The Illinois Red Light Corruption Saga Continues

Started by Brandon, January 17, 2020, 02:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

It's nice to see the feds finally take notice of the corrupt deals that installed many of these cameras and hopefully most (if not all) will get shut down.

Feds investigating Oakbrook Terrace Mayor Tony Ragucci in red-light camera probe, sources say

QuoteOakbrook Terrace Mayor Tony Ragucci recently paid $30,000 from his campaign fund to a lawyer representing him amid an ongoing federal corruption probe, according to campaign finance records and sources.

Ragucci is among several elected officials and politically connected contractors embroiled in a federal investigation involving SafeSpeed LLC, a controversial company that operates lucrative red-light cameras at intersections in dozens of Chicago-area suburbs, including Oakbrook Terrace, two sources with knowledge of the probe told the Chicago Tribune.

Citing federal corruption investigation, Illinois comptroller to stop helping towns collect unpaid red-light camera fines

Quote"This system is clearly broken,"  Mendoza said at a news conference, standing in front of a red-light camera at Madison Street and Western Avenue on the Near West Side. "I'm exercising my moral authority to prevent state resources being used to assist a process that, frankly, victimizes taxpayers."

All stemming from this:

Recent federal raids connected to probe of red light camera company, source says

QuoteA clout-heavy red light camera company that does millions of dollars in business in Chicago's suburbs is one focus of the federal investigation that led to last week's raids on state Sen. Martin Sandoval and several towns in his district, a source with knowledge of the probe told the Chicago Tribune.

The company, Safespeed LLC, was the subject of a Tribune investigation two years ago that revealed Sandoval – chairman of the powerful Senate Transportation Committee – had interceded with the Illinois Department of Transportation on Safespeed's behalf while also taking tens of thousands of dollars in campaign donations from the company and its owner.

And back to the start of the post:

QuoteAccording to the Tribune's 2017 investigation, Sandoval interceded with IDOT officials in 2015 and 2016 on behalf of Safespeed when the company was seeking to install lucrative red light cameras at an intersection straddling Oak Brook and Oakbrook Terrace.

IDOT originally said the intersection was too safe to need cameras, but Sandoval asked the agency to reconsider. At one point, Sandoval told IDOT he wanted to help the agency but "wasn't getting the type of cooperation on his issues that he would like to see,"  according to emails uncovered by the Tribune.

IDOT then approved Oakbrook Terrace's application.

Safety, my ass.  These things are all about the $$$$$$.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Oakbrook Terrace mayor resigns amid federal corruption investigation tied to red-light cameras

SafeSpeed and its owners and officers have been among Ragucci's heaviest political donors over the years, election records show, while Ragucci's relationship with SafeSpeed has long been controversial.

A 2017 Chicago Tribune investigation documented how, as chairman of the powerful Senate Transportation Committee, Sandoval intervened on SafeSpeed's behalf to push state transportation officials to change their stance and allow the company's cameras to be installed at the relatively safe intersection of Illinois 83 at 22nd Street in Oakbrook Terrace.

The push came even though IDOT's policies required that cameras target dangerous corners to improve safety.

Oakbrook Terrace's 2020 budget projects the two red-light cameras in operation there – both provided by SafeSpeed – will bring in $5 million in revenue over the current fiscal year.

SafeSpeed in turn charges Oakbrook Terrace about $2.3 million to operate the cameras, plus an additional $2,000 a month in "service fees,"  according to the budget posted on the city's website.

Hopefully the feds keep up the heat on him and SafeSpeed and shut SafeSpeed (what an ironic name) down.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Plutonic Panda

I hope all automated enforcement is done away with nationally with exceptions for school and work zones in certain cases.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 21, 2020, 08:25:05 AM
I hope all automated enforcement is done away with nationally with exceptions for school and work zones in certain cases.

