More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

I couldn't keep a straight face when I saw these tidbits from a recent article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2016/10/03/sears-eddie-lampert-says-kmart-isnt-closing/amp/

QuoteSears Chairman and CEO Eddie Lampert is trying to set the record straight regarding reports of increased store closings and possible end of the Kmart brand.

"I can tell you that there are no plans and there have never been any plans to close the Kmart format. In fact, we've been working hard to make Kmart a more fun, engaging place to shop, powered by our integrated retail innovations and Shop Your Way,"  Lampert said in an emailed statement. "To report or suggest otherwise is irresponsible and is likely intended to do harm to our company to the benefit of those who seek to gain advantage from posting these inaccurate reports."

This isn't the first time Lampert called out the media as irresponsible. In this case he is likely referring to recent reports that cite unnamed sources and store employees many of whom are worried for their jobs.

They have good reason to worry. Sears has indeed been closing stores — under both the Sears and Kmart brands.

QuoteStill, the store base continues to contract as management monetizes its real estate. But Lampert maintains the goal is to regain standing as a profitable retailer.

"First, Kmart continues to operate over 700 stores. Second, a significant number of these stores are profitable and have been profitable for many years. Third, we have been clear that we are intent on improving the performance of our unprofitable stores and, if we cannot, we will close them. Actions to improve our store productivity, including reducing inventory stored in the stockrooms, are designed to make our stores easier to operate and to eliminate unproductive inventory and processes. Decisions to close stores are never easy, but we recognize that the way people are shopping is changing significantly. This is why we have made major investments in our online and mobile platforms and this is why our focus on serving members through Shop Your Way is so important."
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on November 03, 2016, 07:20:50 PM
I couldn't keep a straight face when I saw these tidbits from a recent article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lauraheller/2016/10/03/sears-eddie-lampert-says-kmart-isnt-closing/amp/

QuoteSears Chairman and CEO Eddie Lampert is trying to set the record straight regarding reports of increased store closings and possible end of the Kmart brand.

"I can tell you that there are no plans and there have never been any plans to close the Kmart format. In fact, we've been working hard to make Kmart a more fun, engaging place to shop, powered by our integrated retail innovations and Shop Your Way,"  Lampert said in an emailed statement. "To report or suggest otherwise is irresponsible and is likely intended to do harm to our company to the benefit of those who seek to gain advantage from posting these inaccurate reports."

This isn't the first time Lampert called out the media as irresponsible. In this case he is likely referring to recent reports that cite unnamed sources and store employees many of whom are worried for their jobs.

They have good reason to worry. Sears has indeed been closing stores — under both the Sears and Kmart brands.

QuoteStill, the store base continues to contract as management monetizes its real estate. But Lampert maintains the goal is to regain standing as a profitable retailer.

"First, Kmart continues to operate over 700 stores. Second, a significant number of these stores are profitable and have been profitable for many years. Third, we have been clear that we are intent on improving the performance of our unprofitable stores and, if we cannot, we will close them. Actions to improve our store productivity, including reducing inventory stored in the stockrooms, are designed to make our stores easier to operate and to eliminate unproductive inventory and processes. Decisions to close stores are never easy, but we recognize that the way people are shopping is changing significantly. This is why we have made major investments in our online and mobile platforms and this is why our focus on serving members through Shop Your Way is so important."

Some might say that being in complete denial about your company tanking for several years and doing nothing to avoid it is irresponsible.  But then again one a hedge fund manager always a hedge fund manager, I'm sure parting the corpse of Sears and Kmart will yield ole Eddie plenty of money given how much of a stake holder is.  :meh:

thenetwork

There is an mall anchor Sears store (one of 5 anchors) at Mesa Mall in Grand Junction, CO that closes before the rest of the mall does!  Last time I went by there just after 8PM on a Friday Night, the lights were already out!!!

It would be nice to see that Sears close, and Western CO gets it's first Macy's or Burlington Coat Factory.

US71

Quote from: thenetwork on November 03, 2016, 10:38:10 PM
There is an mall anchor Sears store (one of 5 anchors) at Mesa Mall in Grand Junction, CO that closes before the rest of the mall does!  Last time I went by there just after 8PM on a Friday Night, the lights were already out!!!

It would be nice to see that Sears close, and Western CO gets it's first Macy's or Burlington Coat Factory.

