News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

After 75 FEET of snow, North Cascades Hwy to open late

Started by Landshark, May 16, 2011, 09:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landshark

agentsteel53

that first picture is gorgeous.  I have never driven US-2 or WA-20 in Washington and I must clearly do both.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Landshark

^ SR-20 is a must drive its entire stretch.  After a short start at Discovery Bay, it crosses to Whidbey Island on a ferry and then crosses the scenic Deception Pass.  At the east end, hit US-2 for a short stretch in Idaho to get the multi-state 200, which is also very scenic in its Idaho and Montana stretches.

Deception Pass:

agentsteel53

I have driven the entire MSR-200, from Idaho to Minnesota, but at the time I did not think to consider the WA-20 route as an "extension" of it.

<fictional-highways>I'd still sign the entire route as either US-0 or US-402.</fictional-highways>
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Landshark

The 20/200.  Great road trip.  Never have made it all the way to Floodwood, yet.  The towns are fun too.  Port Townsend, Coupeville, Anacortes, La Conner (very short side track), Winthrop, Republic, Sandpoint, Missoula...

Tarkus

Wow, now that's a pile of snow.  Definitely need to get up to WA-20 one of these days . . . of course, obviously, no hurry given the weather conditions. :spin:

<fictional highways>Since the number's already sort of established, and we have a few other recent US Route additions that are violators (*cough* US-425 *cough), why not US-200?</fictional highways>

Landshark

Here is a link to some pictures of the snow removal effort from the Seattle Times:

North Cascades Highway snow removal

Landshark

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.