News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: epzik8 on October 10, 2023, 04:15:35 PM
Safe to call Bryce Young a bust yet?

Nah, way too early for that. Only five games into his rookie year.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 10, 2023, 04:42:05 PM

Nah, way too early for that. Only five games into his rookie year.

And Frank Reich teams notoriously start very slow. The playoffs (division) are likely out of reach but I wouldn't be surprised to see them stack some wins in the second half of the season.

cwf1701

Well i would wait until the last game of the season if the Panthers finish 0-17 or 1-16 (only win against the Bears)

thspfc

Chiefs
Ravens
Commanders
Vikings
Bengals
49ers
Dolphins
Jaguars
Texans
Patriots
Rams
Eagles
Lions
Bills
Cowboys

Lots of good ones this week.

thspfc

Last night's final of 19-8 was the first instance of that score since October 12, 1927, when the New York Yankees (?) beat the Buffalo Bisons, exactly 96 years prior to yesterday. So saying Denver's offense set football back 100 years might not be an exaggeration. Oh, how far we haven't come.

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on October 13, 2023, 05:40:42 PM
Last night's final of 19-8 was the first instance of that score since October 12, 1927, when the New York Yankees (?) beat the Buffalo Bisons, exactly 96 years prior to yesterday.

Interestingly, the only thing that prevents that score, those two teams, and that year from being a baseball game is that it would have been major league versus minor league.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kurumi

Red Sox fans remember an ALCS game where the Yankees prevailed 19-8. Looked pretty grim at the time.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

epzik8

Patriots making a bold move signing Malik Cunningham to a three-year deal right off their practice squad...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on October 13, 2023, 05:40:42 PM
Last night's final of 19-8 was the first instance of that score since October 12, 1927, when the New York Yankees (?) beat the Buffalo Bisons, exactly 96 years prior to yesterday. So saying Denver's offense set football back 100 years might not be an exaggeration. Oh, how far we haven't come.

And we'll be seeing what the Packers will be doing with the Broncos next weekend.

And yes, the Yankees were a team in the NFL at that time.

Mike

jgb191

With their victory against New Orleans, the Texans win a home game against an NFC team for the first time in four years with their last one coming in 2019 snapping an eight-game losing streak.  Texans also snap a twelve-game losing streak against the NFC overall with their last win at Detroit on Thanksgiving Day 2020.  Furthermore, the Texans win consecutive home games for the first time since the 2018 season.  So many things they've re-accomplished after so many years.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

epzik8

Good god did the Niners get screwed today.

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on October 15, 2023, 06:10:02 PM
Furthermore, the Texans win consecutive home games for the first time since the 2018 season.
(Nitpick), they won four home games in a row in 2019.

The AFC South looks a bit clearer, with the Jags pulling ahead as clear favorites while the Titans fall behind.

The Raiders finally eclipsing 20 points in a game for the first time this season on a safety is just poetic. The Iowa Hawkeyes of the NFL - except Vegas' defense isn't particularly good, they've just faced four struggling offenses in their first six games.

Quote from: epzik8 on October 15, 2023, 06:42:27 PM
Good god did the Niners get screwed today.
Yeah, some rough calls at the end for sure. Brock Purdy suffers the first regular season loss of his career and the first loss period in which he had a functioning throwing hand. There's no telling how critical that missed field goal will end up being at the end of the season. It could cost the 49ers the one seed and it could help the Browns earn a wild card spot or possibly win the division.

thspfc

And for the second year in a row the Dolphins pop the champagne after an Eagles loss.

epzik8

Philadelphia Eagles LOL...

JayhawkCO

Giants got jobbed last night. That holding went on longer than Aaron Rodgers' season.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 16, 2023, 10:07:26 AM
Giants got jobbed last night. That holding went on longer than Aaron Rodgers' season.
It was a controversial non-call for sure, however, I'm astonished by the number of people I've seen try to use it as ammo for their "Vegas/Goodell/the refs who bet on somebody's moneyline rig(s) games" conspiracy. They literally called PI the play before on the exact same type of hold. If they're rigging the game, why would they give the Giants an untimed down from the 1 but then not give them another shot after the exact same thing happened on the untimed down? Just no critical thinking ability whatsoever.

