News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Not a lot of classics today, although Jets-Titans was pretty wild. Nice to see the Jets look somewhat competent and get a win.
Kind of funny that both the Giants and Jets pulled out overtime victories against tough opponents after everyone left NY(C) football for dead with both teams at 0-3.

The only real NY team is up to +90 in point differential through four weeks (+97 through three weeks!!), but it's hard to know for sure what to make of them since no game has been truly competitive in the second half since Week 1. One thing is for sure, the defense is closer to 2019 form than 2020, which is a promising sign. And at least the Chiefs handled the Eagles today, so the Bills will be underdogs next week. Going into Arrowhead as favorites with the Chiefs on a 3-game losing streak would have been disastrous. This sets up much better narrative-wise and for their chances of winning.

Also, not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I find it amusing that Mitch Trubisky is the 2nd-best QB in the AFC East:-P

wanderer2575

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
0 and 16 again?  Any takers?
I don't think the Fords even care.  Can they sell the Lions and be done with it?

Why should they care and why should they sell?  The money is rolling in.  Ford Field is full for every home game (maybe not sellouts but at least 85% to 90%), nobody is staying away from other stadiums when they're the opponent there, and the merchandise sells.  William Clay Ford said outright the reason he bought the team was for investment purposes.  The question I have is why so many people complaining about the product keep paying for it.  Anyone can have an off-day, but this has been going on for decades.  If I go to a restaurant only a few times and it's a bad experience each time, I stop going there.

I really don't get the idea that people are "making a statement" by booing the owners at the Calvin Johnson event last week or putting paper bags over their heads in the stands.  Nyuk, nyuk, that's so clever.  You paid $50+ per ticket plus $30 for parking plus you know you had at least a couple $12 brewskis, and then you think you'll tell them off by wearing a paper bag.  They're not even looking at you; they're busy depositing your money in their bank account. 

CoreySamson

Did today's performance cement the Texans as the worst team in the NFL?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jmacswimmer

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 02, 2021, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: ET21 on October 02, 2021, 05:51:24 PM
I'll be at the Bears game tomorrow, expectations set very low and cannot wait to hear all the boos for Nagy

My son just said he wants the Bears to lose as many games as possible this season so Matt Nagy could get fired. I had that attitude with Notre Dame in 2016, they went 4-8 and then didn't fire Brian Kelly and he's still around, so I can't get myself on that train again.

Just like last season: Nagy hands off playcalling to Lazor, suddenly the offense commits to Montgomery (hope he's okay) and the play-action opens up - those were some beautiful deep balls to both ARob & Mooney.

Which leads me to my own internal conundrum regarding Nagy: I might be okay with him sticking around if he can set his ego aside, leave the playcalling to his OC, and embrace simply being the HC. But can we trust him to do that, or will he try to snatch the playsheet back as soon as Lazor gets the offense into a rhythm? You know, as he's already done once coming off last season?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on October 03, 2021, 07:00:44 PM
Not a lot of classics today, although Jets-Titans was pretty wild. Nice to see the Jets look somewhat competent and get a win.
Kind of funny that both the Giants and Jets pulled out overtime victories against tough opponents after everyone left NY(C) football for dead with both teams at 0-3.

The only real NY team is up to +90 in point differential through four weeks (+97 through three weeks!!), but it's hard to know for sure what to make of them since no game has been truly competitive in the second half since Week 1. One thing is for sure, the defense is closer to 2019 form than 2020, which is a promising sign. And at least the Chiefs handled the Eagles today, so the Bills will be underdogs next week. Going into Arrowhead as favorites with the Chiefs on a 3-game losing streak would have been disastrous. This sets up much better narrative-wise and for their chances of winning.

Also, not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I find it amusing that Mitch Trubisky is the 2nd-best QB in the AFC East:-P
I was at Jets Titans and after a revolting Jets first quarter that was a hell of an entertaining game right down to the last second.

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 03, 2021, 07:04:03 PM

FiveThirtyEight's prediction model actually thinks the Texans are better after Week 4. They got a bump of 18 Elo points despite the 40-0 loss. Maybe they get credit on defense for holding the Bills to field goals on four of their drives.

In fairness, it could have been 56-0 with better red zone execution by the Bills, so you do have to give the Texans defense some credit for that, and their offense performed about as well as expected with a rookie QB in his first road start against a good if not great defense.

Brandon

No.  That honor belongs to a team that made it three times to the goal line and three times turned the ball over to the crappy Bears at it.  That would be the 0 and now 4 Lions.  They managed, yet again, to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

webny99

Quote from: Alps on October 03, 2021, 07:22:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 03, 2021, 07:00:44 PM
I was at Jets Titans and after a revolting Jets first quarter that was a hell of an entertaining game right down to the last second.

I think you've got something with Zach Wilson. I loved how he waved Corey Davis deep and then placed it perfectly for the TD.

plain

Giants got the W today because we finally figured out how to catch the damn ball
Newark born, Richmond bred

thspfc

Hard to say if the Texans are worse than the Jaguars. With Tyrod Taylor, probably not. Without him, they definitely are worse.

As was mentioned the Bills have a +90 point differential - yet the Packers, who are also 3-1, have a -5. And it's not like the Packers have been winning on last second field goals (well, sometimes). Their wins are by an average of 10 points, and they're 3-1, yet that Saints game wrecked their PD. Thankfully for them, point differential isn't a significant stat in the NFL and is not used in tiebreakers (though I think it should be, maybe as the third tiebreaker after head to head and division/conference record).

