News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Instate building design mistake between states?

Started by ledzep30513, March 05, 2024, 09:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 10:51:15 AM
Quote from: ledzep30513 on March 06, 2024, 09:47:03 AM
My source is my my wife's first cousins husband and ... It's only been 50 or so years since he saw it.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 10, 2024, 11:04:16 PM
Because the internet is what it is, you most likely saw a photoshopped image or illusion ...

Wow, he must have been a really early adopter of home internet!

Seems to be a pretty big issue if this actually did occur.  Things like "every interstate highway must be straight for a mile every 5 miles" lives on in folklure forever; an idea of the 1950's that was proposed but never became a standard.  I would think 2 highways that were slightly offset after completion of building would be something that would be locatable also.

ErmineNotyours

Drifting off to the topic of following different grids: in Anaheim, California there's a place where the grid following the Mt. Diablo Meridian and the grid following the San Bernardo Meridian meet.  Arterials are usually laid down on square-mile section lines, and because these grids shifted, the arterials shifted with them, connected with curves.  A surprise on the ride from the airport to Disneyland was that my parents drove on one of these curves, which I recognized immediately.  https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7742554,-117.9555028,15z?entry=ttu

coldshoulder

In regards to adjoining grids not matching up correctly, this area in Mesa, Arizona appears to be another example.  Most of the north-south roadways all have an S curve effect just south of US-60.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/igK4ef67Pwjnx6529
You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

kphoger

Quote from: coldshoulder on March 14, 2024, 11:43:23 PM
In regards to adjoining grids not matching up correctly, this area in Mesa, Arizona appears to be another example.  Most of the north-south roadways all have an S curve effect just south of US-60.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/igK4ef67Pwjnx6529

And some of them curve south of . . . Baseline Road! . . . instead.  Gee, do you suppose that street name is telling?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 08, 2024, 06:13:18 PM
Similar to the issues with True North vs. Magnetic North, there are subtle differences at the edges of each of the local GIS grids.  For smaller projects that cross these grids, most planners and design engineers simply utilize a fake grid that encompasses the entire project and nobody is the wiser.  But on longer projects that cross these grids, design engineers need to use a more robust geospatial platform that can line up everything correctly, adjusting for the Earth's curvature.  [Sorry, I've worked on some of these projects but have no experience to explain further].
r to get their preliminary engineering drawings "correct" usually forces all of the others to make adjustments to their fake grids to get things lined up end-to-end.  Guilty as charged.

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2024, 06:21:38 PM
Planning folks?  In NY, surveying is in Design.

No surveying involved here.  The "fake grid" is simply taking existing GIS data and dropping proposed designs on top of them for visual effect.  Oftentimes, those designs are overly simplistic ("for planning purposes only").

If I had my way, I would have the civil engineers lay out the entire project as accurately as possible without worrying about the underlying GIS data mapping.  Then I would have an "artist" take the GIS underlay and chop it into pieces that could be slightly rotated on each end of the project to achieve the intended visual effect.  Instead, you've got design engineers demanding that the planners map out the project so that the final designs can be overlaid on the planned designs (ergo, take the planners work and use some of it for final design).  ...Which doesn't make any sense to someone actually designing the entire project on a fancy-dancy CADD design system (such as Bentley System's OpenRail or the highway equivalent).

Rothman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 15, 2024, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 08, 2024, 06:13:18 PM
Similar to the issues with True North vs. Magnetic North, there are subtle differences at the edges of each of the local GIS grids.  For smaller projects that cross these grids, most planners and design engineers simply utilize a fake grid that encompasses the entire project and nobody is the wiser.  But on longer projects that cross these grids, design engineers need to use a more robust geospatial platform that can line up everything correctly, adjusting for the Earth's curvature.  [Sorry, I've worked on some of these projects but have no experience to explain further].
r to get their preliminary engineering drawings "correct" usually forces all of the others to make adjustments to their fake grids to get things lined up end-to-end.  Guilty as charged.

Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2024, 06:21:38 PM
Planning folks?  In NY, surveying is in Design.

No surveying involved here.  The "fake grid" is simply taking existing GIS data and dropping proposed designs on top of them for visual effect.  Oftentimes, those designs are overly simplistic ("for planning purposes only").

If I had my way, I would have the civil engineers lay out the entire project as accurately as possible without worrying about the underlying GIS data mapping.  Then I would have an "artist" take the GIS underlay and chop it into pieces that could be slightly rotated on each end of the project to achieve the intended visual effect.  Instead, you've got design engineers demanding that the planners map out the project so that the final designs can be overlaid on the planned designs (ergo, take the planners work and use some of it for final design).  ...Which doesn't make any sense to someone actually designing the entire project on a fancy-dancy CADD design system (such as Bentley System's OpenRail or the highway equivalent).
Best corollary I can think of us NYSDOT surveyors short-cutting where the highway boundary was back in the 1990s by just saying it was X feet from the centerline.  Still paying the price for that now when dealing with ROW issues.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.