CA 198 from I-5 to US 101, Old CA 25, G15/Metz Road, CA 146, and West Pinnacles

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 28, 2016, 07:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The wishing well I mentioned previously:

IMG_2362 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2363 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Isn't too long before 146 blows back out to two-lanes.  Looks pretty good with the new asphalt and paint:

IMG_2370 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Shortly Salinas Valley and Santa Lucia Range come into view as 146 drops out of the Gabilan Range:

IMG_2371 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2373 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There is one really large turn with approaching Metz Road followed by some steeply graded hills:

IMG_2376 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2377 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2378 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

For whatever reason traffic out of Pinnacles doesn't even get a G15 or CA 146 shield.  The pavement job actually ended at Metz Road, my photo was heavily blurred...so here is the western jog towards Soledad:

IMG_2381 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Which intersects the other end of Stonewall Canyon Road:

IMG_2383 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Entering Soledad along Metz Road, 146 drops to 25 MPH:

IMG_2384 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Which then takes a left turn on East Street:

IMG_2385 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And another left on Front Street here...which is where I believe used to be the terminus at US 101.  No signage to be found directing traffic left to continue on 146:

IMG_2386 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

But there is a shield coming from the other direction on Front Street:

IMG_2390 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Looking south on 146 along Front Street:

IMG_2391 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2391 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

With the turn to US 101 south:

IMG_2393 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

With the 146 END shield above the overpass with US 101:

IMG_2394 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 15, 2017, 11:08:00 PM
Kind of silly there is a "Single Lane" sign just south of Stonewall Canyon Road:

IMG_2360 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Always wanted to print up a bunch of MUTCD-compliant yellow-orange rectangular signs for just the situation outlined above, stating:

NO
                                                              SHIT,
                                                           SHERLOCK

Post 'em under the offending warning as needed and see how long it takes Caltrans to take them down (and some CT employee likely putting it on his wall!) :-D

Max Rockatansky

^^^

I think you might see it up there for several years given that the repave just ended apparently today?  The only other Caltrans worker I've ever seen on any segment of 146 prior to this was a guy fishing coins out of the wishing well.  Now the real trick be the over/under on signage theft, I'd give it 3 years.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2017, 12:13:06 AM
^^^

I think you might see it up there for several years given that the repave just ended apparently today?  The only other Caltrans worker I've ever seen on any segment of 146 prior to this was a guy fishing coins out of the wishing well.  Now the real trick be the over/under on signage theft, I'd give it 3 years.

I was thinking metric reverse-thread bolts & Loctite!  Just my luck, some MF would bring a chainsaw and decapitate the whole assembly! :ded:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 16, 2017, 12:44:42 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2017, 12:13:06 AM
^^^

I was thinking metric reverse-thread bolts & Loctite!  Just my luck, some MF would bring a chainsaw and decapitate the whole assembly! :ded:

Hell I'm surprised no 146 shields have popped up on market.  Its not like anyone who goes to Pinnacles would likely ever notice once they get off of Metz Road. 

Max Rockatansky

Not to bring up a dead topic but I was reading my October edition of Motortrend this morning and noticed the 2017 Best Driver's Car feature was partially conducted on CA 198 between US 101 and I-5.  Basically my understanding is that CHP closed down the segment from CA 25 to Lewis Creek Road for road testing for the feature.  I'll link up the video when the 2017 competition comes up but I thought it was cool to see such a cool and underrated driving road get covered in a name magazine like that.  The section of CA 198 I'm talking about would be the one below on the right dropping down to CA 25 on the San Andreas Fault:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2017, 01:03:08 PM
Not to bring up a dead topic but I was reading my October edition of Motortrend this morning and noticed the 2017 Best Driver's Car feature was partially conducted on CA 198 between US 101 and I-5.  Basically my understanding is that CHP closed down the segment from CA 25 to Lewis Creek Road for road testing for the feature.  I'll link up the video when the 2017 competition comes up but I thought it was cool to see such a cool and underrated driving road get covered in a name magazine like that.  The section of CA 198 I'm talking about would be the one below on the right dropping down to CA 25 on the San Andreas Fault:

It seems like quite a significant detour for traffic that wants to connect from 101 to I-5 in the central part of the state.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on October 01, 2017, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2017, 01:03:08 PM

It seems like quite a significant detour for traffic that wants to connect from 101 to I-5 in the central part of the state.

It depends on where you are coming from.  Northbound traffic on I-5 can always drop off on Jayne Avenue and take it west to CA 198 in Coalinga.  Really I've found 198 to be an easier route to take than 46 and 152 due to the lack of traffic on top of the fast track nature of the highway.  Despite all those curves 198 there isn't many places where a skilled driver couldn't hold the 55 MPH speed limit.  Really the one-two combo of 198 and 25 is one of my favorites if I happen to be heading to the Bay Area for some reason.

With that said I also think 58 is a pretty good route also between I-5 and US 101 for much of the same reasons as 198.  For some reason 58 has a reputation as a difficult road when it's actually a far gentler drive than 198 is. 

kkt

But now that it's been in Motortrend, you may get 198 taken over by thundering hordes of drivers with new sports cars wanting to find out how well they corner.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on October 03, 2017, 05:09:19 PM
But now that it's been in Motortrend, you may get 198 taken over by thundering hordes of drivers with new sports cars wanting to find out how well they corner.

Perhaps, but it's so remote it won't draw that many people unlike something like 2 on Angeles Crest.  I'm looking taking the Challenger out that way as soon as Pfeiffer Canyon is reopen on 1.  I figure a nice loop of 198, the Nacimineto Road, 1, and 25 is way over due. 

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 03, 2017, 05:42:49 PM

Perhaps, but it's so remote it won't draw that many people unlike something like 2 on Angeles Crest. 

Even Mullholland Drive can serve that purpose, and the way people drive on it, I think it does.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on October 15, 2017, 07:42:17 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 03, 2017, 05:42:49 PM

Perhaps, but it's so remote it won't draw that many people unlike something like 2 on Angeles Crest. 

Even Mullholland Drive can serve that purpose, and the way people drive on it, I think it does.

It pretty much does already, especially on weekends.  Really both 2 and Mullholland are best on the week days when the Tuner and sports bike crowd is at work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.