This was a case of the refs being scared to throw back-to-back flags on a critical drive, and frankly, while it was a missed call, I can't blame them because the braindead outrage if they did throw another flag ("LeT tHeM pLaY" or "yOu CaN't ThRoW tWo FlAgS iN a RoW iN tHaT sItUaTiOn") would be far louder than it is right now. They were going to be raked over the coals no matter what they did because people love to whine about the refs every play.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on October 16, 2023, 12:26:48 PM
It was a controversial non-call for sure, however, I'm astonished by the number of people I've seen try to use it as ammo for their "Vegas/Goodell/the refs who bet on somebody's moneyline rig(s) games" conspiracy. They literally called PI the play before on the exact same type of hold. If they're rigging the game, why would they give the Giants an untimed down from the 1 but then not give them another shot after the exact same thing happened on the untimed down? Just no critical thinking ability whatsoever.

This was a case of the refs being scared to throw back-to-back flags on a critical drive, and frankly, while it was a missed call, I can't blame them because the braindead outrage if they did throw another flag ("LeT tHeM pLaY" or "yOu CaN't ThRoW tWo FlAgS iN a RoW iN tHaT sItUaTiOn") would be far louder than it is right now. They were going to be raked over the coals no matter what they did because people love to whine about the refs every play.

"The NFL rigs games" guys are essentially Flat Earthers to me.

webny99

It was not mentioned here, but the Jets got much more thoroughly and blatantly jobbed against the Chiefs, IMO.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 16, 2023, 12:30:37 PM
"The NFL rigs games" guys are essentially Flat Earthers to me.

I don't think it's that clear-cut, but there is a pattern of ref involvement in close, late game scenarios that almost always favors the bigger name team/superstar. There are dozens of instances at this point - including the last two Super Bowls. It's far too many to overlook as pure coincidence.

tmoore952

Two comments on recent posts:

If the 49ers and the Eagles were going to lose games, losing an interconference game is the best game to lose from a tiebreaker standpoint. Which they both did yesterday.

=====================================================

Scores of 19-8 (or 19-11) are much more likely now that there are 2 point conversions. You still can't get to 2 or 5 without a safety.

Not sure about my last statement here, can you also get 2 by returning a intercepted 2-point conversion to the other end zone??
Or, as others mention later, is it 1 point no matter whether it was a 1-point attempt or a 2-point attempt that was returned?
EDIT - Question answered several posts below.

tmoore952

Quote from: thspfc on October 15, 2023, 07:39:39 PM
And for the second year in a row the Dolphins pop the champagne after an Eagles loss.

Eagles fan here, don't care about whether or not they were undefeated. I am glad they did lose, I remember the 1985 Bears and the 2007 Patriots, and some other teams with that kind of start (Packers and Steelers come to mind) having to answer all sorts of questions about that.

As I mentioned in the last post, if you going to lose a game, from a tiebreaker standpoint, the interconference game is the one to lose.

jgb191

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 16, 2023, 02:17:18 PM
You still can't get to 2 or 5 without a safety.

You're right about that, which makes me wonder:

Total Points -- What you need
1 -- Impossible (without TD)
2 -- Safety
3 -- Field Goal (FG)
4 -- Two Safeties
5 -- Safety and FG
6 -- Two FG or a Touchdown (TD)
7 -- TD and Extra Point (EP)
8 -- (TD and two-point conversion (TPC)) or (Safety and two FGs) or (four Safeties)
9 -- (three FGs) or (TD and FG) or (three safeties and a FG)
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jlam

Quote from: jgb191 on October 16, 2023, 03:51:35 PM
You can score just 1 point, but there needs to be a very specific setup (involving a safety off of an extra point), so I don't think it has happened.

Big John

Quote from: jlam on October 16, 2023, 03:55:52 PM
You can score just 1 point, but there needs to be a very specific setup, so I don't think it has happened.
On a 2-point conversion the ball falls back into the scoring team's end zone and results in a safety, it is 1 point for the defense instead od 2 since it was a point after touchdown attempt.

jeffandnicole

You can score just 1 point, but there needs to be a very specific setup (involving a safety off of an extra point), so I don't think it has happened.

Correct - hasn't happened yet.  And it's a relatively new way to get that. 

6 -- Two FG or a Touchdown (TD)
Also - 3 Safetys

Quote7 -- TD and Extra Point (EP)
Also - FG & 2 Safetys

Quote9 -- (three FGs) or (TD and FG) or (three safeties and a FG)
Also - TD, EP, and Safety

And because of the 1 point EP Safety, there's going to be numerous other ways to get to every point total, but they're even more unlikely than the above scenarios.

tmoore952

What if there is a safety off an attempted 2 point conversion? Is that even possible -- or is the play dead as soon as the ball is touched by the defending team?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.