ISTHA to Phase Out Toll Collection Buckets

Started by paulthemapguy, February 27, 2017, 07:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

You know those buckets or baskets you throw your change into at the toll boths?  Illinois's Toll Highway Authority is planning to finally get rid of this antiquated technology, replacing the buckets with a new machine employing the use of a touchscreen interface.  A major perk of the new machines is that they will accept credit cards and paper money in addition to coins, though unfortunately this increases the feasibility of charging individuals well into the multiple dollar range.

http://wgntv.com/2017/02/27/tollway-buckets-going-by-the-wayside/

Are other states changing over to new methods to collect tolls from those who don't have an electronic toll transponder like I-Pass or EZ-Pass?  Do you think this type of technology may replace human toll booth workers as well?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

I-39

We've been talking about this in the Illinois Tollway Notes thread

paulthemapguy

Yeah I realized this 1/2 hour after I posted this.  I could never scream NEVER MIND as loud as I want to right now lol

kphoger

But now what will people do with all their pennies?  Do the baskets still accept pennies?  They did back when I lived in the area in the early 00s.  I used to put enough pennies for the toll into a Frisbee or a stocking cap, then I'd dump the thing out into the basket.  Whirrr, clink, clack, whirrr, click, click, whirr, tat-a-tat, whirr, clack, go ahead!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2017, 09:29:28 PM
But now what will people do with all their pennies?  Do the baskets still accept pennies?  They did back when I lived in the area in the early 00s.  I used to put enough pennies for the toll into a Frisbee or a stocking cap, then I'd dump the thing out into the basket.  Whirrr, clink, clack, whirrr, click, click, whirr, tat-a-tat, whirr, clack, go ahead!
they better add I-pass only lanes to the 1 lane ramps as I don't want get stuck behind someone feeding 100+ pennies one at a time.

quickshade

I mean the next logical step is a system that works via a cell phone app and collects the toll that way. I think it is still a few years off but it eliminates the need for the boxes and would hopefully unify the systems better across state lines into one standard.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: quickshade on February 27, 2017, 10:55:31 PM
I mean the next logical step is a system that works via a cell phone app and collects the toll that way. I think it is still a few years off but it eliminates the need for the boxes and would hopefully unify the systems better across state lines into one standard.

But it turns out the app is only for iPhone.

froggie

QuoteWe've been talking about this in the Illinois Tollway Notes thread

A thread that got quickly subsumed by speed limit talk...

Regarding the phase-out, why not just go AET?  Would enable highway-speed for all users.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on February 28, 2017, 06:46:23 AM
Regarding the phase-out, why not just go AET?  Would enable highway-speed for all users.

Paying a toll while driving takes less time than going to a website and paying. In addition, AET means the owner of the car has to pay, not necessarily the driver.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on February 28, 2017, 08:00:29 AM

Paying a toll while driving takes less time than going to a website and paying. In addition, AET means the owner of the car has to pay, not necessarily the driver.

Whoever is paying for the gas should also be the one paying for the tolls.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 28, 2017, 04:02:48 AM
Quote from: quickshade on February 27, 2017, 10:55:31 PM

But it turns out the app is only for iPhone.
and apple wanted 30% of each toll.

Joe The Dragon

and rip-off rent a car can bill an $7.99 per day (of the rental) + full toll rate as added fee.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 28, 2017, 08:38:55 AM

If my friends borrow my car to attend a concert downtown, why should I be on the hook for the tolls?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2017, 01:01:03 PM

If my friends borrow my car to attend a concert downtown, why should I be on the hook for the tolls?

Why should you be on the hook for the gas as well? 

The Ghostbuster

It's about time. Toll booths and toll collection buckets are so 20th century. Tolls can be collected electronically, and that should be the only pricing format used from now on.

SEWIGuy

That's between you and your friends. 

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 28, 2017, 01:22:41 PM

KRAMER: You know, uh, oftentimes, Jerry - he lend me his car and I find myself in a situation where the car is almost out of gas. But, for a variety of reasons, I

don't want to be the one responsible for purchasing costly gasoline.

kphoger

I'm not necessarily. I could simply tell my friends to put ten bucks of gas in when they're done. In fact, a reasonable person does that anyway when they borrow a car for more than a short jaunt.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Why do you have such deadbeat friends?
:rolleyes:

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2017, 09:29:28 PM

Back when most of the mainline tolls were 40 cents, my parents would fill Baggies with 40 pennies and dump them in the hopper at each toll plaza.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2017, 05:41:12 PM

I'm not necessarily. I could simply tell my friends to put ten bucks of gas in when they're done. In fact, a reasonable person does that anyway when they borrow a car for more than a short jaunt.

Or, to put it another way...

If I lived in Rockford and borrowed my parents' pickup truck to purchase a washer and dryer in Chicago, then why should my parents have to be billed for the highway tolls?  I can promise to purchase the gas needed to refill, but...
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2017, 01:16:12 PM

If I lived in Rockford and borrowed my parents' pickup truck to purchase a washer and dryer in Chicago, then why should my parents have to be billed for the highway tolls?  I can promise to purchase the gas needed to refill, but...

Give them $5 to cover the tolls.  This really is a minor issue.

paulthemapguy

I like to handle something the moment it's relevant so I don't forget about it later.  I'd like methods of toll collection to remain in a fashion such that they're handled in-situ, rather than having to remember to pay the toll on a website or phone app later on.  Adding online access could be a helpful tool, but it should be supplementary at best, imo.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2017, 01:16:12 PM

Just swap out their I-Pass for yours.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 01, 2017, 04:46:37 PM
I like to handle something the moment it's relevant so I don't forget about it later.  I'd like methods of toll collection to remain in a fashion such that they're handled in-situ, rather than having to remember to pay the toll on a website or phone app later on.  Adding online access could be a helpful tool, but it should be supplementary at best, imo.
what about pay by mail?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.