News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2023, 09:32:39 PM
Falcons = biggest disappointment of 2023, even accounting for some tough competition (Chargers, Jets)
To me the Jets have been the biggest letdown. Even considering Rodgers' injury, they shouldn't be even worse than they were last year.

The Falcons are actually doing better than I expected them to. The hype was derived from fantasy football. People went crazy at the thought of their 3 first round skill position picks of the last 3 drafts (Bijan, London, Pitts). Turns out you need a competent QB and competent coaching for that to matter. Not to mention that prospects are just that . . . prospects.

I wasn't high on the Chargers either, but I didn't expect them to crash this hard. The Bills just about avoided what would have been yet another Bills classic tonight.

Quote from: thspfc on April 28, 2023, 12:36:27 AM
Atlanta ranked bottom 10 in the league in passing offense, rushing defense, and passing defense. They ranked 3rd in rushing offense. And they drafted a running back with the 8th overall pick. I know Bijan should be good, but with a projected first round QB in Levis, four strong WRs, and plenty of defensive options, they went running back? While their list of weaknesses comprises basically everything except for rushing offense? Boggles the mind.
Bijan has had a solid year but unless he turns out to be at least a perennial pro bowler, that pick will have been pretty much lit on fire.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2023, 11:01:47 PM
Falcons = biggest disappointment of 2023, even accounting for some tough competition (Chargers, Jets)
To me the Jets have been the biggest letdown. Even considering Rodgers' injury, they shouldn't be even worse than they were last year.

The Falcons are actually doing better than I expected them to. The hype was derived from fantasy football. People went crazy at the thought of their 3 first round skill position picks of the last 3 drafts (Bijan, London, Pitts). Turns out you need a competent QB and competent coaching for that to matter. Not to mention that prospects are just that . . . prospects.

I don't know, my feelings on the Jets haven't changed much this season. They're still a good defense and a QB away from being competitive.

But I'm much more down on the Falcons than I was before the season. Arthur Smith coached this team up to 7 wins the last two years, but this year, despite a much improved roster, coaching hasn't provided them any advantage in close games. They also can't seem to do anything on offense, and opposing defenses have their running game figured out. I know they're struggling at QB too, but they still can't lose to 4 of the 6 worst teams in the league, barely beat a 5th, and be in 3rd place in the NFC South and be taken seriously. With a schedule that easy they would be an 11 or 12 win team if Arthur Smith is who we thought he was.

I wasn't high on the Chargers either, but I didn't expect them to crash this hard. The Bills just about avoided what would have been yet another Bills classic tonight.

Excuse me while I put my heart back in my ribcage... Anyone expecting the Bills with their season on the line to blow out the floating Easton Stick led Chargers is definitely not familiar with either team!  :paranoid:

But that ugly win coupled with a Bengals loss means the Bills will clinch a playoff berth if they win their last two games. They were the #9 seed but have now jumped the Bengals, and will jump the loser of Colts-Texans to get to at least #7 as long as they take care of their own business. It was a weird to suddenly be rooting for a Steelers win, but their three week implosion more or less removed them from the picture already so the Bengals losing was a bigger help to the rest of the playoff field.

epzik8

Jaxon Smith-Njigba...ouch.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jgb191

The Browns have been looking utterly indestructible....even their reserve units could win the Super Bowl, in fact Flacco has one!  All those injuries to the starters isn't slowing them down one bit, in fact it's looking more like injuries is making them even better.  I would not bet against them in the playoffs no matter who they face against.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jgb191 on December 24, 2023, 06:25:46 PM
The Browns have been looking utterly indestructible....even their reserve units could win the Super Bowl, in fact Flacco has one!  All those injuries to the starters isn't slowing them down one bit, in fact it's looking more like injuries is making them even better.  I would not bet against them in the playoffs no matter who they face against.

Their QB situation has arguably improved.  Picking up Deshaun Watson is looking like it will ultimately be a dud.

In the other conference the Lions finally got a division title for the first time since 1993.  Suffice to say the outlook back then was way more optimistic than things ended up ultimately turned out during the Barry Sanders years.

epzik8

Quote from: jgb191 on December 24, 2023, 06:25:46 PM

38-year old Flacco throwing for almost 400 yards in one game (never mind that it was against Davis Mills) is not something I had on my NFL bingo card for this year at all.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2023, 11:41:09 PM

I don't know, my feelings on the Jets haven't changed much this season. They're still a good defense and a QB away from being competitive.
No, they're a good Offensive Line and a QB away.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2023, 10:07:16 PM

Poor wording on my part, I meant the defense is currently good and they just need a QB, but also true that the O-line needs help.

webny99

Wow, that's twice now this season that the Patriots basically ended their opponent's season while also angering their own fanbase.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on December 24, 2023, 11:30:58 PM
Wow, that's twice now this season that the Patriots basically ended their opponent's season while also angering their own fanbase.

