News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 11:58:57 AM
Quote from: Henry on March 02, 2022, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Henry on March 02, 2022, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on March 02, 2022, 10:28:35 AM
The Spurs should sell out that game VERY QUICKLY, The Packers are one of the most popular NFL teams in the UK and Ireland.

Mike

???

I didn't know San Antonio had an NFL team.

They play at the home of Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur, known as Spurs.
I know, that was purely in jest.

Sorry, no sarcasm smiley on here. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are unaware.
Check my new modified post above...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on March 02, 2022, 05:20:24 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 10:38:56 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 28, 2022, 01:04:46 PM
Saints don't play as many homes games anyways because their city is frequently underwater.

You really, really hate the city of New Orleans, don't you?
Yes.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you been there?

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 03, 2022, 12:11:12 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 02, 2022, 05:20:24 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 02, 2022, 10:38:56 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 28, 2022, 01:04:46 PM
Saints don't play as many homes games anyways because their city is frequently underwater.

You really, really hate the city of New Orleans, don't you?
Yes.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you been there?
None.

I hate North Korea too. Never been there.

NOLA obviously isn't near as bad as North Korea. But the point is, you can believe that a place is bad without going there.

jgb191

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 28, 2022, 03:40:42 PM
Ugh, still with these foreign games, eh?  This just in: Europe doesn't give a shit about American Football.  If they did, they'd have their own leagues and shit.  Give it up, Goddell.

I agree with not going to Europe, it is way too much travel for any team; heck, a single roundtrip cross country flight from coast to coast is very tiring.  And with the passport/visa and Covid situation, it just makes the Europe travel even worse.  I have no problem with international, but just keep it within North America.  Texans at Cowboys this fall would certainly be a big draw in Mexico.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

thspfc

Cowboys are likely to release Amari Cooper. Good move IMO. They've got too many large contracts to keep paying big money to their #2 WR. Plus, they'll have to pay CeeDee, Parsons, and Diggs in a couple years.

We saw them score 33 points against the Raiders, a playoff team, without both CeeDee and Amari. Dak was 32/47 for 375 yds and 2 TDs in that game. And the team melted down by committing 14 penalties, including a few huge PIs, and still only lost in overtime.

webny99

Bills training camp to return to St. John Fisher in Pittsford after two years staying at home. Makes sense too given their large fanbase presence in this area:
https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-agree-to-terms-with-st-john-fisher-college-to-host-training-camp-in-roches

triplemultiplex

I love hypocrisy:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33446869/nfl-suspends-atlanta-falcons-wr-calvin-ridley-least-2022-season-betting-games

Every other commercial and billboard surrounding an NFL game is for some sort of degenerate sports betting thing, yet if a player does it, "OH NOES!!"

This is rank hypocrisy from an entity that thrives because of gambling.  So which is it, NFL?  You gonna keep taking money from these people and keep having a double standard or clean house and punish yourselves the way you have Mr. Ridley?

And don't give me none of that "Oh the NFL doesn't get money directly from gambling" bullcrap.  They have their own TV station that sells ads to gambling companies.  They sell the rights to broadcast their games to other networks who in turn sell advertising to gambling companies effectively making them money launderers for the NFL to profit further from gambling.

Am I wrong in remembering that even NFL players are doing ads for gambling companies?  I swear I've seen that.  How is that kosher?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

I don't see the problem with a player betting on themselves or on something where they're not involved, but betting on anything where they could influence the outcome by not playing optimally should remain prohibited.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 07, 2022, 04:06:56 PM
I love hypocrisy:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33446869/nfl-suspends-atlanta-falcons-wr-calvin-ridley-least-2022-season-betting-games

Every other commercial and billboard surrounding an NFL game is for some sort of degenerate sports betting thing, yet if a player does it, "OH NOES!!"

This is rank hypocrisy from an entity that thrives because of gambling.  So which is it, NFL?  You gonna keep taking money from these people and keep having a double standard or clean house and punish yourselves the way you have Mr. Ridley?

And don't give me none of that "Oh the NFL doesn't get money directly from gambling" bullcrap.  They have their own TV station that sells ads to gambling companies.  They sell the rights to broadcast their games to other networks who in turn sell advertising to gambling companies effectively making them money launderers for the NFL to profit further from gambling.

Am I wrong in remembering that even NFL players are doing ads for gambling companies?  I swear I've seen that.  How is that kosher?
1. Calvin Ridley puts $100k on Calvin Ridley having fewer than 82.5 receiving yards against the Giants.

2. Calvin Ridley intentionally drops passes.

3. Calvin Ridley finishes the game with 53 receiving yards.

4. Calvin Ridley makes a ton of money.

DenverBrian

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 04:09:22 PM
I don't see the problem with a player betting on themselves or on something where they're not involved, but betting on anything where they could influence the outcome by not playing optimally should remain prohibited.
...which would be betting on themselves.

hotdogPi

Quote from: DenverBrian on March 07, 2022, 05:43:23 PM
...which would be betting on themselves.

I meant for themselves or their team to win, where there is no advantage to be gained for playing differently from usual.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

oscar

The other issue, even if the player isn't in the game, is whether the player can take unfair advantage of inside information, that lets the player make a more intelligent bet than non-insiders. That risk might be overstated in this instance, but the mere perception of such unfairness often comes up in securities fraud cases.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Big John

Aaron Rodgers signs a 4-year $200 million contract with the Packers.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Big John on March 08, 2022, 11:46:41 AM

The highest paid player in the league, so now they won't have any money to sign good skill players and he'll be grumpy. But "it's not about the money."

