News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Trivia Question: In Texas, where was the old location of FM 423?

Started by Brian556, October 12, 2010, 09:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Trivia Question: In Texas, where was the old location of FM 423?

I want to see if anybody knows this.

Scott5114

I could not tell you the current location of FM 423 without looking it up! :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

I'm sure it randomly turns to dirt a few miles away from US-83.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

Give Up?

Ok, here's the answer...http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/fm/fm0423.htm

It was at a completely different location than the FM 423 we know today. It started at what was US 77 (now Mill St) in Lewisville, north on Cowan Av, across what is now Lewisville Lake, ending at SH 24 (24T in its final few years) at the west end of the Lake Dallas Dam.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Brian556 on October 14, 2010, 07:52:52 PMGive Up?

Deleted asinine comment

One project I would like to try at some point in the future is to write a couple of batch scripts to build a TxDOT log.  The first batch script would be built around wget as a wrapper and would check for the availability of TxDOT route listings for route numbers in all state highway classes (IH, US, SH, FM, RM, SP, LP, business variants of all the foregoing, etc.) and, where a log entry was found for a particular combination of route number and state highway class, download it.  The second script would sort all the downloaded log entries by class and number, and then parse the HTML in the individual log entries (possibly using a Windows port of sed) to remove all the CSS garbage associated with the TxDOT website.  Then the individual log files could be reflowed into a single webpage (which would be quite long and take ages to load in a browser, but what the hey).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 15, 2010, 04:01:39 AM(possibly using a Windows port of sed)

that sounds like starting a road trip by duct-taping a Chevy engine to a tricycle.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

MDRoads

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 15, 2010, 04:01:39 AM
One project I would like to try at some point in the future is to write a couple of batch scripts to build a TxDOT log.  The first batch script would be built around wget as a wrapper and would check for the availability of TxDOT route listings for route numbers in all state highway classes (IH, US, SH, FM, RM, SP, LP, business variants of all the foregoing, etc.) and, where a log entry was found for a particular combination of route number and state highway class, download it.  The second script would sort all the downloaded log entries by class and number, and then parse the HTML in the individual log entries (possibly using a Windows port of sed) to remove all the CSS garbage associated with the TxDOT website.  Then the individual log files could be reflowed into a single webpage (which would be quite long and take ages to load in a browser, but what the hey).

Not only could it be filtered for HTML, but to roll your own route log database file.  Then just use PHP and MySQL to search it, and serve it up any way you please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.