News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 19, 2018, 06:38:24 PM
I thought the Florida's Turnpike was intended to have limited access.  If they keep building more access why pay to use it?
There is already an exit from i4 to the Turnpike ( this is the intersection that Walt Disney saw from a plan and made him decide to Disney World in Orlando area BTW)

I live in Groveland/Clermont area and use the turnpike every day to get to work off OBT.  I really wish the i4 ultimate project made the i4/Turnpike interchange into a high speed stack like at 429/turnpike.. there is at least a mile back up on the SB turnpike at the exit almost every day.. the old ticket toll road double trumpet.. it would have been very expensive to change the configuration, the construction and ROW would have been a fortune with all the development adjacent to the exit.

The OBT/528   exit is just a cluster f***k. You could include to consulate drive pseudo exit in there too... It's sort of cool with all the roads involved but always a back up.. there are industrial parks all around there and the surface roads are loaded with 18 wheelers.. it takes forever to get through the Landstreet Road/OBT traffic light

Interestingly there is a Florida forestry service fire tower just north of there on OBT.. give a clue of how not too long ago the area was very rural

Z981

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on February 08, 2018, 01:55:18 PM
I really wish the i4 ultimate project made the i4/Turnpike interchange into a high speed stack like at 429/turnpike.. there is at least a mile back up on the SB turnpike at the exit almost every day.. the old ticket toll road double trumpet..
That's because of mall traffic entering from Conroy. A C/D road should at least keep the backups off the main lanes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on February 08, 2018, 03:22:30 PM
I really wish the i4 ultimate project made the i4/Turnpike interchange into a high speed stack like at 429/turnpike.. there is at least a mile back up on the SB turnpike at the exit almost every day.. the old ticket toll road double trumpet..
That's because of mall traffic entering from Conroy. A C/D road should at least keep the backups off the main lanes.

That will help i4 for sure.. I am talking about back up on the Turnpike itself.  Those could be because of the construction , not sure because I never took this route before the ultimate began .. turn radius is bigger on one of the loops as well... I am sure the new toll booth will be set up for AET as well... AET will help too

Z981

roadman65

I thought the Florida's Turnpike was intended to have limited access.  If they keep building more access why pay to use it?
There is already an exit from i4 to the Turnpike ( this is the intersection that Walt Disney saw from a plan and made him decide to Disney World in Orlando area BTW)

I live in Groveland/Clermont area and use the turnpike every day to get to work off OBT.  I really wish the i4 ultimate project made the i4/Turnpike interchange into a high speed stack like at 429/turnpike.. there is at least a mile back up on the SB turnpike at the exit almost every day.. the old ticket toll road double trumpet.. it would have been very expensive to change the configuration, the construction and ROW would have been a fortune with all the development adjacent to the exit.

The OBT/528   exit is just a cluster f***k. You could include to consulate drive pseudo exit in there too... It's sort of cool with all the roads involved but always a back up.. there are industrial parks all around there and the surface roads are loaded with 18 wheelers.. it takes forever to get through the Landstreet Road/OBT traffic light

Interestingly there is a Florida forestry service fire tower just north of there on OBT.. give a clue of how not too long ago the area was very rural

Z981

They are redoing the Exit 254, but not including what it needs.  That Landstreet intersection, no matter how long it gives Landstreet the green light, there is still tons of 18 wheelers in queue again and again.  Then Orange County puts a camera for light jumpers because they know that NB OBT has to wait three or four light changes to pass through, so they know frustration will tempt them to run the signal.

I-4 at the Florida Turnpike and SR 528 at the Turnpike need to have high speed flyovers.  Funny you should mention the latter as I work the third shift tonight at I-4 and the FL Turnpike and its dead all night there, but during the day its totally non stop.

They need braided ramps between the Turnpike and Conroy on I-4 like they done between Kirkman and Sand Lake going WB or at all the three Disney exits as the Ultimate is not addressing that issue.  The strange thing is that Conroy was added within the past 25 years.  Both FDOT and the City of Orlando both should have been proactive on that one and built the ramps differently then, but of course they did not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on February 08, 2018, 06:42:49 PM

Z981

They are redoing the Exit 254, but not including what it needs.  That Landstreet intersection, no matter how long it gives Landstreet the green light, there is still tons of 18 wheelers in queue again and again.  Then Orange County puts a camera for light jumpers because they know that NB OBT has to wait three or four light changes to pass through, so they know frustration will tempt them to run the signal.