Based on my experiences, BCF jacks prices way up before "discounting" them.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

noelbotevera

Kmart has been here forever here in my area. Still got the same Big K sign. I'm hoping that something happens to turn it around, because we all know what happened to Ames (they closed too early - they still had a chance).

Roadrunner75

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 11, 2016, 10:43:31 PM
Kmart has been here forever here in my area. Still got the same Big K sign. I'm hoping that something happens to turn it around, because we all know what happened to Ames (they closed too early - they still had a chance).
Ames was nothing really special (nor really is KMart) and it kind of blends in my memory with Clover, Bradlees, Caldor, Jefferson Ward, Jamesway and countless others (see defunct retailers thread).  I'm always surprised KMart is still around since they do absolutely nothing to distinguish themselves anymore.  Every once in awhile I'll stop in for something - maybe more for nostalgia purposes.  Who else used to have a dark, empty KMart cafeteria in the back of their local store?

LM117

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 12, 2016, 11:20:56 PMWho else used to have a dark, empty KMart cafeteria in the back of their local store?

The Kmart in Goldsboro, NC used to have a cafeteria when we first moved to the area in the summer of 1995 when I was 6. Instead of being in the back of the store, it was on the right side of the store at the front. The cafeteria closed in either 2001 or 2002 and has since been converted to storage space for baby supplies. It was a nice place. I hated it when it closed.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jeffandnicole

Quote from: LM117 on December 13, 2016, 10:11:20 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 12, 2016, 11:20:56 PMWho else used to have a dark, empty KMart cafeteria in the back of their local store?

The Kmart in Goldsboro, NC used to have a cafeteria when we first moved to the area in the summer of 1995 when I was 6. Instead of being in the back of the store, it was on the right side of the store at the front. The cafeteria closed in either 2001 or 2002 and has since been converted to storage space for baby supplies. It was a nice place. I hated it when it closed.

Many years ago, the one closest to me had the snack bar up front (the featured item was ICEEs) and a restaurant/cafe in the back.  Then they closed the snack bar and the restaurant and combined the two into a new restaurant in the front left.  Then I think it became a Little Caesars or something.  Today any evidence of them are gone and it's just part of the normal sales floor.

Another one near me in Glassboro, NJ had a unique setup, where a restaurant/cafe was attached to the Kmart, but was pretty much its own place with separate doors, but you accessed it near the checkout area.  I don't remember if it even had much of a name to the eatery.  As shown in this GSV from 2011 in the parking lot it was a Hollywood Tanning Salon.  https://goo.gl/maps/QSFRkSm9jPu .  Today, both the Kmart and Hollywood Tans are closed down.

busman_49

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2016, 10:33:37 AM

Another one near me in Glassboro, NJ had a unique setup, where a restaurant/cafe was attached to the Kmart, but was pretty much its own place with separate doors, but you accessed it near the checkout area.  I don't remember if it even had much of a name to the eatery.  As shown in this GSV from 2011 in the parking lot it was a Hollywood Tanning Salon.  https://goo.gl/maps/QSFRkSm9jPu .  Today, both the Kmart and Hollywood Tans are closed down.

Shame that's gone.  That looks like it would have been a neat one to go into.

GCrites

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 12, 2016, 11:20:56 PM
Ames was nothing really special (nor really is KMart) and it kind of blends in my memory with Clover, Bradlees, Caldor, Jefferson Ward, Jamesway and countless others (see defunct retailers thread).  I'm always surprised KMart is still around since they do absolutely nothing to distinguish themselves anymore.  Every once in awhile I'll stop in for something - maybe more for nostalgia purposes.  Who else used to have a dark, empty KMart cafeteria in the back of their local store?

For some reason I don't remember any KMarts in my area having cafeterias. Little Ceasar's yes, but never full cafeterias. Obviously there are users near in age to me and even quite a bit younger than me that remember the cafeterias. Maybe the Little Ceasar's were snack bars before. I think it was about mid-'90s when the LCs opened in my local KMart locations. We went to KMart a lot too, especially in the '80s before Meijer and Wal-Mart hit. Columbus proper had one Wal-Mart before 2000.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: busman_49 on December 13, 2016, 02:52:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 13, 2016, 10:33:37 AM

Shame that's gone.  That looks like it would have been a neat one to go into.

