Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 11, 2021, 09:03:47 PM
Gruden resigning.  Good.

Chris

Good riddance to awful rubbish. Now Mike Mayoch and Raiders brass can go find a coach worthy enough to work with Derick Carr. Just make sure he doesn't land another Monday Night Football gig. I kind of figured that 10 years for however many dollars just didn't fit the results. That's what one email can do to wreck a guy's tenure. And Gruden's email did just that.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

SectorZ

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 12, 2021, 05:47:50 PM
Just make sure he doesn't land another Monday Night Football gig.

I am pretty sure he obliterated his chance of any public-facing gig regarding football ever again.

webny99

Not sure if anyone else here follows/listens to the Around the NFL podcast, but before the season Marc Sessler predicted that a coach would resign this season, and that a top story in the league would involve an NFL cheerleader. Both things just happened in a span of 24 hours :wow:

https://www.gogetmylunch.org/2021offseason

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on October 12, 2021, 09:34:49 PM
Not sure if anyone else here follows/listens to the Around the NFL podcast, but before the season Marc Sessler predicted that a coach would resign this season, and that a top story in the league would involve an NFL cheerleader. Both things just happened in a span of 24 hours :wow:

https://www.gogetmylunch.org/2021offseason

Wait, what was the cheerleader story? I missed that, or was it part of Gruden's deal?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 12, 2021, 10:25:03 PM
Wait, what was the cheerleader story? I missed that, or was it part of Gruden's deal?

Yes, it is/was one of the more disturbing parts of the Gruden resignation, involving some pictures exchanged between Gruden and Bruce Allen... see here.

thspfc

Dolphins 35, Jaguars 19
Vikings 27, Panthers 24
Chargers 28, Ravens 21
Rams 33, Giants 20
Colts 38, Texans 26
Chiefs 37, Washington 32
Packers 23, Bears 14
Lions 34, Bengals 27
Cardinals 35, Browns 23
Cowboys 26, Patriots 20
Raiders 19, Broncos 14
Seahawks 21, Steelers 13
Bills 45, Titans 21

The Lions are going to catch the Bengals sleeping after Cincy's predictable yet also incomprehensible loss to the Packers last week. The Seahawks will be motivated and the rest of the team will step up for the time that Wilson is injured.

kevinb1994

Finally! Jags win in London.

1995hoo

The Jacksonville Dolphins pass the "Football Team" designation to Miami.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2021, 12:54:08 PM
The Jacksonville Dolphins pass the "Football Team" designation to Miami.
Not to be confused with the actual Dolphins at the university of the same name.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on October 14, 2021, 12:32:04 PM
Dolphins 35, Jaguars 19
Vikings 27, Panthers 24
Chargers 28, Ravens 21
Rams 33, Giants 20
Colts 38, Texans 26
Chiefs 37, Washington 32
Packers 23, Bears 14
Lions 34, Bengals 27
Cardinals 35, Browns 23
Cowboys 26, Patriots 20
Raiders 19, Broncos 14
Seahawks 21, Steelers 13
Bills 45, Titans 21

The Lions are going to catch the Bengals sleeping after Cincy's predictable yet also incomprehensible loss to the Packers last week. The Seahawks will be motivated and the rest of the team will step up for the time that Wilson is injured.
That Bengals prediction didn't age well.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Wow, a lot of blowouts today. In fact Dolphins-Jags and Vikings-Panthers were the only close games.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on October 17, 2021, 06:41:50 PM
Wow, a lot of blowouts today. In fact Dolphins-Jags and Vikings-Panthers were the only close games.
Patriots Cowboys looking to be a nailbiter
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 17, 2021, 06:29:37 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 14, 2021, 12:32:04 PM
Dolphins 35, Jaguars 19
Vikings 27, Panthers 24
Chargers 28, Ravens 21
Rams 33, Giants 20
Colts 38, Texans 26
Chiefs 37, Washington 32
Packers 23, Bears 14
Lions 34, Bengals 27
Cardinals 35, Browns 23
Cowboys 26, Patriots 20
Raiders 19, Broncos 14
Seahawks 21, Steelers 13
Bills 45, Titans 21

That Bengals prediction didn't age well.
No it did not.

On the other hand, I think I'm becoming something of a Bears genius, with two nearly spot-on predictions of theirs, and I picked them to win the Raiders game which they were underdogs in.

Cowboys/Patriots has been quite the fourth quarter. Trevon Diggs is so odd, he leads the league in interceptions by far, yet he gives up a lot of yards and big plays.

