News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

TN 385 from I-240 to I-269 at least wouldn't be up to current Interstate standards I think; there are some curves that are too sharp (the 90 degree turn north of Winchester in particular) and the shoulders are too narrow.  Plus I think the AADT added with I-22 traffic would require widening the 4-lane part.  My guess, as Froggie suggests, would be truncating at I-269 or getting a waiver to "temporarily" truncate at the state line and putting the ball in TDOT's court.

As for Lamar, my understanding is they do plan to add interchanges at Shelby Drive and Holmes Road but leave some at-grades in place.  It'd be nice if they extended full control of access to Winchester at least (and NW of there to I-240 it's all depressed property that could be relocated if TDOT had the cash) but there's a lot of warehouse traffic that uses the at-grade accesses.  Probably the best you might see is RIRO.

As for TDOT's "lack of enthusiasm" for I-69, it's more the northern part of 8 that isn't really justified based on traffic now (and being stuck with a half-finished SIU 7 that they need to finish to justify the hardly-used stuff that's already built, which they started because it was all that had gotten environmental clearance when they had the money).  SIU 9 has fairly immediate need, and suburban growth is finally getting up towards Covington (hence the TN 14 widening parallel to US 51 to the east), justifying SIU 8 up to the Hatchie River or so - once you get north of there, the towns are effectively bypassed except Dyersburg proper.  And TDOT is probably going to be done with I-269 (except the stub to I-69 at Millington, which is pointless to build except as part of the I-69 contract) before MDOT meets up.

codyg1985

TDOT in its three-year plan proposes to buy right of way for improvements on Lamar Avenue (US 78) between the MS State Line and Shelby Drive in FY14.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Avalanchez71

Quote from: lordsutch on June 28, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
TN 385 from I-240 to I-269 at least wouldn't be up to current Interstate standards I think; there are some curves that are too sharp (the 90 degree turn north of Winchester in particular) and the shoulders are too narrow.  Plus I think the AADT added with I-22 traffic would require widening the 4-lane part.  My guess, as Froggie suggests, would be truncating at I-269 or getting a waiver to "temporarily" truncate at the state line and putting the ball in TDOT's court.

As for Lamar, my understanding is they do plan to add interchanges at Shelby Drive and Holmes Road but leave some at-grades in place.  It'd be nice if they extended full control of access to Winchester at least (and NW of there to I-240 it's all depressed property that could be relocated if TDOT had the cash) but there's a lot of warehouse traffic that uses the at-grade accesses.  Probably the best you might see is RIRO.

As for TDOT's "lack of enthusiasm" for I-69, it's more the northern part of 8 that isn't really justified based on traffic now (and being stuck with a half-finished SIU 7 that they need to finish to justify the hardly-used stuff that's already built, which they started because it was all that had gotten environmental clearance when they had the money).  SIU 9 has fairly immediate need, and suburban growth is finally getting up towards Covington (hence the TN 14 widening parallel to US 51 to the east), justifying SIU 8 up to the Hatchie River or so - once you get north of there, the towns are effectively bypassed except Dyersburg proper.  And TDOT is probably going to be done with I-269 (except the stub to I-69 at Millington, which is pointless to build except as part of the I-69 contract) before MDOT meets up.
The lack of enthusiasm also relates to conservative and smart fiscal policy.  Why build something that we didn't ask for?

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 28, 2013, 01:24:46 PM
The lack of enthusiasm also relates to conservative and smart fiscal policy.  Why build something that we didn't ask for?

SIU 7 and SIU 9 are logical extensions of existing freeways to provide regional connectivity, as is the southern part of SIU 8.  And 20 years down the road the rest of SIU 8 will likely have the traffic need to justify it too.  And plenty of folks in west Tennessee want I-69, even if the Nashville crowd doesn't (just as plenty of middle Tennessee people wanted SR 840 even though it's useless for much except cutting the corner of I-24 east to I-40 west).

Avalanchez71

True.  Remember that the political clout of this state moved away from the West.  I only really wanted a partial 840.  The road really bests serves Franklin-Murfreesboro movements. 

rte66man

Quote from: lordsutch on June 28, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
.....justifying SIU 8 up to the Hatchie River or so - once you get north of there, the towns are effectively bypassed except Dyersburg proper.... 

Ripley seems to have moved lock stock and barrel out to US51. Four traffic signals IIRC.  Pain in the ass. 

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

AUTiger7222

It's been a while since I've seen this in person. I've only seen the pictures that have been posted on here. Next Sunday I'll be traveling down south. I can't wait to see with my own eyes how much progress has been made since the last time I've traveled south through there which was back around January or February. Judging from the pictures quite a lot has happened in the months that have passed.

