the near future.

So for the Code to codify this new route for I-95, its drafters acknowledged that there were current Interstate-grade highways in place to take the new route and an approved plan to connect the one gap.

Correct logic on my part?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

02 Park Ave

I believe that at one time there was a design to extend the Route 413 exit off of I-95 to the Delaware Valley interchange on the Turnpike.  Why it was never built, I don't know.
C-o-H

AMLNet49

So as of right now does I-95 officially do an imaginary "jump"  from the NB DelEx to the EB PTC? Because I know it's unsigned I-95 in NJ, but I also wonder if there's an unsigned multiplex between 276 and 95 to the cross-point.

Separelty I wonder how long "old 276"  signs will remain up after the changeover

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on March 21, 2018, 02:08:58 PM
While the U.S. Code didn't demand the construction of the interchange (and I don't think they legally could), it acknowledges that the interchange was already proposed, and that would imply that both PennDOT and PTC had at least a preliminary design and had decided to fund and build it at least at some point in the near future.

Congress has an excellent remedy that it could use to force PTC to stop with its many abusive practices, and that's to end the exemption from federal tax that interest on its bonds currently enjoy.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadsguy

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 21, 2018, 02:48:28 PM
I believe that at one time there was a design to extend the Route 413 exit off of I-95 to the Delaware Valley interchange on the Turnpike.  Why it was never built, I don't know.

Originally all of I-95 fed onto that stub and ended at 413. It was originally planned to continue out straight from there and somehow feed into US 13, follow the existing US 13 expressway around Levittown, then follow US 1 through Trenton before continuing from the end of that up through New Jersey as the original iteration of the Somerset Freeway proposal. However, if you've ever looked at any of those existing expressway sections, you'd know they'd obviously never handle the load of I-95, even in the early 1960s. They decided instead to reroute the proposed I-95 around Trenton on its current alignment, leaving the existing stub as a high-speed interchange that would've also served as the terminus of the proposed I-895, which would've continued southeast from the interchange across the river to I-295. You can even still see the
right-of-way for the loop connecting from the current SB on-ramp to I-895. The current SB off-ramp flyover, built much later than the rest, was also proposed to feed directly into 895. So this is why the connection exists and why the interchange with I-95 is so overpowered.

When the Somerset Freeway was cancelled and it became necessary (i.e. Congress forced them) to reroute I-95 onto the PA and NJ Turnpikes, extending this connection to the Turnpike was one of the options, with it passing through Silver Lake Park and connecting where the Delaware Valley Interchange trumpet is now. Because it passed through the park, and the necessary new interchange with PA 413 would be so close to the I-95 ramps that weaving would be an issue, this option was obviously not chosen.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 21, 2018, 04:47:52 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 21, 2018, 02:08:58 PM
Congress has an excellent remedy that it could use to force PTC to stop with its many abusive practices, and that's to end the exemption from federal tax that interest on its bonds currently enjoy.

But can they legally do that?  If they did it, would it withstand a lawsuit by the PTC?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on March 21, 2018, 06:12:51 PM
But can they legally do that?  If they did it, would it withstand a lawsuit by the PTC?

The U.S. Congress, not the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and not the Pennsylvania legislature, write the U.S. tax code.

If Congress decides to impose rules on exemption from federal tax of bonds issued by state and  local governments, then it may do so.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 21, 2018, 11:36:29 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 21, 2018, 06:12:51 PM
The U.S. Congress, not the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and not the Pennsylvania legislature, write the U.S. tax code.
If Congress decides to impose rules on exemption from federal tax of bonds issued by state and  local governments, then it may do so.

What is the standard practice with regard to toll road authorities on the matter of rules on exemption from federal tax of bonds issued by state and  local governments?

If PTC was treated differently from all the rest, then they may have grounds for a lawsuit in federal court, and the prospect getting that law overturned.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on March 21, 2018, 11:41:43 PM
What is the standard practice with regard to toll road authorities on the matter of rules on exemption from federal tax of bonds issued by state and  local governments?

Most (not all) bonds issued by states and other political subdivisions of the United States are exempt from federal tax.  Beyond that, you will need to ask a tax attorney, which I am not.

If PTC was treated differently from all the rest, then they may have grounds for a lawsuit in federal court, and the prospect getting that law overturned.

My idea is a Toll Road User Bill of rights, and have it enforceable by the federal government by requiring compliance, and for any toll road agency that fails to comply, then the exemption from federal tax goes away. 

