News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AASHTO May 5, 2013 Route Numbering Actions and Applications

Started by Grzrd, May 09, 2013, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Grzrd on July 17, 2013, 12:47:15 PM
Since there is the occasional complaint that I-11 really does not fit the grid, why not change and go with another gridbuster that is more Vegas-centric: I-69$.

A more fitting one would be I-69-01. (Obscure joke, many slot floors use an A-12-34 type addressing scheme for the machines, where the letter designates the zone, the first two numbers are the bank/row, and the last two numbers are the machine position on that bank.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rover_0

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2013, 01:35:36 AM
Since there is the occasional complaint that I-11 really does not fit the grid, why not change and go with another gridbuster that is more Vegas-centric: I-69$.
A more fitting one would be I-69-01. (Obscure joke, many slot floors use an A-12-34 type addressing scheme for the machines, where the letter designates the zone, the first two numbers are the bank/row, and the last two numbers are the machine position on that bank.)

Would it be too late (with the whole I-11 legislation) to make I-11 an I-19 extension, should these Tucson plans happen?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Rover_0 on July 18, 2013, 05:24:03 PM

Would it be too late (with the whole I-11 legislation) to make I-11 an I-19 extension, should these Tucson plans happen?
Call your Congressman and ask them.

FightingIrish

Why? Just to please a few fussy roadgeeks?

I think I-11 is a fine number. And yes, it does fit the grid (considering that I-15 is diagonal from southern Utah to Los Angeles, if you want to get technical). And why shouldn't a freeway connecting Arizona and Nevada get its own number? Not like the western states are going to run out of interstate numbers anytime soon.

If the powers-that-be intended I-19 to be a different number, they would have signed it as a continuation of I-17. But as it currently stands, I think they all work as intended.

Besides, if I were to harass Congress about anything, I'd tell 'em to stop all that partisan gridlock bullshit and start getting things done in D.C. I get it, the Republicans are pissed Obama won. Hey, Democrats didn't like Bush either. Stop acting like babies!

<stepping off soapbox>

Molandfreak

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 24, 2013, 08:09:04 PM

Why? Just to please a few fussy roadgeeks?

I think I-11 is a fine number. And yes, it does fit the grid (considering that I-15 is diagonal from southern Utah to Los Angeles, if you want to get technical). And why shouldn't a freeway connecting Arizona and Nevada get its own number? Not like the western states are going to run out of interstate numbers anytime soon.

If the powers-that-be intended I-19 to be a different number, they would have signed it as a continuation of I-17. But as it currently stands, I think they all work as intended.

Besides, if I were to harass Congress about anything, I'd tell 'em to stop all that partisan gridlock bullshit and start getting things done in D.C. I get it, the Republicans are pissed Obama won. Hey, Democrats didn't like Bush either. Stop acting like babies!

<stepping off soapbox>
The idea is to have two numbers on the CANAMEX corridor, not three. And the fussy roadgeeks who like the grid too much will have a fit about that one, too, because I-17 would be east of I-19. I agree that the grid should be used only for reference and not everything has to be exactly correct, but this is an instance where it is better just to extend one number, rather than use something new.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 24, 2013, 08:25:16 PM
The idea is to have two numbers on the CANAMEX corridor, not three.
Then why not reroute I-15 so there's one number - on both sides of the border?

Frankly, I don't give a shit about the latest big corridor or giving it one number. I-69 should not be one number. Neither should USBR 76.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Quote from: NE2 on July 24, 2013, 08:32:22 PM

Frankly, I don't give a shit about the latest big corridor or giving it one number. I-69 should not be one number. Neither should USBR 76.
That I-15 re-route would actually be ideal in my book. Agreed that I-69 shouldn't have been one number (or built at all in northern Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, or Mississippi). Even though it screws up the grid, the I-19 extension is ideal because it requires minimal number-changing on ADOT?'s part, and saves I-11 for another day (which obviously won't happen, but meh...) If you could extend an existing interstate reasonably, why not?
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on July 24, 2013, 08:32:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I suggested that once before.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kkt

Not like the western states are going to run out of interstate numbers anytime soon.

Maybe not soon, but I can envision running out of N-S interstates in the foreseeable future:

I-1 cannot use, would duplicate CA-1
US-101 from L.A. to S.F. -> I-3
I-5 in use
US-97 -> I-7
CA-99 from the Grapevine to Sacramento -> I-9
CA-14 and US-395 from San Fernando to Reno -> I-11  oops, wait...

All of which would be more worthwhile projects than Phoenix to Las Vegas.  Well, okay, maybe not US-97.

FightingIrish

The idea is to have two numbers on the CANAMEX corridor, not three. And the fussy roadgeeks who like the grid too much will have a fit about that one, too, because I-17 would be east of I-19. I agree that the grid should be used only for reference and not everything has to be exactly correct, but this is an instance where it is better just to extend one number, rather than use something new.

You're absolutely right! With the random nature of some routes (i.e. diagonals), it would be impossible to route everything 100% to the grid. So yes, there will be a few areas of contention.

Quote from: kkt on July 24, 2013, 11:27:16 PM
Not like the western states are going to run out of interstate numbers anytime soon.

Maybe not soon, but I can envision running out of N-S interstates in the foreseeable future:

I-1 cannot use, would duplicate CA-1
US-101 from L.A. to S.F. -> I-3
I-5 in use
US-97 -> I-7
CA-99 from the Grapevine to Sacramento -> I-9
CA-14 and US-395 from San Fernando to Reno -> I-11  oops, wait...

All of which would be more worthwhile projects than Phoenix to Las Vegas.  Well, okay, maybe not US-97.

