News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Fork both of the New York Jersey teams.

mgk920

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 19, 2023, 08:59:27 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2023, 02:23:31 AM
Quote from: Big John on September 18, 2023, 09:19:00 PM
Nick Chubb suffered an injury so bad that replay would not be shown.

His 2015 injury was described as "grotesque"...from what I saw, this injury could be described similarly.  :-o

Apparently the UK broadcast of the game showed the injury from the angle that ESPN didn't show, and grotesque is almost not strong enough a word to describe it. Chubb's knee and lower leg basically shattered.

Bad compound fractures or knee blowouts are fully recoverable injuries, even though they are gross-out bad to watch.  They'll just be out of action for a while.  A torn Achilles tendon, OTOH (like was suffered by Aaron Rodgers), is far worse in that it may not have any 'yeech! factor' to see as it happens and you may return to the field at some point, you'll never be the same player.

Mike

fhmiii

Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2023, 01:17:27 PM

His 2015 injury was described as "grotesque"...from what I saw, this injury could be described similarly.  :-o

Apparently the UK broadcast of the game showed the injury from the angle that ESPN didn't show, and grotesque is almost not strong enough a word to describe it. Chubb's knee and lower leg basically shattered.

Bad compound fractures or knee blowouts are fully recoverable injuries, even though they are gross-out bad to watch.  They'll just be out of action for a while.  A torn Achilles tendon, OTOH (like was suffered by Aaron Rodgers), is far worse in that it may not have any 'yeech! factor' to see as it happens and you may return to the field at some point, you'll never be the same player.

Mike

There has been a ton of progress in repairing knee injuries since LT handed Joe Theismann his own leg.  That being said, Chubb's previous injury makes this one more difficult to deal with.  I hope he recovers, and not just because he's a fellow Bulldog!

Of course, if he doesn't recover, he can always take a coaching job at his collegiate alma mater.  It looks like they could use a Running Backs coach based on this season so far.

As far as not choosing to not show the replay, MNF has experience with this (and probably a standing order on what not to do).  From Wikipedia:

QuoteWhile initially only the players on the field could see the extent of the damage to Theismann's leg, the reverse-angle instant replay provided a clearer view of what had actually happened: Theismann's lower leg bones were broken midway between his knee and his ankle, such that his leg from his foot to his mid-shin was lying flat against the ground while the upper part of his shin up to his knee was at a 45-degree angle to the lower part of his leg. ABC's decision to screen the reverse-angle instant replay several times despite its palpably graphic content shocked millions of viewers, with some describing it as "the most horrific professional sports injury of all time." As the replays were shown, Gifford repeatedly urged viewers at home to exercise discretion: "If your stomach is weak, just don't watch." The repeated screening of this replay remains to this day one of the most controversial in-game television production decisions in NFL history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Theismann

epzik8

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 19, 2023, 10:10:32 AM

Yep, I hate driving past their stadium on the New Jersey Turnpike in that polluted air.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mgk920

Quote from: epzik8 on September 19, 2023, 03:35:09 PM

Yep, I hate driving past their stadium on the New Jersey Turnpike in that polluted air.

And I think of only one team when I think of  'New York' and "NFL' - The Buffalo Bills.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on September 19, 2023, 03:35:09 PM

It's really not polluted anymore, but if that's all you think of NJ, you are welcome to avoid our state so that those who know the 98% good parts of it have a little more quiet to ourselves.

gonealookin

I saw Moo's note on the 506 Sports Discord and thought it might be worth a mention here, that apparently the Thursday Night Amazon Prime games are available for streaming freely and legally on Twitch.  I wasn't aware of that so I'll have to try that this week.  It looks like the channel would be here (caution, auto start video, mute your sound first):

https://www.twitch.tv/primevideo 

Henry

Quote from: gonealookin on September 20, 2023, 12:10:07 AM
I saw Moo's note on the 506 Sports Discord and thought it might be worth a mention here, that apparently the Thursday Night Amazon Prime games are available for streaming freely and legally on Twitch.  I wasn't aware of that so I'll have to try that this week.  It looks like the channel would be here (caution, auto start video, mute your sound first):

https://www.twitch.tv/primevideo 
And while we're on the subject of TV and the NFL, ABC is expanding its dual coverage of MNF with ESPN due to the ongoing Hollywood strike. For the first time since 2005, all games will be included in the simulcast. I, for one, miss Hank Williams Jr. asking the nation "Are you ready for some football?" That question alone was enough reason to tune in and see the marquee matchups happen under the bright stadium lights, something that the current SNF hasn't been able to replicate. While I have nothing against Carrie Underwood, Mr. Williams remains the gold standard for primetime opening themes.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

I just like the classic MNF instrumental.  That can get me pumped.

The modern stuff with pop stars, or whatever, just reminds me of 30 Rock where Jenna sings a theme song for Tennis Night in America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOXfqXJE2s
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

epzik8

Bryce Young...holy moly...

