News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Finding New Posts

Started by mrsman, February 02, 2018, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 09, 2018, 11:53:50 AM
Is there a way to "unfollow" a thread one has posted in by preventing fresh replies from causing it to be displayed in the "unread replies" listing?  This would be very useful in eliminating the passive incentive to keep coming back to a thread where discussion has bogged down.

There isn't.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 09, 2018, 11:53:50 AM
Is there a way to "unfollow" a thread one has posted in by preventing fresh replies from causing it to be displayed in the "unread replies" listing?  This would be very useful in eliminating the passive incentive to keep coming back to a thread where discussion has bogged down.

If you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, I have attempted to de-bog by deleting a few posts, and am committed to staying away from it from this point forward.

J N Winkler

Quote from: webny99 on February 09, 2018, 12:05:51 PMIf you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, I have attempted to de-bog by deleting a few posts, and am committed to staying away from it from this point forward.

I appreciate your efforts in this regard.  I tried to salvage the thread yesterday, and others pitched in to help, but I sense that as the focus is no longer on a particular region, it is probably better to wait a while and start a separate thread on the same topic (possibly in the Traffic Control board) and let it find its audience organically so that participants in the previous discussion are not baited back into it through their own "unread replies" notifications.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 09, 2018, 02:52:39 PM
I appreciate your efforts in this regard.  I tried to salvage the thread yesterday, and others pitched in to help, but I sense that as the focus is no longer on a particular region, it is probably better to wait a while and start a separate thread on the same topic (possibly in the Traffic Control board) and let it find its audience organically so that participants in the previous discussion are not baited back into it through their own "unread replies" notifications.

When you posted several thoughts and questions for our consideration yesterday, I almost suggested that discussion along those lines was better fit for General Highway Talk (or Traffic Control, as you suggest). Discussion specific to New York has, quite literally, been exhausted. A fresh start is in order; I will anticipate it eagerly, but not with bated breath.  ;-)

webny99

I'm going to make myself look like a fool again - I didn't know about this page until yesterday. Interesting information at times - knowing which users have posts in progress and which threads users (and guests) are viewing.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
I'm going to make myself look like a fool again - I didn't know about this page until yesterday. Interesting information at times - knowing which users have posts in progress and which threads users (and guests) are viewing.

I didn't know about it for the longest time either, until I found it a few months ago by accidentally clicking on it and finding it.

It is indeed some interesting information.  :nod:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hotdogPi

I used it extensively for the first few months, causing me to resurrect many old threads (constructively, so most people had no problem with it).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 13, 2018, 12:46:00 PM
I used it extensively for the first few months, causing me to resurrect many old threads (constructively, so most people had no problem with it).

Funny you say that. That's actually how I found the board - I was reading some old threads, and you mentioned that you had seen a guest viewing a thread and posted to it.

I didn't know there was a way to tell what pages a user (much less a guest) was viewing. I then found the link at the bottom of the home page, and have been obsessed with it ever since  ;-)

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 12:17:56 PM

I didn't know about it either.  I didn't know about the NEW button until it was discussed in this thread.

I worked in the IT field 1984-2017, and there are lots of IT things that I do know and lots of things that I don't know.  No big deal, and I am not embarrassed to learn something new.  That is what groups of people help you do.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.