News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite and Least Favorite stretch of freeway in the Mid-South

Started by achilles765, May 10, 2012, 06:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msunat97

2 Least Favorites:
I-40 Between Little Rock & Memphis
Hwy 65 from Arkansas to I-20...every other car seems like a cop...2 lane flat road through the Louisiana Delta should be driven faster than 55mph

Favorite
I've always liked I-20 in East Texas.

rte66man

Quote from: Road Hog on June 29, 2012, 02:07:59 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on May 15, 2012, 07:21:13 AM
Quote from: Alex on May 12, 2012, 09:25:02 PM
Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2012, 07:31:04 PM
Best: I-540 north of Alma.

Worst: I-40 from West Memphis to North Little Rock.

There is some construction that VMS kept touting along that stretch of I-40. Signs for it were illuminated in both West Memphis and Little Rock, even displaying stuff like "construction in 57 miles". What is the road work?

The White River bridge is being rebuilt, and traffic is down to one lane in each direction across the bridge as it is replaced one side at a time.

Got caught in that traffic jam a few weeks ago. Traffic was at a full stop at the Brinkley exit going west and didn't move for tens of minutes at a time. I reckoned the length of the jam at 14 miles. Took me two full hours.

Best detour westbound - exit at Brinkley, south on US49, west on US70 to Hazen, then north on AR11 back to 40

Best detour eastbound - exit at Hazen, sount on AR11 (US63), east on 70 to Biscoe, north on AR33 back to I40

Alternate detour both directions - US64 from Conway to West Memphis.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

You could also take US 67/167 north to Cabot, then AR 89 to AR 367 to AR 38 east through Des Arc and Cotton Plant then south on AR 17 to US 49 to Brinkley back to I-40 east.  The state highways are slow (speed limit 55) but this is about the same length as  the US 64 route but more of it is on I-40 so it should be faster.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.