News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

The not-a-groundbreaking-but-close-to-it for Puget Sound Gateway was today. I'm still skeptical on the need for the SR 509 sections, especially south of Sea-Tac where it will interfere with the light rail alignment. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2019/10/01/wsdot-celebrates-major-milestone-puget-sound-gateway-program

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on October 02, 2019, 01:12:07 AM
The not-a-groundbreaking-but-close-to-it for Puget Sound Gateway was today. I'm still skeptical on the need for the SR 509 sections, especially south of Sea-Tac where it will interfere with the light rail alignment. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2019/10/01/wsdot-celebrates-major-milestone-puget-sound-gateway-program

I don't think they interfere. They are being designed to pass around each other. It could interfere with the neighborhood that would benefit from the light rail line, but I think the affected properties are primarily automotive-centric anyways.

I also believe the 509 extension has been in planning stages for far longer than the light rail line, so one could easily say that the light rail's southerly extension is interfering with the 509. But that's obviously ridiculous anyway, since we're talking about bridging over or tunneling beneath a freeway, which is hardly a difficult task.

The Tacoma Dome extension also cuts through the 509 Spur extension; I'm interested to see how that's being considered.

TEG24601

I remember reading about 509 when I was a freshman in college.  It is certainly needed, but as long as there is the freeway/expressway gap along 1st Avenue, it will only be a real benefit to South Seattle and maybe West Seattle.

I'm glad that both programs are finally getting off the ground, as both are needed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

HOV lane extension coming for I-5...on the north end! Everett to Marysville, instead of the peak shoulder project, to be complete in 2022.

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/improvements-coming-to-northbound-i-5.html

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on October 03, 2019, 12:00:18 PM
I remember reading about 509 when I was a freshman in college.  It is certainly needed, but as long as there is the freeway/expressway gap along 1st Avenue, it will only be a real benefit to South Seattle and maybe West Seattle.

You mean East Marginal? That stretch may not be freeway, but the timing along it is excellent IMO.

Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2019, 12:30:42 AM
HOV lane extension coming for I-5...on the north end! Everett to Marysville, instead of the peak shoulder project, to be complete in 2022.

Was this out of left field, or did I just miss a bunch of studies?

Bruce

This morning's semi truck fire in the I-5 express lanes seem to have melted the small guide signs in the double-decker section. Sad loss.

https://twitter.com/wspd2pio/status/1180109685573079040

The driver has been cited for negligent driving for speeding and being erratic, according to The Seattle Times.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2019, 02:21:29 AM

This was born out of the earlier plan to build a peak shoulder lane on NB I-5, which was part of the Connecting Washington package alongside new ramps at the SR 529 interchange in Marysville. It was decided to just go all-in on a regular HOV lane because it would be less confusing.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Bruce on October 02, 2019, 01:12:07 AM

A few months ago I noticed the metering signal on the southbound 200th St on ramp were moved to a wooden post, which looked like King County 509 construction would be eminent.

compdude787

Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2019, 03:02:00 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2019, 02:21:29 AM

This was born out of the earlier plan to build a peak shoulder lane on NB I-5, which was part of the Connecting Washington package alongside new ramps at the SR 529 interchange in Marysville. It was decided to just go all-in on a regular HOV lane because it would be less confusing.

I'm so glad they decided to build a whole new lane instead of that peak shoulder lane. The lane would have had to be open more often than not in order to handle all the traffic.

Bruce

Here's what SR 513 looks like on Husky gamedays. Off to stage left is a long line for entering the light rail station.

jakeroot

^^^^^
I haven't been up that way for a while. What did they do to the road markings? Looks like they shortened the left turn, and replaced it with something on the eastern edge. Just can't see around the buses.

Looks like WSDOT has finished the I-90 Medical Lake roundabouts. Apparently it took ten days. Judging from the end of the video below (showing off the northern two roundabouts), it includes one or more roundabout diagrammatics, something not installed by the state in seemingly forever. Many of the first roundabouts had them, but they fell out of favour at some point, being largely replaced by guide signs with those hook arrows next to the destination (indicating which turn to use).

https://youtu.be/h1d9oDpWZMk

sparker

Quote from: Bruce on October 20, 2019, 11:07:05 PM
Here's what SR 513 looks like on Husky gamedays. Off to stage left is a long line for entering the light rail station.

Almost looks like a RR passenger station at peak commute time!   Been a long time since I've been on that section of 513; the new transit accommodations make it unrecognizable from the '90's, when I was up there at least once every couple of months for several years.   I notice double overhead catenary; by chance would those be for electric buses -- that system is (necessarily with rubber tires) longstanding in S.F.     

jakeroot

Quote from: sparker on October 21, 2019, 04:01:14 PM
I notice double overhead catenary; by chance would those be for electric buses -- that system is (necessarily with rubber tires) longstanding in S.F.   

There are a substantial number of trolley bus lines in Seattle. what I don't recall is whether these have been in place immediately following the discontinuation of standard trolleys in the 1940s, or came later (following the introduction of diesel buses).

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on October 21, 2019, 01:19:03 AM
^^^^^
I haven't been up that way for a while. What did they do to the road markings? Looks like they shortened the left turn, and replaced it with something on the eastern edge. Just can't see around the buses.

There is a new northbound bus-only lane, which will be paired with a new bus stop to support inbound routes from the Eastside as part of an upcoming service restructure.

And yes, the trolleybuses in Seattle did come online immediately after the streetcars were canned from 1937 to 1941. They underwent a small contraction in 1963, a rehabilitation in 1978, and were saved with new coaches that debuted in 2016. Only two routes serve UW Station: Route 44, which continues all the way to Ballard; and Route 43, which has been downgraded since Link replaced its main purpose of connecting the U District to Downtown.

Bruce

SB SR 99 on the Aurora Bridge is being reduced to two lanes because an inspection found advanced steel deterioration. Fun times ahead for morning commuters.

stevashe

Northbound is now reduced to two lanes as well as they've had to take an additional lane for the contractor crews after work began on the repairs, so fun now extends to the evening commute as well!

Bruce

jakeroot

Plutonic Panda

Looks like some projects will be delayed unless new funding is found:

QuoteOLYMPIA — State lawmakers will look to trim $478 million out of the transportation budget in the coming session as they grapple with the effects of Initiative 976, which is scheduled to become law on Dec. 5 after receiving voter approval this month.

"Our job is to balance the budget, and that's just what we're going to do,"  Senate Transportation Committee Chairman Steve Hobbs, D-Lake Stevens, said after the panel got a review of the different programs facing cuts.

- https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/nov/20/state-to-prepare-for-478-million-in-transportation/

Bruce

Bickendan

I'm surprised the article didn't mention the Amtrak train.

Kacie Jane

All the ones listed are actually in Seattle, except for one in Lynnwood, which is about 18 miles from downtown. The Amtrak derailment was close to 50 miles away, so I guess it was too far to count.

(Plus, including a disaster where three people died would change the tone of the article considerably.)

Bruce

Some interesting proposals to "fix" SR 240 congestion in Richland:

SR 240 Open house boards by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on November 25, 2019, 01:29:31 AM

Interesting that the budget allows for "solutions" ranging from $2 million to $260 million.

Or are they considering doing all of this simultaneously? I'm really confused, tbh.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2019, 01:42:54 AM
Quote from: Bruce on November 25, 2019, 01:29:31 AM

Interesting that the budget allows for "solutions" ranging from $2 million to $260 million.

Or are they considering doing all of this simultaneously? I'm really confused, tbh.
It's a bunch of possibilities, each with a cost and a benefit. They have a suite to select from and they'll assemble the final package of projects from it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.