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 21, 2018, 11:54:32 PM
My idea is a Toll Road User Bill of rights, and have it enforceable by the federal government by requiring compliance, and for any toll road agency that fails to comply, then the exemption from federal tax goes away. 

With a certain type of project such as a Breezewood connection there would need to be a specification of what to build and by a certain date. 

PennDOT would be half of the agency effort to build the connection ... penalizing PTC wouldn't force PennDOT to take any action.  I can also see them making excuses and delaying starting the project.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 21, 2018, 05:01:33 PMWhen the Somerset Freeway was cancelled and it became necessary (i.e. Congress forced them) to reroute I-95 onto the PA and NJ Turnpikes, extending this connection to the Turnpike was one of the options, with it passing through Silver Lake Park and connecting where the Delaware Valley Interchange trumpet is now. Because it passed through the park, and the necessary new interchange with PA 413 would be so close to the I-95 ramps that weaving would be an issue, this option was obviously not chosen.
Another issue that triggered a redesigned interchange (to a higher-speed flyover ramp designs) was the fact that the trumpet-like interchange with the PA Turnpike would've created traffic backups with the through I-95 movements even with the mainline toll/ticket plaza being relocated west of the interchange (which already happened a few years ago).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 22, 2018, 10:27:00 AMAnother issue that triggered a redesigned interchange (to a higher-speed flyover ramp designs) was the fact that the trumpet-like interchange with the PA Turnpike would've created traffic backups with the through I-95 movements even with the mainline toll/ticket plaza being relocated west of the interchange (which already happened a few years ago).

That makes sense.

I wonder if the two lanes each way (at least for now) Turnpike Bridge over the Delaware River will be an even worse bottleneck for I-95 traffic once the ramps at Bristol are completed and open to traffic.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 22, 2018, 11:42:39 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 22, 2018, 10:27:00 AMAnother issue that triggered a redesigned interchange (to a higher-speed flyover ramp designs) was the fact that the trumpet-like interchange with the PA Turnpike would've created traffic backups with the through I-95 movements even with the mainline toll/ticket plaza being relocated west of the interchange (which already happened a few years ago).

That makes sense.

I wonder if the two lanes each way (at least for now) Turnpike Bridge over the Delaware River will be an even worse bottleneck for I-95 traffic once the ramps at Bristol are completed and open to traffic.

Put it this way - I don't think it's going to look pretty.  I think they're taking a little too much time with this particular project.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 22, 2018, 12:02:20 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 22, 2018, 11:42:39 AM

That makes sense.

Put it this way - I don't think it's going to look pretty.  I think they're taking a little too much time with this particular project.
It remains to be seen how much more volume the bridge gets. It might be that most of the traffic that will use the new interchange is currently ending up on the PA Turnpike some other way (like via US 1 and/or US 13)

roadman65

Not to sound too cynical or a pessimistic, but it is normal nowadays to address a problem later than sooner.
I think we have been in a hurry to get the I-95 gap closed for over 5 decades we are not looking at everything including crossing our T's and dotting our i's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

The original timeline was for the NJ Turnpike widening, the full I-95/PA Turnpike interchange, and a new NJ/PA Turnpike Bridge to be completed all around the same time.  Instead, we get the NJ Turnpike widening; the NJ/PA Turnpike bridge cracks, and still waiting on 25% of the 95/PA Tpk interchange to be finished!

roadman65

Yeah things always come up.  I am just wondering if a total bridge replacement would be better as those cracks did show engineers some things or two.   Being that the Goethalas was replaced rather than twinned, it may be safe to conclude to declare this current structure deficient and go the whole 100 yards with a brand new bridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2018, 01:54:32 PM
Yeah things always come up.  I am just wondering if a total bridge replacement would be better as those cracks did show engineers some things or two.   Being that the Goethalas was replaced rather than twinned, it may be safe to conclude to declare this current structure deficient and go the whole 100 yards with a brand new bridge.

The Delaware River Turnpike Bridge had one cracked structural beam.  That was caused by "plug welds" that were used to fill holes that were drilled there by mistake when it was constructed in the 1950's.  That has been corrected and I believe the  bridge will be there for many years to come (I believe that all of the structural steel was checked for other plug welds while it was closed to all traffic and none were found).  I suppose the long-term plan is to construct a new parallel span over the Delaware (costs being split between the PTC and NJTA) sometime between 2020 and 2030 to provide added capacity between the two turnpikes.

cpzilliacus

NBC Philadelphia: Decades Later, 'Last Piece' Missing From 1,900 Miles of I-95 Put in Place in Bucks County, Pennsylvania - For decades, 16 miles in central Jersey made up the only place on the East Coast where drivers traveling I-95 had to get off the highway for a short time. Come August, no more.

