News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwf1701

Is it me, or do i think the Bears will get the #1 pick again, but this time as a 0-17 team?

Alps

Quote from: cwf1701 on September 24, 2023, 09:22:13 PM
Is it me, or do i think the Bears will get the #1 pick again, but this time as a 0-17 team?
They don't play the Jets so it's possible.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Alps on September 24, 2023, 09:37:13 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on September 24, 2023, 09:22:13 PM
They don't play the Jets so it's possible.
The loser of next week's Broncos-Bears game has the early inside track
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jmacswimmer

They could even have the top 2 picks by virtue of holding Carolina's 1st rounder next year, as they're also 0-3  :pan:

At this point I'm just hoping for at least a halfway competitive game against the Commanders in a week & a half for the game at FedExField I have tickets for...

FOX was initially showing the Bears-Chiefs game here, but then switched over to Cowboys-Cardinals after halftime in order to "show a more competitive matchup" . Oof  :ded:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Another one for "Random Thoughts: NFL Edition"...

This week was a great showcase for the unpredictable, juxtapositious nature of the NFL.

One one hand, there's such a clear and vast talent disparity between the best teams/units and the worst ones. We saw a 70-burger laid (in a 50 point victory) that rivals anything you'd get in even the most lopsided of college matchups. Last year's Super Bowl champion beat last year's worst team by 31 points*. And a QB in Sam Howell who'd looked good against two of the worst defenses in the league looked terrible against a much better defense. So, we should have a pretty good idea of who will be good and who will be bad on any given week, right?

Not so fast. Three teams favored by a touchdown-plus lost today, first time that's happened in almost a decade. Not only that, the team many/most people had ranked #1 in the entire league entering the week lost to the team that many/most people had ranked #32 in the entire league entering the week, and it didn't even necessarily feel like a fluky loss. And a team projected to coast to 10+ wins and a division title lost by double digits and was dominated by a division rival that was widely presumed to be the second-worst team in the league.

Then add on to that games like Chargers-Vikings that are predictably unpredictable... where you know it's probably going to come down to the wire, and it does, but it's still wildly entertaining and volatile in real time, and it's little wonder "any given Sunday" is such a common refrain across the NFL.

*Actually, the Bears hung for a quarter and outscored the Chiefs in the 2nd half, but a 27-point 2nd quarter from the Chiefs rendered that completely meaningless.

Big John

Quote from: jmacswimmer on September 24, 2023, 09:51:14 PM
They could even have the top 2 picks by virtue of holding Carolina's 1st rounder next year, as they're also 0-3  :pan:

At this point I'm just hoping for at least a halfway competitive game against the Commanders in a week & a half for the game at FedExField I have tickets for...

FOX was initially showing the Bears-Chiefs game here, but then switched over to Cowboys-Cardinals after halftime in order to "show a more competitive matchup" . Oof  :ded:
They didn't switch here, likely because it was a divisional game.

webny99

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 24, 2023, 09:38:35 PM

Oh no. Two train wrecks colliding at high speeds. It could be dubbed the Tank Bowl, but it's especially ugly because both franchises/fanbases had true hopes of being in playoff contention this season and certainly didn't expect to start 0-3.

At this point, playoffs would be miraculous for either team, but 0-4 is a true death knell.

Despite the Texans' win today, it's still very much possible that the top four picks could all belong to Chicago and Arizona in some order.

mgk920

Quote from: webny99 on September 24, 2023, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 24, 2023, 09:38:35 PM

Oh no. Two train wrecks colliding at high speeds. It could be dubbed the Tank Bowl, but it's especially ugly because both franchises/fanbases had true hopes of being in playoff contention this season and certainly didn't expect to start 0-3.

At this point, playoffs would be miraculous for either team, but 0-4 is a true death knell.

Despite the Texans' win today, it's still very much possible that the top four picks could all belong to Chicago and Arizona in some order.

Howabout that game (let's call it the Tidy Bowl) ending of a 3-3 draw?  :spin:

OTOH, the Lions @ Green Bay on Thursday night will indeed be interesting.   :nod:

Mike

JayhawkCO

Fork the Bears and the Vikings.

jgb191

Let's say Team A beats Team B, and then Team B beats Team C, well then logic would tell you that Team A should beat Team C right?

