News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

^ What were you disappointed with?  The gas tax increase itself, the Constitutional issue you brought up, or the "tricks" used to get it through the House?

mvak36

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 02, 2017, 07:51:59 AM
Widening I-65 between Nashville and the KY State Line and I-24 between I-59 and US 27 are big things I am looking forward to.

After looking at all the proposed projects at https://www.tdot.tn.gov/projectneeds/spot#/ , I have convinced myself that they're going to be announcing mostly backlog projects today. The projects you listed aren't backlog projects, but you never know. Those are pretty good projects too. I can't wait to see what they announce. :coffee:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Avalanchez71

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2017, 07:27:22 AM
^ What were you disappointed with?  The gas tax increase itself, the Constitutional issue you brought up, or the "tricks" used to get it through the House?

The passing of the bill at the end of the day is Constitutional.  The gas tax increase is insane.  More people live in Tennessee so we have more people paying the gas tax.  Therefore we are collecting more gas tax. 

hbelkins

Tennessee has no income tax. They make up for it by taxing you to death on everything else.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DeaconG

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2017, 12:28:59 PM
Tennessee has no income tax. They make up for it by taxing you to death on everything else.

Or like Florida, where they fee you to death.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

sparker

Quote from: DeaconG on May 03, 2017, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2017, 12:28:59 PM

Or like Florida, where they fee you to death.

Every state that lacks one or another tax component compensates by relatively onerous taxes elsewhere.  When I lived in Oregon, there was no sales tax -- but the state income tax was relatively high compared with states with a more comprehensive tax program -- as was the property tax (as I inferred from my landlord's constant complaints in that regard).  The lack of sales tax sure attracted WA residents, who regularly hauled their big-ticket items back over the Columbia after saving about 7-8% (back in '93-'97). 

froggie

Quote from: Avalanchez71More people live in Tennessee so we have more people paying the gas tax.  Therefore we are collecting more gas tax. 

Despite your assertion, it's very clear that the previous gas tax wasn't keeping up with the demand/need.  Furthermore, since Tennessee is a pay-as-you-go state, they don't have many other options available to them.  Where would you propose they get the money from?

Avalanchez71

I liked the Hawk/Speaker Harwell plan.  I go to the pump each week and get goosed on the tax.  with the Hawk/Speaker Harwell plan I would paid taxes on my vehicle purchase. 

mvak36

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/05/08/tdot-commissioner-speaks-franktalk/313206001/

Apparently the announcement of the IMPROVE Act project list will be delayed until the state budget is passed. So we will have to wait for a little bit.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Grzrd

I-39

Quote from: Grzrd on May 09, 2017, 11:55:07 AM
TDOT has posted its FY 2018-20 Three Year Plan.

Good! They will be start widening TN 96 from Arno Rd to Wilson Pike starting next year (as well as move forward with ROW acquisition for the segment east of there to 840). This is a much needed improvement, TN 96 between Franklin and Triune needs to be widened to a five lane cross section.

Also, I'm glad they are constructing the NW portion of Mack Hatcher Parkway, I just wish it would be built to four lanes instead of two.

Great Lakes Roads

TDOT is ready for 2 bridges on I-24 in Nashville to be replaced by using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC)... price tag: $28.5 million.

Will require I-24 to be shut down for four weekends... similar to I-40 Fast Fix 8 project that happened two years ago...

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfra1jM8sRg

I-39

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 13, 2017, 07:13:34 PM
TDOT is ready for 2 bridges on I-24 in Nashville to be replaced by using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC)... price tag: $28.5 million.

Will require I-24 to be shut down for four weekends... similar to I-40 Fast Fix 8 project that happened two years ago...

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfra1jM8sRg

Great, this will cause delays........

But it does need it badly.

froggie

Fewer delays overall than if they tried to do it under traffic.

ukfan758

Probably a crazy proposal but would it be worth connecting 440 to the Briley Parkway on the east side and widening 440 from 65 to 24 to accommodate the extra traffic? I'm not familiar with the area but are there lots of NIMBYs/tree hugger types there?

Roadsguy

Quote from: ukfan758 on July 09, 2017, 01:34:10 PM
Probably a crazy proposal but would it be worth connecting 440 to the Briley Parkway on the east side and widening 440 from 65 to 24 to accommodate the extra traffic? I'm not familiar with the area but are there lots of NIMBYs/tree hugger types there?

Seems way more doable to just upgrade the Briley Pkwy past the airport to I-24.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

froggie

There was a fight just to get 440 built to begin with.  I highly doubt you'd get it widened.

Also, I would think that improving 24 between 440 and 40 would be both less expensive and more likely to happen than any potential extension (or improvement of Briley south of 40).  It should be noted that there is already a direct connection from WB 40 to WB 440 that is completely separate from I-24's lanes.  It wouldn't take much improvement to make a similar direct connection from EB 440 to EB 40.

I-39

That is a decent idea, but it will never happen because of too much disruption. I think it is more realistic, as froggie said, that I-24 will be improved between I-40 and I-440. Something needs to be done. Whenever I go to the Airport, traffic slows down around that area for no reason. It will only get worse as the Nashville Airport continues to grow.

wriddle082

The particular neighborhood that your 440 extension would plow through is mostly commercial in the Murfreesboro Rd area and apartment complexes closer to Briley Pkwy.  Not sure TDOT would want to pay fair market value for those properties.  Otherwise, like everyone else has pretty much said, the current setup really isn't that bad, though I think trying to have two dedicated lanes from 440 east to 24 west to 40 east, where you wouldn't have to change lanes at all until you get to 40 east, would be a big relief.  Which could mean dropping the right lane on 24 west before the traffic from 440 east merges in from the right, and possibly extending a couple of acceleration lanes from the Murfreesboro Rd on-ramps to the transition from 24 west to 40 east.

Georgia

another problem with tying 440, Briley and 40 into that interchange is that the FAA will have a restriction on how high that stack could be. 

and the Briley cant be expanded with another lane in each direction south of 40, the median is so small, residential and commercial encroach pretty close to the current ROW that I doubt TDOT has the willingness to eminent domain hundreds of properties. 

Henry

Quote from: Georgia on July 12, 2017, 07:09:16 PM
another problem with tying 440, Briley and 40 into that interchange is that the FAA will have a restriction on how high that stack could be.
So why not just build a turbine there? You can build it much lower than a stack, so clearance will not be an issue there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

Right-of-way's already a bit tight, which is why the existing 40/Briley interchange appears oval-shaped.

I-39

Probably need to focus on re-routing Donelson Pike to accommodate the (much needed) airport expansion before either connecting I-440 to I-40 or widening I-24 between I-440 and I-40.

CYoder

Took a drive to Johnson City today and noticed that speed limits have been changed on I-26 from exit 10 (Eastern Star Rd, just south of I-81) to south of exit 24 (US-321).  Originally the stretch north of exit 17 was generally 70 mph, and south of there 55 mph.  Now the northern stretch is split 65/55 truck, and the southern stretch split 60/55.

Found two articles online about the change:
New speed limit signs installed on I-26
Speed limit changes on I-26 will impact Sullivan, Washington, Carter Co. drivers

Apparently the 70 mph zone in Carter County has also been reduced to 65/55 truck, so there is no longer any 70 mph stretch along I-26 in Tennessee, and the truck speed limit is fixed at 55 mph the entire way.

codyg1985

TDOT has a project letting this month to widen a portion of I-40 through Jackson, TN to six lanes.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.