News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Great take from Kyle Brandt on the whole "free OBJ" thing. It's honestly the Browns that have been freed IMO.

https://twitter.com/gmfb/status/1458419180433149960

JayhawkCO

Couldn't agree with this more.  He was out there in my fantasy league and I didn't bother picking him up.  I know he's going to go to the Saints, Packers, or Chiefs, two of which are high powered offenses.  I don't care.  He's underperformed since his 2nd year where he thought he was hot shit.  I also have friends who have personal run-ins with him and said he's an absolute ass, which makes sense since he thinks he's the best WR ever but hasn't performed above replacement level for several years now.

CHris

NWI_Irish96

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1458410605149368321

This seems unbelieveable, until you remember that nearly all of the owners of NFL teams are old, rich, white men
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 10, 2021, 10:20:35 AM
I know he's going to go to the Saints, Packers, or Chiefs ...

Knowing there's a few Packers fans/followers here, I'm curious what their sentiment is on this.

It just seems completely bizarre that the Browns would release OBJ essentially because he has such a huge ego, wants more targets, and can't get along with Mayfield, and then the Packers would sign him and expect things to go smoothly with the one quarterback that has a bigger ego than Baker Mayfield!? Something about the whole thing just doesn't add up.

The Saints make more sense from the perspective of OBJ going somewhere where he would be the most famous star/biggest name on the team, but for that very reason (not having a star QB) I'm not sure they're a true Super Bowl contender either.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on November 10, 2021, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 10, 2021, 10:20:35 AM
I know he's going to go to the Saints, Packers, or Chiefs ...

Knowing there's a few Packers fans/followers here, I'm curious what their sentiment is on this.

It just seems completely bizarre that the Browns would release OBJ essentially because he has such a huge ego, wants more targets, and can't get along with Mayfield, and then the Packers would sign him and expect things to go smoothly with the one quarterback that has a bigger ego than Baker Mayfield!? Something about the whole thing just doesn't add up.

The Saints make more sense from the perspective of OBJ going somewhere where he would be the most famous star/biggest name on the team, but for that very reason (not having a star QB) I'm not sure they're a true Super Bowl contender either.

And the Saints have less cap space, so couldn't may him as much.  That said, he went to LSU, so maybe Louisiana is calling him home.

Chris

thspfc

Seattle seems like a good fit to me, but I don't think OBJ wants that because of Metcalf and Lockett getting a lot of targets, and Pete Carroll wanting to run the ball more than he probably should.

Tennessee isn't being talked about much, but I think that could work.

OBJ would put up huge stats in Atlanta, but they're not contenders.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 10, 2021, 03:27:23 PM
OBJ would put up huge stats in Atlanta, but they're not contenders.

They're actually in playoff position now after literally every result went their way in Week 9.

That doesn't mean they're a Super Bowl contender though, and like the Saints, they have very little cap space.

Big John

(Packer homer) No thanks, a headcase.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Big John on November 10, 2021, 06:09:12 PM

More of a headcase than a conspiracy-theorist who lied about getting vaccinated?

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 10, 2021, 06:10:41 PM
Quote from: Big John on November 10, 2021, 06:09:12 PM

More of a headcase than a conspiracy-theorist who lied about getting vaccinated?
Let's try to keep this less political. Keep it as liar only.

snowc

Cam's back with the Panthers! FINALLY! :clap: :clap:

jlam

Quote from: snowc on November 11, 2021, 12:45:51 PM
I'd give it a year.

plain

Quote from: snowc on November 11, 2021, 12:45:51 PM

To celebrate this, he will be dressed as The Rock circa 1999 during his next press conference.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Big John

OBJ signs with the Rams.

thspfc

Titans 26, Saints 13
Bills 38, Jets 17
Steelers 27, Lions 14
Colts 42, Jaguars 24
Buccaneers 28, Washington 13
Browns 19, Patriots 14
Falcons 37, Cowboys 21
Cardinals 33, Panthers 8
Chargers 34, Vikings 30
Packers 24, Seahawks 16
Broncos 25, Eagles 22
Chiefs 26, Raiders 17
Rams 37, 49ers 10

I'm counting on the Bills to rebound from that ugly loss, which means that they're probably going to lay another egg.