I-4 at the Florida Turnpike and SR 528 at the Turnpike need to have high speed flyovers.  Funny you should mention the latter as I work the third shift tonight at I-4 and the FL Turnpike and its dead all night there, but during the day its totally non stop.

They need braided ramps between the Turnpike and Conroy on I-4 like they done between Kirkman and Sand Lake going WB or at all the three Disney exits as the Ultimate is not addressing that issue.  The strange thing is that Conroy was added within the past 25 years.  Both FDOT and the City of Orlando both should have been proactive on that one and built the ramps differently then, but of course they did not.
Consulate Dr exit is just too short.. and the traffic light at the end messes it all up..

I think the JYP/ Sand Lake Rd grade separation and improvements on Sand Lake Rd will help the OBT/turnpike/528 mess since it will give another viable alternative to leaving the Business Park and getting to I-4.. via Sand Lake Rd and/or Kirkman Rd ( even if it's just for me )

A JYP turnpike interchange would be nice for taking some demand off OBT/turnpike

Z981

roadman65

I think that at Taft Vineland Road an interchange should be needed there to takes some of the trucks off OBT as many come down their and fill up the left turn lane as each trailer is standard 53' while the cab takes up another 25.  Heck the new sleeper cabs some are 30 feet now in length, so either way those trucks cause the signal at OBT and Taft Vineland to work poorly as just 4 trucks can be the only ones through the protected left arrow.

However, after collecting tolls and seeing how many truck drivers are just ignorant of the nation's freeway network, but we have 50 semis a day come through the Beeline West, not counting the ones that go by when I am off work, but considering they spend an extra $1.61 per toll not subscribing to Sunpass, you add that up it goes into the five digits after a whole year.  I figured out at least 40.000 semis pay cash for the tolls per year and many claim how they are all first timers to the region.  I do not know about numbers of just how many truckers are employed in all 48 continguous states, but out of them for 40 grand to be first time users of Florida's highways seems a high number for those who are trying out new routes or just recently employed.  Anyway, nonetheless they would still not figure out there is a new interchange or smart enough to get a Sunpass to exit as it would be all ORT ramps coming from the North.

The JYP and SandLake should help some, but ideally the Taft-Vineland idea would be best or even one at Central Florida Parkway as it connects to the warehouse and industry along the Taft-Vineland and Tradeport area.   

Also the Taft- Vineland and OBT intersection should have been modified years ago.  They had three chances as OBT was widened from just south of there to Sand Lake in 1999.  No intersection improvements then.  Second that intersection was again altered to extend Taft Vineland Road to JYP in 2000 and no further improvements done.  And lastly, when Taft-Vineland Road was widened to four lanes west of OBT, as not only did they think to redo the intersection again, but the project had Taft- Vineland's new four lane portion end before OBT and drops to two lane status into that busy intersection.  So the third is not only ignorance of the demand for more turn lanes on OBT, but the fact you have a four lane road become two lanes prior to a major intersection which is usually never heard of. Usually lane drops occur post intersection and not before it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

∆∆∆

I noticed the Taft Vineland Rd drop to 2 lanes before OBT, it was weird.

OBT is just a mess. Lots of traffic, trucks, pedestrians and businesses.

Z981

Brian556

How much of the traffic on OBT is visitors? I wonder if the traffic volume on OBT could be reduced by moving the US 17/92/441 designations to JYP?

I like now they are willing to do grade separations for arterial intersections. Flower Mound, TX and TxDOT really need to learn that concept.

jwolfer

Quote from: Brian556 on February 10, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
How much of the traffic on OBT is visitors? I wonder if the traffic volume on OBT could be reduced by moving the US 17/92/441 designations to JYP?