Grzrd

This July 8 article indicates that Coalburg Road, the primary link between the completed portion of Interstate 22 and Interstate 65 via Daniel Payne Drive, is currently undergoing a widening project and various detours may be in place until 2015.

codyg1985

Here is a photo gallery showing pictures of the I-22/65 interchange construction. Work is going well for the EB I-22 to NB I-65 flyover, and beams are being installed for the NB I-65 to WB I-22 flyover.
Cody Goodman

NE2

I've been looking through old AASHTO change logs, and in 1999 a relocation of US 78 was approved over future I-22, rejoining the current alignment using US 31. I had assumed it would use I-65.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

On Coalburg Rd, there is now a temporary diversion in place between Daniel Payne Drive and Republic Drive.  It looks like the clearing work is pretty much underway; like the AL 129 widening a decade ago, I'm sure it'll be done just after the need for it evaporates with the next I-22 segment opening.

I-22 reassurance markers seem to be in place pretty much throughout the Alabama portion, and in Walker County they seem to have displaced US 78 signs completely, except on the few overheads (none of which have been updated).  No I-22 signs westbound yet in Mississippi.

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on August 01, 2013, 10:01:50 PM
I-22 reassurance markers seem to be in place pretty much throughout the Alabama portion, and in Walker County they seem to have displaced US 78 signs completely, except on the few overheads (none of which have been updated).  No I-22 signs westbound yet in Mississippi.

I haven't yet seen any I-22 signs off the main roadway at interchanges or anywhere else. Those still show US 78 and sometimes AL 4.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

Is there any word on what the control city for I-22 West will be at I-65?  Both Tupelo and Memphis make sense, but I wonder which will it be?

barcncpt44

Jasper is used as the control city at interchanges.  So it might be Jasper and Memphis.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

codyg1985

Quote from: Charles2 on August 11, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
Is there any word on what the control city for I-22 West will be at I-65?  Both Tupelo and Memphis make sense, but I wonder which will it be?

The plans for the I-22/I-65 interchange have the control city as Memphis.
Cody Goodman

Henry

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 12, 2013, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: Charles2 on August 11, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
The plans for the I-22/I-65 interchange have the control city as Memphis.

I do expect the control city to be Memphis, but where I-22's actual western end will be is an ongoing guessing game.

Fixed quote. - rmf67
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Tourian

Should be Memphis. Jasper is more of a "next three exits" sort of town.

codyg1985

Whatever they pick I wished they would just be consistent throughout instead of switching between Memphis, Jasper, Hamilton, and Tupelo.
Cody Goodman

Avalanchez71

I would imagine that it would be Memphis to begin with.  Later down the road they may change it to Jasper and Tupelo.  The intial naming gives the road legitimacy and familiarity.  The politicians love to sell this stuff.  We built a road that connects us to the intermodal captial that Memphis is sans Fed Ex.

DBR96A

So, is the big I-22/I-65 interchange 'nado-proof? :-|

UptownRoadGeek

Watch it be labeled as Memphis from Alabama, but as soon as it crosses into Mississippi you can expect MDOT to post up the name of every 2 traffic light town in between.

codyg1985

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 21, 2013, 11:46:02 PM
Watch it be labeled as Memphis from Alabama, but as soon as it crosses into Mississippi you can expect MDOT to post up the name of every 2 traffic light town in between.

MDOT uses Tupelo, Birmingham, and Memphis as control cities now. ALDOT also uses Tupelo in some spots (around Jasper and west of Hamilton).
Cody Goodman

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: lordsutch on August 01, 2013, 10:01:50 PMI-22 reassurance markers seem to be in place pretty much throughout the Alabama portion, and in Walker County they seem to have displaced US 78 signs completely

And for visible proof of this, taken yesterday while enroute to Augusta, GA (8/24/13):
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

bdmoss88

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on August 25, 2013, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: lordsutch on August 01, 2013, 10:01:50 PMI-22 reassurance markers seem to be in place pretty much throughout the Alabama portion, and in Walker County they seem to have displaced US 78 signs completely

And for visible proof of this, taken yesterday while enroute to Augusta, GA (8/24/13):

And they left the AL-4 signs. Hmm.

Tomahawkin

While driving towards Memphis on U.S. 78, I saw 4 sets of 3 column bridge piers in a construction zone about 8-9 miles SE of the 302 Olive Branch/Southhaven exit. Is that where they are planning the intersection on I-22 and I-269? Keep in Mind as well that 5-0 likes to hide in that area because its a desolate location

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.