Here's my thought process on the Falcons this season:

Week 1 predictions: they're going to blow out the Eagles because the Eagles stink
Week 1: they got blown out by the Eagles
Week 3 predictions: they're losing to the Giants
Week 3: they beat the Giants
Week 4 predictions: that was a nice comeback last week, they should be able to beat Washington
Week 4: they lost to Washington
Week 5 predictions: they're probably better than the Jets, but this feels like a game that they would lose for no reason
Week 5: they beat the Jets
Week 7 predictions: they have a better record than the Dolphins, but I think the Dolphins are the better team with Tua back
Week 7: they beat the Dolphins
Week 8 predictions: they've strung together a couple wins, surely they can beat the slumping Panthers
Week 8: they lost to the Panthers
Week 9: that was ugly last week, no way they beat the Saints
Week 9: they beat the Saints

I'm 1-7 picking them, only successful pick was week 2 against the Buccaneers (who, interestingly, is the only team that I'm perfect on at 6-0).

So anyways, I'm picking the Falcons to beat the Cowboys by a wide margin because that is the potential outcome that makes the least sense to me.

After Monday night, Kyle Shanahan will officially be on the hot seat.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Big John on November 11, 2021, 05:19:16 PM
OBJ signs with the Rams.

A lil of a surprise as the Saints, Packers, and Chiefs were the main teams in the discussion before.......but Packers offered veterans minimum, Rams offered with a chance for Odell to make 4.5 million.  Not surprised.

So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Big John

^^ The Packers are known for being cheap.

I-39

Quote from: Big John on November 12, 2021, 04:34:28 PM

Yep, and they've massively underachieved in the last 25 years as a result. Imagine if they had actually invested in putting consistently good teams around Rodgers and Favre. They'd have a bigger dynasty than the Patriots.

thspfc

Quote from: I-39 on November 12, 2021, 05:29:14 PM

Yep, and they've massively underachieved in the last 25 years as a result. Imagine if they had actually invested in putting consistently good teams around Rodgers and Favre. They'd have a bigger dynasty than the Patriots.
What a prisoner of the moment take. No chance they would have had a Patriots-level dynasty.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on November 12, 2021, 06:49:43 PM
Quote from: I-39 on November 12, 2021, 05:29:14 PM

What a prisoner of the moment take. No chance they would have had a Patriots-level dynasty.
Yeah because they don't hire cheaters

triplemultiplex

The Packers haven't been cheap, they just recognize that a great quarterback can make an average receiver look amazing.  Name one receiver that left the Packers in the last 30 years to be hot shit somewhere else with a middling quarterback.
I think the best one can do is Greg Jennings going to Minnesota.  And compared to his time in Green Bay, he was underwhelming in a purple jersey.

Now there is a limit to this philosophy of course.  There were years where the Pack was starved for talent at wide receiver because the new guys were still developing.  But I think part of the reason Green Bay has been able to remain relevant for so long is their willingness to nurture the talent they draft rather than blow their wad on established offensive skill player free agents.  Especially when it comes to wide receiver where there are dudes like OBJ that are total head cases.  Much easier to groom rookie wide outs than wrangle the ego of an established guy.  And as a bonus, you have way more salary cap to pay offensive linemen and D-backs and MVP quarterbacks; the guys that actually win you games.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

RIP Sam Huff. Hall of Fame linebacker for the Redskins and Giants and longtime Redskins radio commentator died today at age 87.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Cowboys up 36-3 at halftime. Probably the best half that any team has played all season. And I give up on the Falcons. Not even going to pick their games anymore.

snowc

Buffalo weasels out of YET another blowout! 45-16!  :pan:

NWI_Irish96

Just had our first tie of the season, with neither Pittsburgh nor Detroit able to score in miserable weather in overtime.

With Pittsburgh now 5-3-1, my dream of an 8-8-1 team is very much alive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.