News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

It's nice to see the Lions do well for a change, and it makes my rooting for them today a little easier, since they're playing my most hated rivals (the Packers) in the early game. Happy Thanksgiving!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tmoore952

All division games this year.

I noticed over the years, for the traditional Thanksgiving home teams Detroit and Dallas, that many times their Thanksgiving game would be one of their home interconference games for one or both teams (and if only one, usually Detroit).

I haven't paid as much attention to the evening games to see if there has been any pattern there.

Big John

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 23, 2023, 11:20:31 AM

I noticed over the years, for the traditional Thanksgiving home teams Detroit and Dallas, that many times their Thanksgiving game would be one of their home interconference games for one or both teams (and if only one, usually Detroit).

I haven't paid as much attention to the evening games to see if there has been any pattern there.
It was set that way to satisfy the TV contacts as if carried the if a NFC team was the visiting or CBS carried the game if an AFC team was the visitor.

Exceptions came up a few years ago, and this year there is no formal distincton so CBS can carry a game between 2 NFC teams.

tmoore952

Quote from: Big John on November 23, 2023, 11:27:34 AM
Quote from: tmoore952 on November 23, 2023, 11:20:31 AM

It was set that way to satisfy the TV contacts as if carried the if a NFC team was the visiting or CBS carried the game if an AFC team was the visitor.

Exceptions came up a few years ago, and this year there is no formal distincton so CBS can carry a game between 2 NFC teams.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew when I was writing the earlier post that I was forgetting something, that's what it was.

I was also noticing how in past years how Detroit and Dallas would jump between FOX and CBS, and how whoever got Detroit normally got screwed both with an early game and a generally lousy one. But with the demise of the "visiting team network broadcasts" rule dictating the inclusion of an AFC team, there still must have been a conscious decision to do all division games (and thus all NFC).

The demise of that rule definitely seems to have benefited CBS, they get more of the NFC marquee games and seem to take advantage of it. No disrespect to AFC intended.

Alps

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on November 23, 2023, 11:01:58 AM
It's nice to see the Lions do well for a change, and it makes my rooting for them today a little easier, since they're playing my most hated rivals (the Packers) in the early game. Happy Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately, as Thanksgiving is a traditional type day, the Lions followed tradition against the Packers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thspfc

Quote from: Brandon on November 23, 2023, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 23, 2023, 11:01:58 AM

Unfortunately, as Thanksgiving is a traditional type day, the Lions followed tradition against the Packers.
But the Cowboys did not follow suit, blowing a team away on Thanksgiving for the first time that I can remember. Looking at past schedules, today was their first double-digit Thanksgiving win since 2009.

Of course, this is roughly the time of the season where I try, and ultimately fail, to not be the stereotypical delusional Cowboys fan after a blowout win. DaRon Bland broke the all-time record for single-season pick sixes with 5, Dak is playing at an MVP level, Brandin Cooks is becoming the high-level no. 2 receiver I expected him to be this year, and a host of other young offensive weapons are making an impact.

If Trevon Diggs was healthy, this secondary of Diggs, Kearse, Hooker, Gilmore, and Bland would be quite possibly the best the league has seen since Denver's No Fly Zone. Unfortunately, Gilmore will be an unrestricted free agent in 2024 and it's unlikely the team chooses to bring him back as a 33-year-old corner, so we might not get to see it next year.

Quote from: thspfc on November 05, 2023, 08:20:12 PM
Upcoming for the Cowboys are the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders. Sounds like 8-3 entering a massive stretch of games: SEA, PHI, @BUF, @MIA, DET. Vs. Seahawks looks to be a battle for the 5 seed, vs. Eagles looks to be Dallas' last crack at the division.
8-3 indeed, but five tests in a row are to come.

jgb191

It's halftime of Dolphins at Jets:  I'm not sure if there has ever been this kind of a pick-six:  Intercepted out of a Hail Mary pass and returned by the defense from one endzone to the other with just a couple of seconds left in the first half.  I've certainly never seen anything like it, but then again, I've only been watching NFL for barely two decades.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Hunty2022

I'll fork the Commanders.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Great Lakes Roads

I'll have to say this officially: the Jets are the WORST team in the NFL this season!
-Jay Seaburg

mgk920

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 24, 2023, 10:41:00 PM
I'll fork the Commanders.

While listening to their game on the radio yesterday, I was thinking of them more sand more as the NFL's version of the Generals.

Mike

tmoore952

Quote from: jgb191 on November 24, 2023, 04:32:47 PM
It's halftime of Dolphins at Jets:  I'm not sure if there has ever been this kind of a pick-six:  Intercepted out of a Hail Mary pass and returned by the defense from one endzone to the other with just a couple of seconds left in the first half.  I've certainly never seen anything like it, but then again, I've only been watching NFL for barely two decades.