Actually, it was different, but it wasn't my favorite.  They didn't seem to update the store very often, and was always a generation or two behind other stores.  I can still picture where everything was in that store though. 

However, within that shopping center next to the KMart was a movie theatre within the shopping center, where this Dollar Tree & Staples is now: https://goo.gl/maps/ZZfp4e5SXYM2 .  Probably had 2 or 3 screens.  I was never in there. But I would love to be able to go off the sales floor area to see what remains of those theatres, if anything.  That would be some interesting history (for me at least).

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 13, 2016, 08:15:22 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on December 12, 2016, 11:20:56 PM
For some reason I don't remember any KMarts in my area having cafeterias. Little Ceasar's yes, but never full cafeterias. Obviously there are users near in age to me and even quite a bit younger than me that remember the cafeterias. Maybe the Little Ceasar's were snack bars before. I think it was about mid-'90s when the LCs opened in my local KMart locations. We went to KMart a lot too, especially in the '80s before Meijer and Wal-Mart hit. Columbus proper had one Wal-Mart before 2000.

I remember the one in my town (now a Price Chopper) having a sit down cafeteria in the back of the store when I was really young (maybe 6 or younger).  It later became an expanded clothing and electronics section.  Little Caesar's snack bar came along in the early '90's with the Big K concept that remained till the whole store closed around 2002.  Couple more in the area had cafeterias until the early '80's.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

slorydn1

I can remember being in the Kmart that used to be on 28th street just east of US-131 in Grand Rapids as a young child in the 1970's and the smell of the cafeteria in the back corner of the store. I'm guessing it was the fry cooker that we could smell looking back on it. I really haven't encountered that same exact smell since, but when I do encounter one that is similar I instantly think about Kmart. Funny thing, other than the occasional Icee we never purchased food there, or at any of the other Kmarts we had been in over the years.

I don't believe that my children have ever been in a Kmart that had an open cafeteria. The one that used to be here in the mall in New Bern didn't have one (I moved here in 1991).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Rothman

I think I remember the one in the Hampshire Mall in Hadley, MA having a mostly deserted cafeteria in it.  Of course, it closed down a very long time ago.  Target occupies its space and more now (they added onto the mall).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

briantroutman

Perhaps this comes down to the differing definitions of "cafeteria" , but the tired old Kmart in my hometown (Williamsport, PA) had not a cafeteria but a full-fledged restaurant with table service up until about five years ago. The menu and accommodations were roughly on par with a place like Denny's, with booths along the outside walls and counter seating near the kitchen. The restaurant was in the front left corner of the store and not entirely open to the selling floor–it had its own lower ceiling and was separated from the selling floor by a half wall. It also had its own outside door in the front, and if I recall correctly, it opened about an hour or two before the store itself did.

I had never been in many other Kmarts, but our full-service restaurant always struck me an odd operation since I had never seen one at another Kmart store. Nonetheless, it did appear to be an official Kmart-sanctioned operation with Kmart-branded menus, placemats, and signage. One item I recall from the breakfast menu was an egg and cheese sandwich they called a K-Muffin. Eventually, when the interior of the store got a half-hearted remodeling effort in the late '90s as the store was updated from its '70s era "K-mart"  to "Big Kmart" , the restaurant got interior signage labeling it as "K Cafe" –which appeared to be the work of the corporate design department... not just local meddling.

In recent years, as the few remaining loyal old customers (they practically lived at their respective diner stools) died off one by one, the restaurant operation was finally closed. It sat vacant for a while, and it eventually was gutted and replaced with a Nathan's Famous counter.

GCrites

Brandon

Quote from: briantroutman on December 14, 2016, 05:19:02 PM
Perhaps this comes down to the differing definitions of "cafeteria" , but the tired old Kmart in my hometown (Williamsport, PA) had not a cafeteria but a full-fledged restaurant with table service up until about five years ago. The menu and accommodations were roughly on par with a place like Denny's, with booths along the outside walls and counter seating near the kitchen. The restaurant was in the front left corner of the store and not entirely open to the selling floor–it had its own lower ceiling and was separated from the selling floor by a half wall. It also had its own outside door in the front, and if I recall correctly, it opened about an hour or two before the store itself did.