I would think SR99 and the Phoenix to Las Vegas are very important routes, and are both at the front of the line. As for the others, like I said, I really don't think they'll run out of numbers, unless hoards of people begin a mass exodus to live in the California desert. And even then, by the time those other routes get upgraded to interstates, we'll likely all be dead.

vdeane

I very much doubt I-11 would ever be a CANAMEX corridor.  Not enough traffic across Nevada.  Besides, numbers like I-11 and I-69 aren't valid transcontinental numbers; for that you need an x5.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Molandfreak

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2013, 08:44:54 PM
I very much doubt I-11 would ever be a CANAMEX corridor.  Not enough traffic across Nevada.  Besides, numbers like I-11 and I-69 aren't valid transcontinental numbers; for that you need an x5.

http://www.itd.idaho.gov/transporter/2002/080202_Trans/080202_CanaMex.html

Alps

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 25, 2013, 10:21:18 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

http://www.itd.idaho.gov/transporter/2002/080202_Trans/080202_CanaMex.html
That says to me "route 15 down the proposed corridor and turn the rest into 11"

NE2

That's what I said. Bonus: Mexico's side is also 15.

I'm not a big fan of the hard turn at Vegas, but any farther east and you get into the mountains, not good for heavy trucks hauling Mexicanadians with calves the size of cantaloupes. The only reasonable alternative seems to be 89-160-191-6, which saves only 12 miles (and may have issues north of Price).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

Quote from: Steve on July 26, 2013, 07:19:12 PM
That says to me "route 15 down the proposed corridor and turn the rest into 11"

It would make the grid neater.  But of the traffic from St. George to Vegas, I bet 99% of it continues toward California.

US-93 is a fine route number.  If it had to be interstate, I-515 would also be fine.

Molandfreak

Quote from: NE2 on July 26, 2013, 07:28:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the hard turn at Vegas,
If you really wanted to get rid of that crap, you could also straighten out that stupid little hairpin curve at Great Falls. Not that it really matters.

Quote from: kkt on July 26, 2013, 07:39:08 PM
US-93 is a fine route number.  If it had to be interstate, I-515 would also be fine.
To make another I-476? Uh, no thank you.

It would make the grid neater.  But of the traffic from St. George to Vegas, I bet 99% of it continues toward California.
And I bet 99% of the traffic from Memphis to Chicago has no intention of going through St. Louis. But that didn't stop them from routing I-55 through all three.

kkt

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 26, 2013, 07:53:08 PM

What aspect of I-476 are you objecting to?  I assume not its bitter environmental opposition.  Just that it's long for a 3di?  There's lots of space between cities in the intermountain west, I don't see length by itself justifying a low traffic 2di.

And I bet 99% of the traffic from Memphis to Chicago has no intention of going through St. Louis. But that didn't stop them from routing I-55 through all three.

There's significant traffic from Chicago to St. Louis, which has not been demonstrated for Las Vegas-Phoenix.

Molandfreak

Quote from: kkt on July 27, 2013, 12:36:20 PM

What aspect of I-476 are you objecting to?  I assume not its bitter environmental opposition.  Just that it's long for a 3di?  There's lots of space between cities in the intermountain west, I don't see length by itself justifying a low traffic 2di.
Creating a 300-mile 3di just because it has low traffic? I know you want all those other corridors to become interstates, but couldn't one of them use I-13 in lieu of I-11?

There's significant traffic from Chicago to St. Louis, which has not been demonstrated for Las Vegas-Phoenix.
The point is that the interstate system has a lot of areas where the road doesn't necessarily follow, or continue on, the way you want to go. I-94 is a better example of this.

corco

QuoteThere's significant traffic from Chicago to St. Louis, which has not been demonstrated for Las Vegas-Phoenix.

It hasn't?

kkt

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 27, 2013, 12:50:52 PM
Quote from: kkt on July 27, 2013, 12:36:20 PM
Creating a 300-mile 3di just because it has low traffic? I know you want all those other corridors to become interstates, but couldn't one of them use I-13 in lieu of I-11?

I'm not advocating an interstate there at all.  Let Arizona build whatever they want, but interstate route numbers should be allocated more objectively.

So, I-13 is too unlucky for Nevada and Arizona, but it would be just fine for the losers on the coast?  Using number I-13 for one of the other possible interstates I mentioned would be even worse for the grid than I-11 is already.

The point is that the interstate system has a lot of areas where the road doesn't necessarily follow, or continue on, the way you want to go. I-94 is a better example of this.

So there are other cases of the interstate not following the traveled route.  Does that mean we should create even more instances of it?

Quote from: corco on July 27, 2013, 01:22:23 PM
QuoteThere's significant traffic from Chicago to St. Louis, which has not been demonstrated for Las Vegas-Phoenix.

It hasn't?

http://mpd.azdot.gov/data/aadt.asp

Check the 2010 and 2030 AADT columns.  There are three busy spots:  Hoover Dam,  right next to I-40, and approaching the Phoenix end.  At the moment, everywhere else is well under 10,000 AADT; even by 2030 only from I-40 to Hoover Dam and the area around Phoenix are projected to be over 10,000.  Doesn't need to be an interstate.

In a previous post above, I said US-97 probably doesn't need to be interstate either, but it's closer than US-93.  At least there are more than three spots with heavy traffic. 

It's up to Arizona what they build, but if it were up to me I'd just reserve right of way for future construction of freeway from I-40 to Hoover Dam and build a bypass for Phoenix, and leave the rest alone.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: kkt on July 27, 2013, 09:19:45 PM
So, I-13 is too unlucky for Nevada and Arizona, but it would be just fine for the losers on the coast?  Using number I-13 for one of the other possible interstates I mentioned would be even worse for the grid than I-11 is already.
The reason luck factored into I-11's number is because Las Vegas is built on gambling.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.