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: fhmiii on September 19, 2023, 01:30:19 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2023, 01:17:27 PM

Mike

There has been a ton of progress in repairing knee injuries since LT handed Joe Theismann his own leg.  That being said, Chubb's previous injury makes this one more difficult to deal with.  I hope he recovers, and not just because he's a fellow Bulldog!

Of course, if he doesn't recover, he can always take a coaching job at his collegiate alma mater.  It looks like they could use a Running Backs coach based on this season so far.

As far as not choosing to not show the replay, MNF has experience with this (and probably a standing order on what not to do).  From Wikipedia:

QuoteWhile initially only the players on the field could see the extent of the damage to Theismann's leg, the reverse-angle instant replay provided a clearer view of what had actually happened: Theismann's lower leg bones were broken midway between his knee and his ankle, such that his leg from his foot to his mid-shin was lying flat against the ground while the upper part of his shin up to his knee was at a 45-degree angle to the lower part of his leg. ABC's decision to screen the reverse-angle instant replay several times despite its palpably graphic content shocked millions of viewers, with some describing it as "the most horrific professional sports injury of all time." As the replays were shown, Gifford repeatedly urged viewers at home to exercise discretion: "If your stomach is weak, just don't watch." The repeated screening of this replay remains to this day one of the most controversial in-game television production decisions in NFL history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Theismann

I think the more immediate reason for that decision was Damar Hamlin from last season - even after it was apparent that something serious had happened, multiple replays were shown of the hit that caused his cardiac arrest.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

thspfc

49ers
Lions
Vikings
Saints
Jaguars
Dolphins
Browns
Bills
Ravens
Jets
Seahawks
Chiefs
Cowboys
Raiders
Eagles
Bengals

Chargers/Vikings will be the first NFL game I've gone to since 2013. With how those two teams have started the season, and how they are in general, I expect nothing less than absolute chaos.

jlam

10-6 last week. Much better than week 1.

Giants 14 @ 49ers 26

Titans 19 @ Browns 16

Falcons 26 @ Lions 33

Saints 21 @ Packers 17

Broncos 23 @ Dolphins 27

Chargers 34 @ Vikings 31

Patriots 21 @ Jets 13

Bills 24 @ Commanders 23

Texans 19 @ Jaguars 24

Colts 22 @ Ravens 29

Panthers 20 @ Seahawks 28

Bears 21 @ Chiefs 31

Cowboys 28 @ Cardinals 12

Steelers 27 @ Raiders 24

Eagles 26 @ Buccaneers 18

Rams 21 @ Bengals 20

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 21, 2023, 12:54:50 PM
Chargers/Vikings will be the first NFL game I've gone to since 2013. With how those two teams have started the season, and how they are in general, I expect nothing less than absolute chaos.

Indeed. It is a classic "cornered animal game" in Around the NFL parlance as both teams will be desperate for their first W of the season. All the more so for the Chargers given their expectations this season. Factor in two franchises known for choking in big moments, and it's going to be a rough one for whoever loses. 

thspfc

thspfc

Outside of the second half last week the Giants have been outscored 90-12. They have been outgained 962-397. Those are historically awful numbers for the NFL. It's what you would expect from an FCS team playing Power 5 opponents. At what point do we begin to question whether Daboll is the franchise-saving genius most thought he was?

Some chalked up the comeback at Arizona to Daboll's halftime rant and/or adjustments. I know this is completely anecdotal, but from the competitive sports experience I have (more than the vast majority of people but nothing compared to NFL players), when you're losing to a team you believe to be vastly inferior, there is nothing a coach could ever say that would make a difference. It's one of the worst feelings in sports and the urgency has to come from within. Credit where credit is due for coming back, but clearly no momentum whatsoever was carried through to tonight's game. It was 17-12 at one point but that game was never in question.

I needed a "value"  fork that nobody else was going to pick, and I'm pretty confident I got it right with the Giants.

kurumi

There's a trick to beating the 49ers, if you care to pursue it: score 31 points. The Niners have won their first 3 games 30-7, 30-23, and 30-12.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 22, 2023, 01:06:06 AM
Outside of the second half last week the Giants have been outscored 90-12. They have been outgained 962-397. Those are historically awful numbers for the NFL. It's what you would expect from an FCS team playing Power 5 opponents. At what point do we begin to question whether Daboll is the franchise-saving genius most thought he was?

There are strong parallels to the 2018 Bills. The first half of that season was abjectly terrible, even for a franchise coming off a long playoff drought (remember Nathan Peterman?). They were lucky to make the playoffs the year prior, and coaching was a big reason why they got there. But they're still not a very talented team.

I don't expect them the Giants to make the playoffs this year either, but Schoen and Daboll were hired to take on a known rebuild, so it's not playoffs or bust by any means, especially with the goodwill from overachieving last season. A year from now is the earliest I would expect true heat on them to make the playoffs or else.

I needed a "value"  fork that nobody else was going to pick, and I'm pretty confident I got it right with the Giants.

Good choice.