I watched the last quarter of this game last night on NFL Network via tape delay. From what I saw, I'm glad I did not watch this game at the time of broadcast, would have been a waste of my time with the limited daylight.

Amazon put up a graphic that called this play the "Hell Mary". Al Michaels also said he had the "honor" of broadcasting both that and the Butt Fumble, which also happened to occur on Thanksgiving weekend prior to Sunday.

I've been watching for about five decades and do not remember anything like that, either. But I'm not likely to remember if it wasn't a team I follow closely.

JayhawkCO

Don't remember exactly this in the NFL, but it's somewhat reminiscent of the Iron Bowl where Alabama attempted a long field goal at the end of the game, it came up short, and Auburn returned it for a touchdown.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 25, 2023, 12:07:51 PM
Don't remember exactly this in the NFL, but it's somewhat reminiscent of the Iron Bowl where Alabama attempted a long field goal at the end of the game, it came up short, and Auburn returned it for a touchdown.

Devin Hester with the Bears did it against the Giants.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Big John

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 25, 2023, 12:10:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 25, 2023, 12:07:51 PM

Devin Hester with the Bears did it against the Giants.
As did Chris McAlistar for the Ravens vs the Broncos in 2002.

JayhawkCO

I was kinda referring to a pick six at the end of a half, but I phrased it poorly.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 25, 2023, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on November 24, 2023, 04:32:47 PM

I watched the last quarter of this game last night on NFL Network via tape delay. From what I saw, I'm glad I did not watch this game at the time of broadcast, would have been a waste of my time with the limited daylight.

Amazon put up a graphic that called this play the "Hell Mary". Al Michaels also said he had the "honor" of broadcasting both that and the Butt Fumble, which also happened to occur on Thanksgiving weekend prior to Sunday.

I've been watching for about five decades and do not remember anything like that, either. But I'm not likely to remember if it wasn't a team I follow closely.

It's kinda amazing this play was even allowed to occur.  Usually on Hail Marys, there's about 10 people in the area of where the ball is being thrown, with the losing team's fans complaining that there was multiple pass interferences, which is true albeit by both teams.  The fact that the defender was open by about 1-2 yards all around him is quite unusual. 

tmoore952

I do remember a pick-six (at the end of a half) with a nearly 100 yd runback that Philadelphia did at the end of game against Dallas around 1995. Dallas was driving for what would have been a go-ahead score. As I recall, time expired during the interception return, so the final margin (~12 or 13 point Philadelphia victory) was not really indicative of the game as a whole.

But this was NOT a Hail Mary pass. Dallas was around the 10 yd line (more or less) when Aikman made that pass.

Big John

Minnesota almost did the same thing against Wisconsin until Wisconsin's QB tackled the defender.

jgb191

The Jaguars looked every bit the division champs that they are, give them credit for holding on.  For the first time since starting 0-2, the Texans failed to lead at any point in the 4th quarter, and first time since then that they trailed by double-digits.  The Texans have had eight straight 4th Q leads before that streak snapped today; the Texans had twelve 4th Q leads last year but coughed up 8 of those 12 leads in 2022.

The Texans fall to third place in the AFC South, and playoff chances look very slim to almost improbable the rest of the way.  With only three division games left this season, my team should still win at least one, maybe two, of those division games, even so that will only get us to 8 wins & 9 losses (8-9 record for 2023)....not even close enough to clinch a wild card unless we get help from other teams to tack on losses to current wild card holders (Colts and Browns).  It's been a great resurgence for the Texans this season, achieving significantly ahead of schedule; preseason predictions were widely believed to have been five wins for 2023.

With respect to Jacksonville-Houston division rivalry, the road team taken five straight games going back to the first game of 2021 (last time the home team won any division game involving the Texans) and 13 straight division games in which the road team won.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

epzik8

I really don't like the Eagles at all.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

webny99

Nobody find more dramatic ways to lose than the Bills. Not even the Cowboys, even despite my arguments to the contrary last offseason.

I want to deep dive into this a little more, and there should be plenty of time to do so in January and February, but the consistent failures of the Bills in close games under McDermott has to be unprecedented in NFL history. 0-6 in overtime is insane, and all 6 were absolutely incomprehensible, sickening, and enough to make a grown man weep. Some teams go entire seasons without one loss that bad, and the Bills have six in five years in overtime alone, and well over a dozen more in regulation, including two others (Broncos and Patriots) already this season.