I like now they are willing to do grade separations for arterial intersections. Flower Mound, TX and TxDOT really need to learn that concept.
OBT is just outside the tourist corridor, most visitors on there are  lost LOL. There are a lot of hotels but they are very cheap, hourly or housing for poor.

Pre interstate it was the through route, remember that pre-Disney Orlando was a sleepy mid sized Deep South City, center of citrus and cattle and some military/aerospace after WWII. 

There are a lot of retail businesses and restaurants along OBT, the Florida Mall. A lot of warehouses, distribution center type of businesses just off OBT. Most of the traffic is local and lots of 18 wheelers for a surface street

JYP being 17/92/441 would not change traffic that much. JYP does not have the businesses or Pedestrian traffic that OBT does but lots of residential areas are adjacent. Traffic lights on JYP have very long cycles. Grade separations would help

Z981

roadman65

Southchase and Hunters Creek are big contributors to the heavy volumes. It was not bad in the early 90's when OBT was the only north south corridor between Orlando and Kissimmee as JYP was in construction phases then to be the corridor it is now.  OBT did fine by itself and one could go the 9 miles from the Turnpike to US 192 in around 10 to 12 minutes.

Yes, JYP needs more grade separations like at Central Florida Parkway, and a flyover at FL 528 as they are keeping the parclo despite the weaving in the NB lanes is terrible.  Even to have converted it to a diamond would be better than it is now.

Also JYP at Conroy and Oakridge needs grade separations with either a DDI or SPUI at both.  The intersection at Town Center Blvd needs to be grade separated as well.

One light I hate along OBT is the Stable Drive signal that was added in 2011 when Walmart Neighborhood Market opened which has the longest wait cycle of all the signals from Landstreet to Osceola Parkway.  Why?  Cause its a Walmart store that paid for the signal, and two the apartments behind it are Section 8 Housing which allows for affirmative action to be used for giving the road leading in and out of the dwellings to get first class treatment. 

Another thing that sucks is that the owners of Walmart won't connect the plaza next to it with their parking lot so people from Deerfield have to enter the busy trail and wait for two light changes just to go local.  The OBT has enough traffic to let alone have Deefield locals add more to it all because of selfish behavior because two landlords do not want to share their parking lots!  They even put up a fence between the two as some parked in one lot and walked over to the next to avoid driving OBT.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

(Orlando Area) I noticed that CR 439 is no longer marked on Google Maps.  Anybody know if the designation has been dropped?

jwolfer

Quote from: Brian556 on March 02, 2018, 08:38:25 PM
(Orlando Area) I noticed that CR 439 is no longer marked on Google Maps.  Anybody know if the designation has been dropped?
Turkey Lake Rd is CR439... Not signed at all.  I had a patient recently who was in a car accident on Turkey Lake Rd, the police report said "CR439( Turkey Lake Rd)"

I don't think designation was dropped, but Orange County, like other urban FL counties ( Duval, Miami-Dade) rarely sign County Roads.  The only time I see CR pentagon's is on FDOT maintained roads at some junctions

Z981

jwolfer

I noticed last weekend driving on I-95 NB toward the i-4 junction that new BGS show new exit number for US92... It will be some sort of CD road.. it shows exit 260ABC for US 92/i4/SR400.. no more exit 261... Didn't get pic sorry

Z981

Brian556

Quote from: jwolfer on March 02, 2018, 11:24:11 PM
Turkey Lake Rd is CR439... Not signed at all.  I had a patient recently who was in a car accident on Turkey Lake Rd, the police report said "CR439( Turkey Lake Rd)"

I don't think designation was dropped, but Orange County, like other urban FL counties ( Duval, Miami-Dade) rarely sign County Roads.  The only time I see CR pentagon's is on FDOT maintained roads at some junctions

Z981

CR 439 has only been marked at SR 50 since before 1991. It was, however, fully marked on Google Maps until recently

jwolfer

Quote from: Brian556 on March 03, 2018, 10:15:49 AM

Z981

CR 439 has only been marked at SR 50 since before 1991. It was, however, fully marked on Google Maps until recently
Lake County has 439 marked from SR 44 to CR 42... A lot of times CR we're SSR or SR in past or they have a long unsigned multiplex with SR.  I wish these were better marked

Z981

roadman65

On FL 438 at Hiawassee it shows CR 435 heading south with Lake County type of full border pentagons.  Also the north segment of Apopka- Vineland north of FL 438 has a CR 435 shield as well.