Well that's what sets our AFC South division apart from all other NFL divisions.  The AFC South throws that logic out the window; practically every year Team C beats Team A.  And this has been happening annually ever since I gained my NFL interest two decades ago.

Week One:  Jaguars won at the Colts.
Week Two:  Colts won at the Texans.
Week Three:  Texans win at the Jaguars!

It's a full circle!!  The AFC South is the NFL's version of Rock/Paper/Scissors....and all road victories to boot!

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

webny99

Quote from: jgb191 on September 26, 2023, 12:11:56 AM
Let's say Team A beats Team B, and then Team B beats Team C, well then logic would tell you that Team A should beat Team C right?

Well that's what sets our AFC South division apart from all other NFL divisions.  The AFC South throws that logic out the window; practically every year Team C beats Team A.  And this has been happening annually ever since I gained my NFL interest two decades ago.

It's an interesting phenomenon, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news: it's not unique to the AFC South by any stretch. You can find examples of it in every division, especially since the teams play twice a year. In fact, if all teams in the division split their season matchups, you would by definition be able to form any set of A>B>C>A you wanted using those results.

It used to be quite common in the NFC West with 49ers>Rams>Seahawks>49ers, where each team not just beat the other, but swept them (see 2019 and 2020 seasons). And it happened last year in the AFC East with Jets>Bills>Patriots>Jets, and could happen again this year.

For a non-divisional example this season, Cowboys beat Giants, Giants (barely) beat Cardinals, Cardinals beat Cowboys. Now, that one is a little more fluky, but still worth noting.

thspfc

Had the Lions last night.

Jaguars
Rams
Browns
Vikings
Bengals
Saints
Bills
Bears
Eagles
Texans
Chargers
49ers
Cowboys
Chiefs
Seahawks

The Ghostbuster

I'm not surprised the Green Bay Packers fell to the Detroit Lions. The first half was pathetic. The second half was better, with the Packers outscoring the Lions 17-7, but unlike the game against the Saints, the mountain to victory was too high to climb. I hope the Packers do better in their next game on Monday, October 9th against the Las Vegas Raiders. It will be great to see former Packer Wide Receiver Devante Adams play against his former team.

jlam

I'll jump the gun with posting my final Week 1-4 fork picks:

• The aforementioned Broncos
  • Jets
  • Patriots
  • Giants
Vance Joseph keeps taking steps in the wrong direction. At least we didn't give up 140

Max Rockatansky

I guess everyone was a little early anointing the Dolphins.  I do wonder though, how bad are the Bears if they still managed to lose to the Broncos?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2023, 08:44:29 PM
I guess everyone was a little early anointing the Dolphins.  I do wonder though, how bad are the Bears if they still managed to lose to the Broncos?

Speaking as a Bears fan, incredibly bad. They now hold the top 2 draft picks courtesy of them & the Panthers being the last 2 winless teams  :ded:

After that game ended I immediately explained the paper-bag concept to my wife in preparation for heading to FedEx Field this Thursday night...
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

I guess everyone was a little early anointing the Dolphins.

AFC East round robin of the 2020's. Bills own Dolphins, Dolphins own Patriots, Patriots own Jets, Jets own Bills.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on October 01, 2023, 09:20:53 PM
I do wonder though, how bad are the Bears if they still managed to lose to the Broncos?

Speaking as a Bears fan, incredibly bad. They now hold the top 2 draft picks courtesy of them & the Panthers being the last 2 winless teams  :ded:

Of course, this is not breaking news. The Bears are terrible, the Broncos were their only real competition for worst team in the league. That's 14 straight losses and no one should have had any confidence that they would win, even against a team that just gave up 70 points.

As brutal as it was to lose that game, though, there is at least a double silver lining for Bears fans. First, you've got the top two draft picks at the moment, and no reason to think the Panthers pick is going to be tumbling anytime soon. And second, Fields had a career day with 300+ yards, and that gives you a bit of hope for the rest of the season. It's been almost impossible to evaluate him to this point, but if he stacks some more good performances, it will provide some clarity as to what path the organization should take going forward (hopefully with a new coach/GM as I think we've seen enough to know that Eberflus isn't it, further confirmed by the Claypool debacle).

