News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 05, 2016, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 04, 2016, 09:56:22 PM
Speaking of Dollar General, they have undertaken a massive retail expansion effort in my area. A number of new DG stores have opened up in this part of Kentucky, and I noticed several locations that appeared to be fairly new in some communities in rural areas of West Virginia.

As for a route from Cumberland to Corridor H, It seems to me that much of US 220 in Maryland could be widened without major issues. However, getting from Keyser to Moorefield is a bit trickier. WV 93 wouldn't be too hard to widen between US 50 and Corridor H, but the US 50/220 concurrency is both fairly crooked and hilly, and built up. I haven't been on 220/28 between 50 and 48 in several years to remember much about that route.

You could widen the WV 972 corridor plus WV 93 to reach Corr H and avoid the 50-220 overlay entirely.

A new terrrain route from the eastern 50-220 jct northwest back to US 220 south of MD 956 also looks non-imposing...

Much of that is indeed reasonable.  The sections to be avoided are U.S. 50 between the junctions of W.Va. 42 (north) and W.Va. 93 (south); and U.S. 50 between 972 and U.S. 220 North. 

U.S. 220 in Maryland does run through the "downtown" areas of several small communities south of I-68, but perhaps it could be re-routed there to a new alignment?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

FYI, WVDOH and MD SHA studied the US 220 corridor a few years ago in a Tier 1 EIS.  The corridor recommended for further study generally runs along/close to WV 93, WV 972, and US 220, likely bypassing Keyser to the west.  There are three options for tying into I-68.  One is a full interchange west of MD 53/Exit 39, the second would be a partial interchange between Exit 41 and Exit 42 (weaving was an identified concern of this one, as was the lack of full access), and the third would be a mix of the first two.  My money is on the full interchange near MD 53.

Three other corridors were studied and rejected.  One was located a few miles west of the preferred corridor, roughly halfway between MD 36 and US 220, tying into Corridor H at WV 42 at the top of the ridge from Scherr, and tying into I-68 at Frostburg (dropped due to impacts to Dans Mountain).  Another corridor generally followed CR 3/CR 9/WV 28 before crossing the river south of the airport, running east of Cumberland, and tying into I-68 in the US 220 North/Exit 46/Exit 47 vicinity.  The third corridor followed CR 5/CR 11/WV 46 to Fort Ashby, then followed CR 28/3 before turning north and crossing the river near North Branch, MD and also meeting I-68 near Exit 46/Exit 47.

Though not approved as a corridor in this study, the study mentions a "separate future project/system upgrade" along US 220 from near Keyser to Moorefield.  The map suggests that some new alignment would be built that would drastically reduce the 50/220 concurrency, with the new alignment running south of the concurrency from near Markwood, cutting southeast and rejoining US 220 near Rada.  If you're looking at a detailed map, the new alignment would generally track along CR 50/4, CR 13, and CR 220/7.

mattpedersen

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 03, 2016, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on June 03, 2016, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on June 03, 2016, 03:42:28 PM
It seems like Corridor H would have been more useful if its western end tied into Corridor D / US-50 at Clarksburg. Does anyone know why it went to Weston?

There's nothing of much consequence east of Clarksburg and I-68 is nearby east of I-79. Routing along US 33 provides access to larger towns (Buckhannon and Elkins) and better access to the Potomac Highlands region of West Virginia.
Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 03, 2016, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on June 03, 2016, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on June 03, 2016, 03:42:28 PM
It seems like Corridor H would have been more useful if its western end tied into Corridor D / US-50 at Clarksburg. Does anyone know why it went to Weston?

There's nothing of much consequence east of Clarksburg and I-68 is nearby east of I-79. Routing along US 33 provides access to larger towns (Buckhannon and Elkins) and better access to the Potomac Highlands region of West Virginia.

Agreed that U.S. 33 was probably the best routing east of I-79.  U.S. 50 between I-79 and the Maryland border crosses a lot of rough terrain.  Using the routing that Corridor H was built on,  that rough terrain was mostly avoided between Weston and Kerens. 

Corridor H will also provide improved and faster access to the West Virginia and U.S. Forest Service resort and recreation areas in Tucker County (like this and this) from both I-79 and I-81 (and I-66) corridors.  This is the kind of "induced" traffic that is good for everyone.