The county route overlaps with FL 438 between the two roads as all of Apopka- Vineland is CR 435, however the gap between FL 50 and Old Winter Garden Road (the section from SR 50 to SR 438 was added in the late 90's as part of development there) has the overlap, plus aligning on Hiawassee, and doubling back on Old Winter Garden Road to make it continuous.

Also do not steal from FL.  A coworker of mine stole 117 dollars from the toll cash, thinking FL would not miss the money.  Not only did he get caught at the act, but got arrested and processed for it.   Although I feel sorry for the guy as he had to go through the embarrassment of being handcuffed, but at the same time he got what he deserved if he though the state would be stupid considering the computers you log the tolls and the cameras everywhere.  Now the dude will face having a record for the rest of his life over a measly 117 dollars.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

I don't think designation was dropped, but Orange County, like other urban FL counties ( Duval, Miami-Dade) rarely sign County Roads.  The only time I see CR pentagon's is on FDOT maintained roads at some junctions[/size]

There was one pentagon for 439 posted just south of SR 50 in 2008.

Having driven just about all of the Orange County County roads (except for parts of Landstreet Road and Boggy Creek Road), they are very poorly signed, if at all.

D-Dey65

I still need info on the clearance for the new I-75 bridge over US 98-FL 50 in Ridge Manor West.

:confused:

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

SunPass rental car query.

My wife is thinking about visiting her sister for a weekend this spring. We have a SunPass (attached with scotch tape and thus movable from car to car). If she flies down and rents a car and brings our device with her, and calls me to add it to our account before she leaves the rental lot, would that be sufficient to ensure the car rental place doesn't stick her with the daily SunPass convenience fee for using their account? She'd be flying into and out of Orlando MCO and using the Bee Line across to I-95, if that matters.

(Basically the goal is to make sure she doesn't get socked with some annoying fee when we already have a SunPass.)

Thanks in advance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2018, 07:40:49 AM

My wife is thinking about visiting her sister for a weekend this spring. We have a SunPass (attached with scotch tape and thus movable from car to car). If she flies down and rents a car and brings our device with her, and calls me to add it to our account before she leaves the rental lot, would that be sufficient to ensure the car rental place doesn't stick her with the daily SunPass convenience fee for using their account? She'd be flying into and out of Orlando MCO and using the Bee Line across to I-95, if that matters.

(Basically the goal is to make sure she doesn't get socked with some annoying fee when we already have a SunPass.)

Thanks in advance.

Should be good if you go the Sunpass website and add the rental to it.  Sunpass even has an option to set an expiration date that you can set.  I used to do the same thing when family visited me when I lived in Orlando.

jdb1234

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2018, 10:07:51 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2018, 07:40:49 AM

Thanks in advance.

Should be good if you go the Sunpass website and add the rental to it.  Sunpass even has an option to set an expiration date that you can set.  I used to do the same thing when family visited me when I lived in Orlando.
I was going to say the same thing as I rented a car and drove to Marco Island last summer.  As long as you enter the correct information you should be fine.

Forgot to add:  Toll charges take a while to post on Orlando Expressways.  My dad drove through a toll plaza of FL 429 near my aunt's house and it took nearly 12 hours to post to my account!

Avalanchez71

What is one does not plan on travelling on any toll roads do they still charge a Sun Pass device fee?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 09, 2018, 01:30:20 PM
What is one does not plan on travelling on any toll roads do they still charge a Sun Pass device fee?

Usually the rental car company will just ask you if want a Sun Pass device. 

Jim

It's possible I'm confusing it with a rental somewhere else, but I think my most recent FL rental car came with a SunPass device that I could turn on and off with a switch.  As long as I never turned it on, they would not charge me anything.  But if I did turn it on and incurred any single toll, I'd be charged their outrageous daily surcharge.  I don't know how standard that is.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.