I don't believe exceptions should exist for school and work zones.  How many times have you driven through an active school zone but no students were anywhere around?  How many times have you driven through a work zone when no workers were anywhere around?  Receiving a speeding ticket by automatic control in those scenarios is ridiculous.  Heck, I've seen flashing school zone lights on days school wasn't even in session at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2020, 11:51:49 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 21, 2020, 08:25:05 AM

I don't believe exceptions should exist for school and work zones.  How many times have you driven through an active school zone but no students were anywhere around?  How many times have you driven through a work zone when no workers were anywhere around?  Receiving a speeding ticket by automatic control in those scenarios is ridiculous.  Heck, I've seen flashing school zone lights on days school wasn't even in session at all.

some school zones are joke drop an 45-55 road to down to 20?

Revive 755

Some of the Illinois Tollway work zones are great cases for not allowing automated enforcement.  70 down to 45 for off roadway work away from traffic.  Then given how many school zones seem to be political versus actually in the interest of safety, I would lean towards not allowing autmoated enforcement for them.  Particularly when considering the  fun 'when children are present' zones where the speed limit may suddenly drop 25 mph when a kid steps within an uncertain distance of the road.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 22, 2020, 10:45:51 PM

Some of the Illinois Tollway work zones are great cases for not allowing automated enforcement.  70 down to 45 for off roadway work away from traffic.  Then given how many school zones seem to be political versus actually in the interest of safety, I would lean towards not allowing autmoated enforcement for them.  Particularly when considering the  fun 'when children are present' zones where the speed limit may suddenly drop 25 mph when a kid steps within an uncertain distance of the road.
no one does 45 much less 55 on any IL TOLLWAY unless traffic is packed.

Plutonic Panda

To clarify I don't support the automated enforcement of all school zones only certain exceptions but in general I would prefer automated enforcement be done away with.

Brandon

And the charges start.

Ex-state Sen. Martin Sandoval charged with bribery in red-light camera scheme

On Monday, the longtime Chicago Democrat was charged with bribery and tax offenses stemming from his support of the red-light camera industry when he served as the powerful head of the Senate Transportation Committee.

Prosecutors charged Sandoval in a criminal information, an indication that he is likely cooperating with investigators and intends to plead guilty. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in U.S. District Court.

The charges came four months after federal agents raided Sandoval's office in the State Capitol and marked the first public case brought in an ongoing investigation involving Sandoval and the southwest and west suburbs.

The Tribune investigation found that at least three times in late 2015 and spring 2016 Sandoval sought to get IDOT to reverse course and allow cameras in Oakbrook Terrace.

Sandoval initially forwarded a SafeSpeed pitch about its cameras to a top IDOT engineer, saying his "assistance"  would "be appreciated."

Later, after IDOT was holding firm, the engineer told colleagues that Sandoval had called twice more. The engineer said Sandoval suggested that he'd like to help IDOT in other areas but was "not getting the type of cooperation on his issues that he would like to see."  At the time, Sandoval held some sway over the agency's agenda as Senate transportation chairman.

Within a month, IDOT reversed course and approved the cameras for SafeSpeed, which operates lucrative red-light cameras at intersections in dozens of Chicago-area suburbs.

QuoteSafeSpeed's owner, Nikki Zollar, has said the company does "not tolerate wrongdoing or public corruption and we support efforts to root it out."

Now there's a large load of bullshit if I've ever seen or smelled one.

QuoteAlso of interest to the FBI is Oakbrook Terrace Mayor Tony Ragucci, who resigned earlier this month on the same day the Tribune reported that he'd recently paid $30,000 from his campaign fund to a lawyer representing him in the probe.

And the actual two-page indictment:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-martin-sandoval-charges-20200127-bpj6ogmsd5f2tolorxlbdv65vq-htmlstory.html

ET21

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 22, 2020, 11:22:31 PM
To clarify I don't support the automated enforcement of all school zones only certain exceptions but in general I would prefer automated enforcement be done away with.

School zones I don't mind, but do it during the school year. Don't give people tickets in the middle of July when the school is clearly closed and we can abide by the normal speed limit.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on January 28, 2020, 09:17:43 AM

School zones I don't mind, but do it during the school year. Don't give people tickets in the middle of July when the school is clearly closed and we can abide by the normal speed limit.