On a random side note, I tried driving US 50 from "Oakland" (its in the Oakland zip code so that qualifies) to I-79. I tapped out at US 119. I was driving a 2000 Toyota Camry with a V6 and an automatic which after coming from a 1996 626 V6 with a manual, I am sure you can fill in the blanks of why I tapped out.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mattpedersen on June 10, 2016, 04:42:28 PM
On a random side note, I tried driving US 50 from "Oakland" (its in the Oakland zip code so that qualifies) to I-79. I tapped out at US 119. I was driving a 2000 Toyota Camry with a V6 and an automatic which after coming from a 1996 626 V6 with a manual, I am sure you can fill in the blanks of why I tapped out.

I think the locals call that part of southern Garrett County where U.S. 50 runs either Redhouse, Gnegy Church or (near the Potomac River) Gorman.  The Postal Service does indeed consider all of southern Garrett County to be Zip Code 21550, which is Oakland's zip code, even though most of it is well outside of the corporate limits of Oakland (or alternatively, the official Oakland zoning map (.pdf) is probably more accurate than Google).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

You almost had US 50 whipped at that point, but honestly, trying to drive that mountainous road with a manual would be brutal. I drove it eastbound several years ago and truthfully, that should have been plenty for me, but for some strange reason known only to God, I had the urge to drive it (and US 33 between I-79 and I-77, which I had also done eastbound a few years ago) on the way back from the meet. Hopefully my curiosity is satisfied on both roads for the rest of my life.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 12, 2016, 03:40:10 AM
You almost had US 50 whipped at that point, but honestly, trying to drive that mountainous road with a manual would be brutal.

With my Diesel pickup and a stick shift, those West Virginia (and Maryland) grades are not that terrible. 

I have not driven U.S. 50 very far into West Virginia west of Redhouse - but I have driven everything east from the intersection of U.S. 50 and W.Va. 24 to Ocean City, Maryland.

Bitmapped

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 10, 2016, 05:17:35 PM
Quote from: mattpedersen on June 10, 2016, 04:42:28 PM

I think the locals call that part of southern Garrett County where U.S. 50 runs either Redhouse, Gnegy Church or (near the Potomac River) Gorman.  The Postal Service does indeed consider all of southern Garrett County to be Zip Code 21550, which is Oakland's zip code, even though most of it is well outside of the corporate limits of Oakland (or alternatively, the official Oakland zoning map (.pdf) is probably more accurate than Google).

Nobody would consider US 50 as going through Oakland. Redhouse is the primary name for the area around the US 50/US 219 intersection. Gorman/Gormania is the area over on the eastern side of the county where US 50 heads into Grant County, West Virginia.

I've never heard Gnegy Church used as a location reference for that area.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on June 13, 2016, 11:22:43 PM
I've never heard Gnegy Church used as a location reference for that area.

I recall seeing it on signs many years ago (as in 1960's) when I was a child and we ventured north into Garrett County from where we were staying in Tucker County, W.Va. (at Blackwater Falls State Park).  Might have been signed on the northbound side of U.S. 219 in West Virginia or maybe on the southbound side in Maryland.

I was already into roads then, and was somewhat surprised to encounter U.S. 50 (well known to me from its sections in Prince George's and Anne Arundel Counties) in far away Garrett County.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 04, 2016, 10:12:43 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 04, 2016, 05:29:52 PM
Large/heavy manufacturing won't really be attracted to the area (utilities excluded) because there really isn't a network of good north-south connections from corridor H - except for the terminal points.  That's why I believe the North-South (US 220) connector from Moorefield to Cumberland would actually have greater impact on the area than H.  I'd have to research the status of it.

I have no problem with improving U.S. 220 (and, for that matter, U.S. 219) from Corridor H at least to I-68. Maryland was looking at plans to bypass downtown Oakland with U.S. 219, but that study was shut-down on orders of then-Gov. Parris Nelson Glendening about 2000 or 2001.

According to the project page, the project is not quite dead but it isn't going anywhere fast. Planning activities are theoretically happening but the 2016-2021 CTP has no funding programmed for anything significant. The two PDFs showing the scale plans for the bypass indicate a very similar design to that used for the Hampstead Bypass, and I believe that Oakland would benefit from the removal of the through traffic from the downtown area just like Hampstead did.

cpzilliacus

Charleston Gazette-Mail op-ed: Corridor H will connect West Virginia to the world

QuoteWith $5.25 billion in upgraded locks, the Panama Canal expansion just opened this past week after a massive project that widened and deepened the transcontinental shortcut from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans. For the first time, a 158-foot wide, 984-foot long Chinese owned container ship passed through the canal – headed to the East Coast of the United States.