If the Broncos had lost, though? Zero silver lining. Payton's coaching performance looks increasingly and hysterically worse, your defense just gave up 70 points and followed it up by making the laughingstock Bears offense look respectable, and you're tied to a middling version of Russell Wilson long term. If you keep losing, there's no top draft picks or potential QB of the future on the roster like there is in Chicago. It's win now or else, so to get that comeback win that shows the team hasn't completely given up must be a massive sigh of relief to the entire organization.

JayhawkCO

Fork the Bengals and the Steelers.

jgb191

The Texans win their first home game since Christmas 2021, snapping an eleven-game home losing streak; all of our last four wins were on the road while visiting division opponents. 

That same stretch, we've also not won consecutive games since Christmas 2021; both of our two-game winning streak, then and now, included wins against Jacksonville. 

Additionally, they have not won by 20+ points margin since 2017, six years ago; Texans won by 24 points today.

After being sacked twelve times in the first two games, CJ has not been sacked these last two games and has yet to throw an interception for his career.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

webny99

Quote from: jgb191 on October 01, 2023, 10:43:06 PM
The Texans win their first home game since Christmas 2021 ...

Additionally, they have not won by 20+ points margin since 2017, six years ago; Texans won by 24 points today.

Wow! That was a solid win and Stroud looks really good.

Pretty rough for the Steelers though. Between that, Watson being out, and the Bengals being 1-3 while Burrow still deals with injury, the Ravens might end up rolling to a division title in a division expected to be a dogfight... not a sentence I expected to be typing one week after they lost to the Colts.  :confused:

thspfc

I guess everyone was a little early anointing the Dolphins.
It's been quite a response from the Bills following the week 1 catastrophe.

Elizabeth II took the throne in 1952 and has missed 3 Bears wins since her death. Elon Musk's Twitter has never discussed a Bears win.

Zach Wilson outplaying Patrick Mahomes is a thing that happened. Mahomes also set a likely career low by being only the 4th person shown on the broadcast just before kickoff, after Kelce, Taylor Swift, and Aaron Rodgers.  :-D

In addition to the Broncos my 20-point forks will be the Panthers, Jets, and *tentatively* Vikings pending tonight's result. I can't bring myself to write off the Bengals yet. I don't feel good about putting all my chips on the Saints in the NFCS, but the Panthers sure aren't winning it so there's no point in keeping them. The Jets and Vikings, despite somewhat encouraging performances this week, are just in a hole at 1-3. If the Seahawks drop to 2-2 I might rethink things, but if they win, the NFC will look like this:

4-0 Eagles
4-0 49ers
3-1 Lions
3-1 Bucs
3-1 Cowboys
3-1 Seahawks
2-2 Commanders, Saints, Falcons, Packers, Rams
1-3 Vikings

Too crowded.

Bill Belichick and the Patriots "mutually agreeing to part ways" (read: the Patriots agreeing that Belichick should agree to part ways) is really not that far-fetched if things don't get better.

Billy F 1988

Yeah, I think Bill's time as a Patriot coach is coming to an imminent end. Like all dynasties, they all come to an end at some point.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thspfc

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 02, 2023, 04:25:13 PM
Yeah, I think Bill's time as a Patriot coach is coming to an imminent end. Like all dynasties, they all come to an end at some point.
Oh, the dynasty has been over for nearly 4 years. Bill has tried, and failed, to rebuild it. Doesn't mean he's not the GOAT coach, but there's no doubt that his lack of success pre- and post-Brady will hurt his legacy.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: thspfc on October 02, 2023, 04:49:37 PM
Oh, the dynasty has been over for nearly 4 years. Bill has tried, and failed, to rebuild it. Doesn't mean he's not the GOAT coach, but there's no doubt that his lack of success pre- and post-Brady will hurt his legacy.
You think that might put his Hall of Fame bid on ice?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 02, 2023, 06:02:34 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 02, 2023, 04:49:37 PM
You think that might put his Hall of Fame bid on ice?

No, this isn't the NHL.

I'm hoping the Seahawks win today so the win/loss distribution is exactly as it should be: two 4-0, eight 3-1, twelve 2-2, eight 1-3, and two 0-4.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.