I'm still opposed, because I've seen active school zone limits on days when classes were canceled or never even scheduled to begin with.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ozarkman417

and them having year-round school doesn't help

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2020, 11:09:56 AM

I'm still opposed, because I've seen active school zone limits on days when classes were canceled or never even scheduled to begin with.

That would require logistical planning with every school in the state where they would need to send every day off to the operator so he/she can turn the camera on and off. Sounds too much of a pain for Illinois to deal with.

Either have them on between the first/last day of school or get rid of them at this point. The latter would seem to be the course everyone is aiming towards
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

GaryV

How about after the school is closed down?  Our district is contracting, and some elementaries were closed (and eventually torn down and replaced by housing).  Yet the "No Turn On Red" with time limits "on school days" sign remained up for a long time.  Probably would have been enforceable.

Plutonic Panda

Right. The cameras should automatically be disabled outside of school zone hours.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 29, 2020, 02:24:34 PM

Right. The cameras should automatically be disabled outside of school zone hours.

What fun, trying to dispute a camera-issued speeding ticket you incurred on a day that classes were canceled.  You'd probably have to bring evidence to the courthouse that there were no classes that day.
Male pronouns, please.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on January 29, 2020, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 29, 2020, 02:24:34 PM

What fun, trying to dispute a camera-issued speeding ticket you incurred on a day that classes were canceled.  You'd probably have to bring evidence to the courthouse that there were no classes that day.
Cities that control said devices would be able to deactivate them during the 3-4 days classes are canceled out of the year.

SEWIGuy

It's not just the 3-4 days classes are cancelled.  Schools have all sorts of early release days, etc.

It's probably best just to eliminate them entirely and rely on in-person policing.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 29, 2020, 04:13:32 PM
It's not just the 3-4 days classes are cancelled.  Schools have all sorts of early release days, etc.

It's probably best just to eliminate them entirely and rely on in-person policing.
In person policing can't be had at every problematic school zone. It doesn't make sense for a police department to shift all or even a majority of its operations from the rest of the city to school zones.

During early release the city can adjust active enforcement periods. We have been to the moon, I am sure we can formulate a policy to ensure motorists will not be ticketed when school zones are inactive.

I am strongly against over enforcement of minor traffic violations like speeding where I think undercover cars should be banned for traffic enforcement nationwide and I would like to see the practice of cops hiding and waiting for speeders scaled back or done away with entirely. That said school zones exist for a reason and as much as I speed I think we should do more to curb speeding through them.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 29, 2020, 04:28:50 PM
In person policing can't be had at every problematic school zone. It doesn't make sense for a police department to shift all or even a majority of its operations from the rest of the city to school zones.

I have my doubts about the existence of "problematic school zones".  If so many people are driving too fast through the school zone, then I suspect the school zone is unreasonable.  And if that is the case, then I doubt the speeding actually causes any problems.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

I am strongly against over enforcement of minor traffic violations like speeding where I think undercover cars should be banned for traffic enforcement nationwide and I would like to see the practice of cops hiding and waiting for speeders scaled back or done away with entirely.

That's kinda ridiculous.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 29, 2020, 04:48:19 PM
I am strongly against over enforcement of minor traffic violations like speeding where I think undercover cars should be banned for traffic enforcement nationwide and I would like to see the practice of cops hiding and waiting for speeders scaled back or done away with entirely.

That's kinda ridiculous.
What is even more ridiculous is the highway robbery police departments rely on citing hardworking people who are going a reasonable speed. Most of the time speed limits are set arbitrarily or lower than they should be. We should have cops patrolling in traffic citing people for reckless and distracted driving which is the main cause of car accidents.

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on January 29, 2020, 09:19:09 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 28, 2020, 11:09:56 AM

That would require logistical planning with every school in the state where they would need to send every day off to the operator so he/she can turn the camera on and off. Sounds too much of a pain for Illinois to deal with.

Either have them on between the first/last day of school or get rid of them at this point. The latter would seem to be the course everyone is aiming towards

Given the corruption behind the cameras at this point, it would be best to get rid of them and permanently ban them as is the case in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.