NWI_Irish96

Mac Jones threw touchdown passes to both teams on consecutive plays.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Wow, well Cowboys-Pats was a bit of a saving grace for this day in the NFL!

The Browns loss to the Cardinals sets up a hugely important TNF game against the Broncos in which the loser will have a losing record... Yikes. Tough spot for both teams, but the Browns had much higher preseason expectations, so they better win this one or they're in rough shape - not only in the division, with the Ravens and Bengals both ahead of them now, but also in the wild card race, since that would put them behind the entire AFC West, with head to head losses to three AFC West teams.

webny99

My feelings about the NFC North wrapped up into one way-too-early prediction: the Bears are going to beat the Packers in Lambeau in Week 14 (Dec 12th).

US 89

And Geno Smith single-handedly loses the game for Seattle. Once a Jet, always a Jet.

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on October 18, 2021, 12:32:15 AM
And Geno Smith single-handedly loses the game for Seattle. Once a Jet, always a Jet.
He was the worst decision of any of the QBs the Jets have ruined picked.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2021, 12:44:37 AM
They picked Darnold ahead of Josh Allen and Lamar. At least in Geno's draft there were no other real options.

I know that Darnold seemed like the right decision at the time; doesn't change the fact that he's not even an NFL caliber starting QB while Allen and Lamar will win/have won MVPs.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 18, 2021, 10:27:32 AM
They picked Darnold ahead of Josh Allen and Lamar. At least in Geno's draft there were no other real options.

I know that Darnold seemed like the right decision at the time; doesn't change the fact that he's not even an NFL caliber starting QB while Allen and Lamar will win/have won MVPs.

On the other hand, at least they selected Darnold ahead of Josh Rosen!  :-D

Alps

Look at the teams that developed them. Switch the teams that drafted Josh Allen and Sam Darnold and I bet you'd have the exact same post with the names switched.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2021, 06:15:16 PM

Look at the teams that developed them. Switch the teams that drafted Josh Allen and Sam Darnold and I bet you'd have the exact same post with the names switched.
Ah yes, the Bills. The pinnacle of NFL excellence, to the tune of one playoff berth from 2000 to 2018.

Last time I checked, Darnold isn't exactly flourishing for the Panthers either, who have a track record of being more competent than both the Bills and Jets.

webny99

For the second straight year, the Bills head into their bye on a terrible, gut punch loss.

It really was almost worse than the Hail Murray, and yet I can't even be that mad about it because it was a great game and I respect the heck out of the decision to go for it on 4th & inches.

And the Bills have yet to win a close game. Four blowout wins and two close losses.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on October 18, 2021, 11:40:51 PM
I respect the heck out of the decision to go for it on 4th & inches.

I don't. That was just a dumb play call as far as I'm concerned. Going for it there is probably what, a 50% play? Kicking a FG from there gets you three points probably 90% of the time, and then it's extremely unlikely the Titans score again before overtime, which is more or less a toss-up. Plus even if you go for it on that 4th down and get it, you still only have 20 seconds and one timeout, and there's a decent chance you end up kicking the FG anyway to end the half.

Quote from: thspfc on October 18, 2021, 07:15:18 PM
Last time I checked, Darnold isn't exactly flourishing for the Panthers either, who have a track record of being more competent than both the Bills and Jets.

Because the Jets got to him first. As I said earlier, once a Jet, always a Jet.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on October 19, 2021, 12:45:06 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 18, 2021, 11:40:51 PM
I respect the heck out of the decision to go for it on 4th & inches.

I don't. That was just a dumb play call as far as I'm concerned. Going for it there is probably what, a 50% play? Kicking a FG from there gets you three points probably 90% of the time, and then it's extremely unlikely the Titans score again before overtime, which is more or less a toss-up. Plus even if you go for it on that 4th down and get it, you still only have 20 seconds and one timeout, and there's a decent chance you end up kicking the FG anyway to end the half.

The analytics numbers I saw call it a 75% chance of success if they went for it.  Let's use a more conservative number and say 60% for argument's sake.  Tennessee would have then had a 1% chance of returning the kickoff or a hail Mary, so then going for it has a 59% chance of winning, or 41% chance of losing.

If they kick the field goal, let's use your number and say it has a 90% success rate.  There's a 10% chance of losing. 

You telling me that there's less than a 31% chance of losing if it goes to overtime? (41% chance from going for it minus 10% chance of missing FG)

At best, the Bills would have been 55/45 in OT, so by kicking a FG, you'd be giving up a 9.5% edge by the most conservative estimation. (59% chance of winning in regulation or 90% x 55% = 49.5% chance of winning in overtime)

Going for it was 100% the right call.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.