Zeke is back. Carolina's defense caved the moment they had to face a team that actually has an offense - their first three opponents are 29th, 28th, and 30th in total offense respectively. Sam Darnold looked more like the Jets version of himself for the first three quarters, until the Panthers offense found some traction.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on October 03, 2021, 07:23:19 PM

FiveThirtyEight's prediction model actually thinks the Texans are better after Week 4. They got a bump of 18 Elo points despite the 40-0 loss. Maybe they get credit on defense for holding the Bills to field goals on four of their drives.

In fairness, it could have been 56-0 with better red zone execution by the Bills, so you do have to give the Texans defense some credit for that, and their offense performed about as well as expected with a rookie QB in his first road start against a good if not great defense.

Even if those earlier FGs went for TDs, most NFL teams let off the throttle if it's a blood-bath, so a score of 50+ to 0 will rarely happen.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2021, 12:45:54 PM
Predictions for Sunday

Titans 37, Jets 14
Lions 29, Bears 14
Dolphins 24, Colts 16
Browns 31, Vikings 17
Falcons 33, Washington 25
Bills 48, Texans 7
Saints 23, Giants 20
Chiefs 42, Eagles 34
Cowboys 34, Panthers 17
Seahawks 28, 49ers 14
Rams 41, Cardinals 20
Packers 26, Steelers 10
Broncos 14, Ravens 12
Buccaneers 30, Patriots 7
A few solid predictions, and a lot of trash. Chiefs/Eagles was close, and I don't think 42-30 is a particularly easy score to predict. Seahawks/49ers was a successful extra point and a late 49ers touchdown away. Packers/Steelers and Bills/Texans were decent.

On the other hand, you have, . . . the others . . .

Roadgeekteen

NOO Folk :(. Should have gone for it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on October 03, 2021, 09:50:11 PM
As was mentioned the Bills have a +90 point differential - yet the Packers, who are also 3-1, have a -5. And it's not like the Packers have been winning on last second field goals (well, sometimes). Their wins are by an average of 10 points, and they're 3-1, yet that Saints game wrecked their PD. Thankfully for them, point differential isn't a significant stat in the NFL and is not used in tiebreakers (though I think it should be, maybe as the third tiebreaker after head to head and division/conference record).
No, it should not be. PD as a stat would keep teams on the throttle long after a game is decided. There is sportsmanship now and the opportunity to bring in other players in a blowout. That's important to the game.

jgb191

Since the Texans were never expected to even contend for a playoff spot this year, it only makes sense to go for a high pick in next year's draft.  In the meantime (with Tyrod hurt and Deshaun refusing to play), all we can do is through the motions with our 3rd-string QB in Mills.  Let's get a high pick to rebuild on and go from there.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

US 89

I watched the end of the 4th quarter and overtime of that game after whatever was on that channel first ended. I was disappointed only because I was rooting for a tie.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US 89 on October 04, 2021, 01:01:46 AM

I watched the end of the 4th quarter and overtime of that game after whatever was on that channel first ended. I was disappointed only because I was rooting for a tie.

Me too. I thought the Jets going 0-16-1 would be amazing.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

snowc

My Panthers lost, but that doesn't mean I stop caring! :ded: :pan:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on October 04, 2021, 12:28:57 AM
No, it should not be. PD as a stat would keep teams on the throttle long after a game is decided. There is sportsmanship now and the opportunity to bring in other players in a blowout. That's important to the game.

Sportsmanship is a thing in the NFL and football in general nowadays?

webny99

Quote from: snowc on October 04, 2021, 07:34:48 AM
My Panthers lost, but that doesn't mean I stop caring!

Looks like that one is making its rounds...

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on October 04, 2021, 12:28:57 AM
I think it would be a better tiebreaker than the current third tiebreaker, games against common opponents. That one seems too heavily affected by chance, or how one team matches up tactically against another that might or might not be better than them.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2021, 12:24:48 AM
NOO Folk :(. Should have gone for it.

I am with you on this one. Kicking the FG was kind of a lose-lose.

I also thought a final score of 20-19 would have been fitting since 2019 was Brady's last year with the Pats.

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 04, 2021, 06:56:38 AM
Quote from: US 89 on October 04, 2021, 01:01:46 AM

Me too. I thought the Jets going 0-16-1 would be amazing.
Jets needed that first win to jumpstart the team. Getting over the 0-fer hump is a huge morale boost. A tie just wouldn't have done it.

webny99

Is it just me, or does it seem like the NFL has been even more unpredictable than usual this season?

The Cardinals are the only undefeated team and the Jags and Lions are the only winless teams after four weeks. Contrast that to last year, when there were five* undefeated teams and four winless teams.

And even then, Cardinals should be 3-1 if not for a chip shot FG miss by the Vikings, the Lions should be 1-3 if not for the longest FG in NFL history, and the Jags... well, they came really close against the Bengals, at least.

The playoff bubble also seems bigger than usual. There's still only about 5 teams that I am very confident will not make the playoffs (including the Pittsburgh Steelers... who saw that coming?), whereas there would usually be more like 10 or 12 at this point in the season.

*Technically six teams, as the 3-0 Titans and 3-0 Steelers took an early bye because of a Covid outbreak. But they played each other in Week 5 and only the Steelers remained undefeated through four games.

Roadgeekteen

What is going on with Urban Meyer
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.