Quote from: thspfc on September 10, 2023, 08:40:00 PM
webny99
Rams (25)
Cardinals (25)
Colts (25)
Titans (25)
Texans (25)
Bears (25)
Bucs (25)
Panthers (25)
Total: 200

OK, so the Bears were technically not on my final pre-season forks list. But I am forking them now, and don't care if I get 20 points or 25. (20 is fine, but pretend you didn't see this if I'm within 5 points of winning. :))

I am also forking the Raiders, Steelers, Patriots, and Giants. So I'm at 12 teams total.

Bucs and Rams look like terrible choices, but otherwise the list looks OK.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2023, 08:02:30 AM

There are strong parallels to the 2018 Bills. The first half of that season was abjectly terrible, even for a franchise coming off a long playoff drought (remember Nathan Peterman?). They were lucky to make the playoffs the year prior, and coaching was a big reason why they got there. But they're still not a very talented team.

I don't expect them the Giants to make the playoffs this year either, but Schoen and Daboll were hired to take on a known rebuild, so it's not playoffs or bust by any means, especially with the goodwill from overachieving last season. A year from now is the earliest I would expect true heat on them to make the playoffs or else.
That's a good comparison. I agree that he did enough last year to survive a bad season this year (unless they only win like 3 games, but I think that's unlikely). But if they finish last in the division there will be pressure next year.

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2023, 08:02:30 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 10, 2023, 08:40:00 PM
webny99
Rams (25)
Cardinals (25)
Colts (25)
Titans (25)
Texans (25)
Bears (25)
Bucs (25)
Panthers (25)
Total: 200

OK, so the Bears were technically not on my final pre-season forks list. But I am forking them now, and don't care if I get 20 points or 25. (20 is fine, but pretend you didn't see this if I'm within 5 points of winning. :))

I am also forking the Raiders, Steelers, Patriots, and Giants. So I'm at 12 teams total.

Bucs and Rams look like terrible choices, but otherwise the list looks OK.
Oops. Edited.

thspfc

I didn't think the wild game I just saw could possibly be overshadowed in its own time slot, until an NFL team scored 70 points on another NFL team in the salary cap era.

Huh?

Last time that happened, humans hadn't been to the moon yet. I never fork teams before the week of the points cutoff, but for giving up 70 points I have to fork the Broncos on the spot. Especially for a team that actually had a very strong defense last year, this is stunning. Maybe the most shocking NFL final score I've ever seen. And I didn't have the Broncos winning either.

726 yards of offense is the MOST in the HISTORY of the NFL. Nuts.

As for Chargers/Vikings, chaos indeed delivered. It was a privilege to see both Justin Herbert and Keenan Allen's best game of their respective careers. Allen's 18 catches are tied for 3rd-most all-time, and the most since 2012. 264 total yards (including his 49-yard TD pass) isn't too bad either. Both offenses are very good to elite, both defenses are in absolute shambles.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 24, 2023, 05:13:44 PM
I didn't think the wild game I just saw could possibly be overshadowed in its own time slot, until an NFL team scored 70 points on another NFL team in the salary cap era.

Huh?

Last time that happened, humans hadn't been to the moon yet. I never fork teams before the week of the points cutoff, but for giving up 70 points I have to fork the Broncos on the spot. Especially for a team that actually had a very strong defense last year, this is stunning. Maybe the most shocking NFL final score I've ever seen. And I didn't have the Broncos winning either.

726 yards of offense is the MOST in the HISTORY of the NFL. Nuts.

Sean Payton should have known so much better than to call Hackett's year as Broncos HC "worst coaching job in NFL history". He was guaranteed to turn in a worse performance from that moment, and arguably already has through three games:

• Choked and lost by 1 point against a division rival in Week 1
  • Blew an 18-point lead in Week 2
  • Worst defensive performance in NFL history in Week 3

You have to feel for Broncos fans at this point. Brings up the age-old question: Is a Super Bowl win worth ~ten years of being terrible?
Right now, it's tempting to say no, but in context, there are still quite a few franchises that have never won it all, and that's a different kind of pain, even if they're stacking regular season wins.

epzik8

Matt Eberflus is officially a lost cause

jlam

I'll fork the Broncos. Time to tank for Caleb Williams.

thspfc

Quote from: epzik8 on September 24, 2023, 07:34:53 PM
Matt Eberflus is officially a lost cause
Brings up another question: have we ever seen this many teams in panic mode after only three weeks? Bears, Broncos, I'd say Giants, and maybe Vikings too. The Jets offense looks even worse than last year. If the Bengals lose tomorrow that'll be another. And the Jags and Chargers, despite their win today, narrowly miss the list for me.

Hopefully that was the yearly stink bomb out of the way for Dallas. I'm surprised but not shocked. Arizona owns them. Arizona also now has a positive point differential. Which doesn't mean a whole lot through three weeks, but clearly they're not that bad.

Hunty2022

I'm joining the list of people to fork the Denver Broncos. I'm also forking the New York Jets.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.