QuoteThe massive steel beams went up over Interstate 95 just north of Philadelphia in mid-February without fanfare. Over two nights, workers completed an overpass that is still months from use.

QuoteBut the connection is much more than a causeway of steel and concrete. It's the last piece to a highway more than 60 years in the making. It's the completion of a 1,900-mile road that finally links Maine to Miami seamlessly.

QuoteFor decades, central New Jersey, specifically Mercer County, was the only remaining place on the East Coast where drivers traveling I-95 had to get off the highway for a short time. For the last four decades, building a link has been in planning.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 23, 2018, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2018, 01:54:32 PM

The Delaware River Turnpike Bridge had one cracked structural beam.  That was caused by "plug welds" that were used to fill holes that were drilled there by mistake when it was constructed in the 1950's.  That has been corrected and I believe the  bridge will be there for many years to come (I believe that all of the structural steel was checked for other plug welds while it was closed to all traffic and none were found).  I suppose the long-term plan is to construct a new parallel span over the Delaware (costs being split between the PTC and NJTA) sometime between 2020 and 2030 to provide added capacity between the two turnpikes.
My assumption is that they bought a few years by fortunately discovering no other plug welds, but they're still going to be interested in a complete replacement - parallel span, move four lanes of traffic over, demo and rebuild this one.

akotchi

An update of sorts on the resigning efforts . . . Passing through the Mercer County section of I-95/I-295:  There are a few signs that have not been changed yet by NJDOT -- they are somewhat random.  I-95 confirmations are still out there, though most have been removed.  No new I-295 confirmations yet.

Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission has started changing exit numbers and pull through signs, at least on the New Jersey side.  Using greenout and overlays, since most signing will be removed because of the Scudder Falls Bridge construction.  Exit 76 now exists.  So does Exit 10, at least on one sign leaving New Jersey which is for the Taylorsville Road interchange upon entering Pennsylvania.

Photos to come later -- no safe places to pull off and take shots, and I am not that adept at driving and snapping at the same time.  Some interesting perspectives.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jwolfer

It's crazy to think Somerset Expressway was only 16 miles.. it reminds me of the "between the beltways" part of i95 between Baltimore and Washington..

Does anyone know how many lanes this was supposed to be? 6 or 8?

If it had been built what is now 287 near New Brunswick and exit 10 of NJTP would be a mess.  I am sure the NJTP authority signage would have everything possible to keep long distance traffic as toll paying customers, and really it is the easier way than going thru Center City Philadelphia with the soon to be 95 thru route or the exit 10 configuration.

Z981

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on March 24, 2018, 03:50:50 PM
An update of sorts on the resigning efforts . . . Passing through the Mercer County section of I-95/I-295:  There are a few signs that have not been changed yet by NJDOT -- they are somewhat random.  I-95 confirmations are still out there, though most have been removed.  No new I-295 confirmations yet.

Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission has started changing exit numbers and pull through signs, at least on the New Jersey side.  Using greenout and overlays, since most signing will be removed because of the Scudder Falls Bridge construction.  Exit 76 now exists.  So does Exit 10, at least on one sign leaving New Jersey which is for the Taylorsville Road interchange upon entering Pennsylvania.
I went by that area yesterday, for a job visit at nearby TTN airport.  Regarding that for-mentioned Exit 10B-A BGS; it appeared that there was the OLD EXIT 31 sign (that should've been taken down years ago) was modified to read OLD EXIT 51A-B.

It's worth noting that the stretch of I-95 (Future I-295) in PA still has most of its OLD EXIT XX signs around.  When PennDOT re-signs its stretch; one has to wonder whether they'll just place new numbers onto the old squares similar to what was done for the lone Exit 10B-A BGS or just replace the old panels with new ones.

Who knows, maybe PennDOT will stupidly place a new set of OLD EXIT XX square next to its older counterparts.  Either that or modify the originals to read OLD-OLD EXIT XX:sombrero:

Back to the NJ side of the river:  for one supplemental Exit 1 (new Exit 76) sign for the State Police Museum had its 1 listing replaced with a larger 76 panel.  Such is large enough that half of the new panel extends beyond the main panel.  Personally, I would expect this sloppiness to come from PennDOT not NJDOT.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr. Matté

Quote from: akotchi on March 24, 2018, 03:50:50 PM

A lot of the local roads' signs have been swapped out, as seen on my bike ride along the east-central portion of CR 546 about two weeks ago, all the shields are 295 now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.