Big John

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 08, 2022, 12:02:32 PM

The highest paid player in the league, so now they won't have any money to sign good skill players and he'll be grumpy. But "it's not about the money."
The contract has a $153M signing bonus so they can delay the salary-cap hit and free up some cap room this year.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 08, 2022, 12:02:32 PM

Chiefs should up Mahomes' contract to $50.1m per year just to give a big middle finger to Rodgers.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jlam

There are rumors that the Seahawks are trading Russ to the Broncos.

thspfc

The Seahawks traded Russell Wilson to the Broncos in exchange for two 1sts, two 2nds, Drew Lock, and a couple of unidentified players. Head-scratcher for the Seahawks IMO. Even more so when you consider that they gave up two 1sts and a 3rd for Jamal Adams. Seattle got only a little more for Russell Wilson than they gave up for a safety. Yikes.

So, to the bottom of the West goes Seattle. I guess they were there already anyways.

The other West, meanwhile is loaded with two likely HOF quarterbacks, one that has a chance at the HOF, and one that'll be in the Hall of Pretty Good.

Denver won the trade.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on March 08, 2022, 02:08:39 PM
The Seahawks traded Russell Wilson to the Broncos in exchange for two 1sts, two 2nds, Drew Lock, and a couple of unidentified players. Head-scratcher for the Seahawks IMO. Even more so when you consider that they gave up two 1sts and a 3rd for Jamal Adams. Seattle got only a little more for Russell Wilson than they gave up for a safety. Yikes.

So, to the bottom of the West goes Seattle. I guess they were there already anyways.

The other West, meanwhile is loaded with two likely HOF quarterbacks, one that has a chance at the HOF, and one that'll be in the Hall of Pretty Good.

Denver won the trade.
Apparently Seattle got Noah Fant, which is nice, but still doesn't make up for losing Wilson.

JayhawkCO

Now Russ can miss Sutton, Jeudy, and Patrick deep instead of Metcalf and Lockett.  ;-)

DenverBrian

Broncos pick up a franchise quarterback with great character. Much better than dealing with AR and his anal cleanses. :D :D :D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DenverBrian on March 08, 2022, 02:33:15 PM
Broncos pick up a franchise quarterback with great character. Much better than dealing with AR and his anal cleanses. :D :D :D

Apparently the anal cleanses are an actual thing with him:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20220301/aaron-rodgers-panchakarma-cleanse

JayhawkCO

Apparently not so fast says Mr. Rodgers.  He didn't sign the contract; he immunized it.

webny99

Quote from: jlam on March 08, 2022, 02:03:23 PM

The Seahawks traded Russell Wilson to the Broncos in exchange for two 1sts, two 2nds, Drew Lock, and a couple of unidentified players.

Wow!!! That came out of the blue - I really thought Russ was going to stay, and it wouldn't have shocked me if he stayed and they won the NFC West next year given the questions around the 49ers and Cardinals.

It's actually kind of an ironic trade... After months of Aaron Rodgers speculation, it ends up being his polar opposite that goes to the Broncos. Meanwhile Russ goes from the second toughest division to the only division that might be tougher, the Seahawks replace the Broncos as the only West team with major QB questions, and of course the Super Bowl that the Seahawks won with Russ was a 43-8 beatdown of none other than... the Denver Broncos.

This obviously makes the Broncos an immediate contender while the Seahawks likely shrink into the background. As for Wilson, Denver is obviously a good situation roster-wise, but I'm not sure you really gain that much by going from a conference that looks historically weak to the most loaded division in a loaded conference. There's going to be months of AFC West hype, but it will be mostly justified IMO, because there has never been a more stacked division at the QB position and it's not even close.

DenverBrian

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2022, 03:31:47 PM
Quote from: jlam on March 08, 2022, 02:03:23 PM

The Seahawks traded Russell Wilson to the Broncos in exchange for two 1sts, two 2nds, Drew Lock, and a couple of unidentified players.

Wow!!! That came out of the blue - I really thought Russ was going to stay, and it wouldn't have shocked me if he stayed and they won the NFC West next year given the questions around the 49ers and Cardinals.

It's actually kind of an ironic trade... After months of Aaron Rodgers speculation, it ends up being his polar opposite that goes to the Broncos. Meanwhile Russ goes from the second toughest division to the only division that might be tougher, the Seahawks replace the Broncos as the only West team with major QB questions, and of course the Super Bowl that the Seahawks won with Russ was a 43-8 beatdown of none other than... the Denver Broncos.

This obviously makes the Broncos an immediate contender while the Seahawks likely shrink into the background. As for Wilson, Denver is obviously a good situation roster-wise, but I'm not sure you really gain that much by going from a conference that looks historically weak to the most loaded division in a loaded conference. There's going to be months of AFC West hype, but it will be mostly justified IMO, because there has never been a more stacked division at the QB position and it's not even close.

Indeed, the Broncos are now 12:1 to win the SB and the Seahawks are 60:1 or worse.

With all teams having quality QBs, quality o-line and receivers will come to the fore. Denver retains a large cap space budget to go after free agents and pick up linemen where they are often picked up: later rounds of the draft.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.