QuoteNot all East Coast ports will be able to handle the new, deeper draught ships from Asia – but Norfolk can. And that is why West Virginia should care. Because when finished, Corridor H will connect West Virginia to the Virginia Inland Port at Front Royal – where double-stacked container rail connects directly to Norfolk and then to the global market.

74/171FAN

I wonder if Robbie Morris (the author of the article and the Corridor H Authority in WV) is going to start putting pressure on VA to actually start planning on their section to I-81.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

AlexandriaVA

More grandiose promises that the road won't deliver

Mapmikey

West Virginia is already connected to the Ports in Hampton Roads by good road and rail connections.

How will unloading stuff onto a train to Front Royal, then reloading/processing stuff to head over Corridor H be cost effective enough to be worth doing versus what happens already?

froggie

Quote from: MapmikeyWest Virginia is already connected to the Ports in Hampton Roads by good road and rail connections.

Indeed.  I-64 directly connects the Hampton Roads ports to the heart of West Virginia, and both CSX (from the Peninsula) and Norfolk Southern (from the Southside) have connections into West Virginia from the Hampton Roads area.

Quote from: 74/171FANI wonder if Robbie Morris (the author of the article and the Corridor H Authority in WV) is going to start putting pressure on VA to actually start planning on their section to I-81.

I wonder if Robbie Morris, if this project will bring all this "benefit" to West Virginia, has considered having West Virginia pay for the Virginia segment.  I almost mentioned as much in my article comment.

Fixed typo.  -Mark

seicer

NS's Heartland Corridor does more to connect to Hampton Roads and delivers far more than Corridor H ever will.

Jmiles32

Quote from: froggie on July 11, 2016, 09:11:58 PM
Quote from: MapmikeyWest Virginia is already connected to the Ports in Hampton Roads by good road and rail connections.

Indeed.  I-64 directly connects the Hampton Roads ports to the heart of West Virginia, and both CSX (from the Peninsula) and Norfolk Southern (from the Southside) have connections into West Virginia from the Hampton Roads area.

Quote from: 74/171FANI wonder if Robbie Morris (the author of the article and the Corridor H Authority in WV) is going to start putting pressure on VA to actually start planning on their section to I-81.

I wonder if Robbie Morris, if this project will bring all this "benefit" to West Virginia, has considered having West Virginia pay for the Virginia segment.  I almost mentioned as much in my article comment.

Fixed typo.  -Mark

Agreed that likely the only way Corridor H gets built in VA is if WV or the Feds pay for it. VDOT has no interest in completing Corridor H and prefably wouldn't spend a dime on it because 1. They hardly even have that and 2. Because Corridor H doesn't benefit VA at all.

Also now that I'm thinking about it, has a similar situation ever occurred where one state ended up paying for road improvements in another?
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

okc1

NY did pay for the portion of NY 17 that dipped into PA near the jct with US 220.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

AlexandriaVA

Shocking that a guy whose job depends on rural highway construction advocates for more rural highway construction...

hbelkins

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 12, 2016, 12:13:46 AMor the Feds pay for it.

Aren't the feds now paying for 100 percent of the ADHS corridors? Didn't they do away with the 20-percent state contribution?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

lordsutch

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2016, 02:03:07 PM
Aren't the feds now paying for 100 percent of the ADHS corridors? Didn't they do away with the 20-percent state contribution?

True, but it comes out of the general allotment now rather than a dedicated pool like ADHS used to be; states may instead want to put up 10-20% and use their federal money for other priorities (hence why Mississippi is in no hurry to finish Corridor V, for example).

froggie

To elaborate on lordsutch's reply, yes Congress now allows ADHS corridor projects to be 100% Federally funded...no more state match is required.  But just as he said, and taking effect at the same time (I believe it was MAP-21), there is no longer a separate ADHS funding pot.  Any Federal funding the states use for ADHS corridors now comes from their normal FHWA allotment.  So it's up to the states whether they want to prioritze finishing their ADHS corridors or use their FHWA funding on existing corridors.