I had never been in many other Kmarts, but our full-service restaurant always struck me an odd operation since I had never seen one at another Kmart store. Nonetheless, it did appear to be an official Kmart-sanctioned operation with Kmart-branded menus, placemats, and signage. One item I recall from the breakfast menu was an egg and cheese sandwich they called a K-Muffin. Eventually, when the interior of the store got a half-hearted remodeling effort in the late '90s as the store was updated from its '70s era "K-mart"  to "Big Kmart" , the restaurant got interior signage labeling it as "K Cafe" –which appeared to be the work of the corporate design department... not just local meddling.

In recent years, as the few remaining loyal old customers (they practically lived at their respective diner stools) died off one by one, the restaurant operation was finally closed. It sat vacant for a while, and it eventually was gutted and replaced with a Nathan's Famous counter.

A lot of department and discount stores used to have restaurants inside of them.

Kmart had a Grille, typically in the rear center of the store as you describe above, in many of their older stores dating from the 1960s and 1970s.

Venture usually had a small cafe type area up in the front, off the main entry.  Nowhere near as extravagant as Kmart's.

JCPenney used to have a Coffee Shop in the store, typically down by the credit and catalog area.  These were also Denny's type operations.  They were ripped out in the mid-1980s.

Almost all Marshall Field stores had a restaurant in them, usually up on the uppermost floor with windows.  These were operated with china, flatware, and tablecloths.  Most of them disappeared by 1990.

Bergner's used to have a restaurant in them, also on the uppermost floor, along the same lines as Field's.

Montgomery Ward had a Buffeteria, another Denny's type operation.  Again, by the mid-1980s, they were gone.

Sears never seemed to have a restaurant of any type that I know of.  They had a Snackertia, but that was for full-service bulk candies and nuts.

I'm certain there were others out there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

John Wanamakers had a restaurant.  In our local mall it's now a Boscovs (family owned department store chain found mostly in malls in the Philly/Mid-Atlantic area).  Whenever I'm in that mall I think the shell of the restaurant is still there, but it's just for storage and employee access only, with a single, non-descript door leading to what used to be a fairly elegant restaurant.

Bradlees had a restaurant/snack bar/café area near the front of their stores.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 15, 2016, 12:21:24 PM
John Wanamakers had a restaurant.  In our local mall it's now a Boscovs (family owned department store chain found mostly in malls in the Philly/Mid-Atlantic area).  Whenever I'm in that mall I think the shell of the restaurant is still there, but it's just for storage and employee access only, with a single, non-descript door leading to what used to be a fairly elegant restaurant.

Bradlees had a restaurant/snack bar/café area near the front of their stores.
Got a Boscov's in Albany, NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Boscovs is like Wawa.  If you know it, you're familiar with it. Otherwise, it's a headscratcher!

Based on their ads, they also cater to the over 85 age group that would never use the internet.

noelbotevera

The closest Borders stores had a cafe attached to it. There wasn't any separation (aka no doors or wall), so you could just walk in, read some books, and buy food while you read. It was nifty for whenever you wanted to eat and read without having to leave the store.

dvferyance

I would be perfectly fine if K Mart went away. I sad to see Circuit City and Sports Authority go.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on December 15, 2016, 12:02:51 PM

Sears never seemed to have a restaurant of any type that I know of.  They had a Snackertia, but that was for full-service bulk candies and nuts.

The Sears in the the Chicago area at least had a denny's style type cafeteria.

Walgreens used to also have lunch counters.  In some of the newer flagship Walgreen's stores they have....

A freaking sushi chef.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

vdeane

The Rochester Borders had a cafe too, as did the one in Victor.  It was probably typical or the store.  Barnes and Noble has them too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

I think the odd full-service restaurant/diner that the Williamsport Kmart had until fairly recently may have owed its existence to the fact that the store was built as a Grants in the mid to late '60s and then converted to Kmart in the early '70s. Apparently, many Grants stores of the era had a similar family restaurant under the Bradford House banner.

The Kmart in Belle Vernon, PA–also a converted Grants from that era–has its restaurant still in operation (at least it was as of earlier this year). I found this set of photos on Flickr, and the "K Cafe"  signage inside, the red and white RESTAURANT sign outside, and the booths and paneling in the restaurant look exactly like what Williamsport had. Williamsport's restaurant never had glass separating it from the store selling floor, though, and the amateur-looking menu suggests that any semblance of support from the home office has evaporated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.