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on November 26, 2023, 04:37:08 PM
the Texans had twelve 4th Q leads last year but coughed up 8 of those 12 leads in 2022.
Last year they had 8 fourth quarter leads, and ended up with a 3-4-1 record in those games.

the road team taken five straight games going back to the first game of 2021 (last time the home team won any division game involving the Texans) and 13 straight division games in which the road team won.
The Colts beat the Texans in Indianapolis in week 6 of 2021.

I have to ask, where are you getting these specific numbers from? They're on the right track in that they indicate a trend that does exist, but the details can still be debunked in a matter of seconds . . .  :-D

Here's a quick comparison . . . since week 7:

Team A: 5-0, average MOV of 7.4, opponents' combined record is 32-24, 2 double-digit wins
Team B: 5-0, average MOV of 6.6, opponents' combined record is 34-23, 1 double-digit win, 1 overtime win

Team A is the Broncos, team B is the Eagles. I can't comprehend that this is the same team - especially the same defense - that lost a game 70-20 two months ago. Not to mention, the only defense to make the Jets offense look good in the last 365 days. Now they're on legitimately the best five game run any team has had this season.

Quote from: thspfc on November 19, 2023, 05:57:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 13, 2023, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 06, 2023, 10:57:17 AM
Pittsburgh's 5-3 record is a joke. Here are the total offensive yardage numbers for each team in Steelers games this season:

Not only have they been outgained every single time, their highest yardage total of the season is lower than their opponents' lowest yardage total against them.

Oh no.

Packers, 399 total yards.
Steelers, 324 total yards.

Still holds true for at least another week. :angry:
The latter condition of the streak has fallen, with the Browns only putting up 259 yards. But Cleveland did outgain the Steelers so that part lives on.
Well it's finally over for good. They put up 400 yards of offense for the first time since 2020. Immediately after firing their OC.

Quote from: webny99 on November 26, 2023, 09:26:51 PM
Nobody find more dramatic ways to lose than the Bills. Not even the Cowboys, even despite my arguments to the contrary last offseason.

I want to deep dive into this a little more, and there should be plenty of time to do so in January and February, but the consistent failures of the Bills in close games under McDermott has to be unprecedented in NFL history. 0-6 in overtime is insane, and all 6 were absolutely incomprehensible, sickening, and enough to make a grown man weep. Some teams go entire seasons without one loss that bad, and the Bills have six in five years in overtime alone, and well over a dozen more in regulation, including two others (Broncos and Patriots) already this season.
They manage to lose games in which they have more total yards, more first downs, more time with the ball, and fewer turnovers at a puzzling frequency. It's also incredible that they're always on the losing end of the game of the year: 2023 to this point with today's game, 2022 with the Vikings game, 2021 with the Chiefs game, arguably 2020 with the Hail Murray, and an honorable mention to 2019 with the Texans game.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 26, 2023, 09:29:01 PM

They manage to lose games in which they have more total yards, more first downs, more time with the ball, and fewer turnovers at a puzzling frequency. It's also incredible that they're always on the losing end of the game of the year: 2023 to this point with today's game, 2022 with the Vikings game, 2021 with the Chiefs game, arguably 2020 with the Hail Murray, and an honorable mention to 2019 with the Texans game.

It's fair to point to suspect officiating in today's loss specifically (not to go down that road again, but it was a massive factor)...

But the common thread in all of these losses is coaching, and coaching on defense in particular. McDermott's defense always seems to gag in the biggest moments. It would seem he learned absolutely nothing from "13 seconds" - both due to how he handled the end of regulation AND how they handled the final Eagles drive. Part of me wonders if he really was content to play for OT, thinking he was long overdue for a win with an 0-5 record, and it nearly worked if not for a miscommunication between Allen and Davis, but of course they got burned by having to give the ball back.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on November 26, 2023, 10:20:01 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 26, 2023, 09:29:01 PM

It's fair to point to suspect officiating in today's loss specifically (not to go down that road again, but it was a massive factor)...

But the common thread in all of these losses is coaching, and coaching on defense in particular. McDermott's defense always seems to gag in the biggest moments. It would seem he learned absolutely nothing from "13 seconds" - both due to how he handled the end of regulation AND how they handled the final Eagles drive. Part of me wonders if he really was content to play for OT, thinking he was long overdue for a win with an 0-5 record, and it nearly worked if not for a miscommunication between Allen and Davis, but of course they got burned by having to give the ball back.

Being that the Eagles won I'll go a little softer on the officiating, but along with the questionable calls notably on us against Bill's QB, #2 Slay gets away with a lot before the receiver catches the ball.  Not only in this game, but in several other games this year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.