And given that Congress has no interest in increasing Federal highway funding nor an interest anymore in continuing transfers to the HTF from the general Treasury, you can expect no increase in Federal funding (likely a decrease, instead).

SP Cook

The idea that Corridor H is going to form some big part of a transportation system that involves the Panama Canal is grossly over-stated.  As stated, there already is a road from Norfolk into WV and into the lower midwest (I-64) and two competing railroad lines (and the Prichard Intermodal Facility, related thereto).  The editorialist overstates his case and thus harms his point.

The actual point is that a completed H does link a remote part of Appalachia to the outside world.  That is a good thing.  It does form something of a thru route for several reasonabably popular routes, such as out of the upper south into DC/Baltimore.  That is a good thing.  It will pull a small part of the truck traffic off the grossly congested and dangerous 81.  Maybe a % or 2 or 3 with have destinations where a completed H makes sense, considering the time.  That is a good thing.  And it opens up some ski and other tourist areas to the lower east coast market. Thas is a good thing. 

It was not necessary to overstate the case to make the point for H. 

As to the whole "Virginia will never build it", well, the 13 miles in Virginia are not that bad, and, if ever actually completed in WV, the locals will demand relief from what will become an overburdened and dangerous 13 miles. Not the biggest issue.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SP Cook on July 12, 2016, 03:04:26 PM
The idea that Corridor H is going to form some big part of a transportation system that involves the Panama Canal is grossly over-stated.  As stated, there already is a road from Norfolk into WV and into the lower midwest (I-64) and two competing railroad lines (and the Prichard Intermodal Facility, related thereto).  The editorialist overstates his case and thus harms his point.

The actual point is that a completed H does link a remote part of Appalachia to the outside world.  That is a good thing.  It does form something of a thru route for several reasonabably popular routes, such as out of the upper south into DC/Baltimore.  That is a good thing.  It will pull a small part of the truck traffic off the grossly congested and dangerous 81.  Maybe a % or 2 or 3 with have destinations where a completed H makes sense, considering the time.  That is a good thing.  And it opens up some ski and other tourist areas to the lower east coast market. Thas is a good thing. 

It was not necessary to overstate the case to make the point for H. 

As to the whole "Virginia will never build it", well, the 13 miles in Virginia are not that bad, and, if ever actually completed in WV, the locals will demand relief from what will become an overburdened and dangerous 13 miles. Not the biggest issue.

Well-stated. 

Regarding the 13 miles of U.S. 48/Va. 55 on the Commonwealth's side of North Mountain, it is no fun at all if behind a laden commercial vehicle.  There are no climbing lanes, and even headed east (mostly downhill) the trucks have to keep their speed down, and there is Little North Mountain to be crossed between Star Tannery and Lebanon Church.

One of the main obstructions to Corridor H in Virginia was Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va. 10) who is now retired.  Part of the lawsuit settlement said that WVDOT could not build any part of the road east of Wardensville before 2020.  We are not that far from 2020, and Wolf is gone, so hopefully it will get completed to the state line in the not so distant future.

froggie

Quote from: SP Cookthe locals will demand relief from what will become an overburdened and dangerous 13 miles.

This won't happen until they get the relief they're already demanding for the overburdened and dangerous I-81 already in their backyard.  Don't hold your breath on an improved VA 55 (sic US 48) route until then...

Sykotyk

The reason why the Inland Port is so important is that though Norfolk's port can handle the size of the ship, the capacity of the port to process that many containers is questionable. It's easier to simply offload straight to rail a lot of the containers and send them to another facility with the capacity to handle those containers. Because these super ships aren't going to be the only ones docking. You're still going to have a lot of other ships that normally come in from Africa or Europe on the east coast. This just alleviates pressure from the Chinese or Japanese origin containers from having to go through the west coast and via rail to the east.

There's only so many drayage trucks to handle running contains back and fort from a port to a warehouse and then returning. And only so much land those ports can handle that many containers moving about at one time. Sending large quanities of an inbound ship's containers to an inland port is economical and logistically 'stress easing' for the port unloading them. Plus, it's going to cut off a bit of the overall cost, as locomotive transport in bulk is much cheaper than the hundreds of trucks needed to make the same similar movement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.