Bears fans appreciating being one step closer to the #1 pick via Carolina.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

I'm not surprised at the relatively muted local response to the Pats win - happy for any semblance of competent play after many losses while being slightly miffed at the diminishing likelihood for a top draft pick with each win. For all of BB's flaws this season, tanking is not in his DNA, nor is it in most football players DNA.

thspfc

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 25, 2023, 10:50:07 AM
I'm not surprised at the relatively muted local response to the Pats win - happy for any semblance of competent play after many losses while being slightly miffed at the diminishing likelihood for a top draft pick with each win. For all of BB's flaws this season, tanking is not in his DNA, nor is it in most football players DNA.
Players don't tank. They have to put food on the table, every game is an audition for next season even if the team is way out of playoff contention.

Tanking is always orchestrated by upper management constructing a terrible roster. Neither Belichick nor Kraft had that in mind. In the case of the Patriots, they're just bad. Nobody in that organization wants to lose, even if it means a marginally better draft pick.

mgk920

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 25, 2023, 09:35:29 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 24, 2023, 11:30:58 PM

Bears fans appreciating being one step closer to the #1 pick via Carolina.

Bowing to the north, I see!   :nod:

Mike

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on December 24, 2023, 10:28:37 PM

Poor wording on my part, I meant the defense is currently good and they just need a QB, but also true that the O-line needs help.
the O-line is the reason young QBs keep failing in the system. they just keep getting knocked around.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on December 25, 2023, 12:39:45 PM

the O-line is the reason young QBs keep failing in the system. they just keep getting knocked around.
Both can be true . . . their o-lines have been terrible, and they also haven't drafted good quarterbacks.

webny99

The Chiefs are eliminated from #1 seed contention before the Cleveland Browns who are on their 4th QB. Who had that on their 2023 bingo card?

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on December 25, 2023, 01:25:12 PM

Both can be true . . . their o-lines have been terrible, and they also haven't drafted good quarterbacks.
No they've drafted QBs who should be good, but ruined them. These guys might've found success with a different team as mentor.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on December 26, 2023, 12:44:46 AM
Quote from: thspfc on December 25, 2023, 01:25:12 PM

No they've drafted QBs who should be good, but ruined them. These guys might've found success with a different team as mentor.
Darnold has been off the team for 3 years and still looks only marginally better, if not the exact same, as when he was a Jet.

Wilson constantly missing receivers by several feet in every direction is not because of the Jets. As bad as their offensive staff may be, I think NFL coaches know how to teach a QB to throw a pass to a wide open receiver. He can't even do that consistently. I don't know how you watch that guy and say "he would be good somewhere else". He had a big year in college against inferior competition. Like countless other Group-of-5 and FCS QBs, he couldn't make the transition to the league, where everyone's faster, his o-line doesn't hold up every play, and his receivers aren't always wide open.

Would he be better somewhere else? Barely, but he wouldn't be going into next year with a starting job. He's not good.

Quote from: thspfc on December 11, 2023, 12:47:58 AM
One final note on the week: Brock Purdy should not be anywhere near the MVP discussion. This is not just me being salty. We have no concrete reason to believe Purdy is anything more than slightly better than peak Jimmy Garoppolo. A QB proven to be the epitome of mediocre having only slightly less success in the same offense, when that offense wasn't even as talented as it is now, should tell anyone that Purdy is not the most valuable player in the league. A franchise QB? Absolutely. But if you took Hurts off the Eagles, Lamar off the Ravens, Dak off the Cowboys, or Tua off the Dolphins, those teams would suffer far more than the Niners would in the absence of Purdy. (And that's not even mentioning Mahomes and Allen, who prop up their entire offenses on a weekly basis but don't have enough W's or raw stats to be in contention.)
Well it looks like that's settled. My point was not that Purdy wasn't playing well, but if anyone still had questions as to whether Lamar or Purdy is more valuable to their team, they got their answer last night.

ZLoth

As far as I'm concerned...

• Dallas Cowboys, if they win one more game, have a lock on the 5 seed in the NFC. I don't see them taking the division seed from Philadelphia, thus they will be visiting and beating the NFC South team. While they might be able to make it to the NFC championship, I don't see them winning it.
  • I give the Detroit Lions better chances than the Cowboys in making it to the NFC championship, and maybe a dark horse making the Super Bowl.
  • I give the Baltimore-San Francisco rematch a strong possibility for the Super Bowl.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

epzik8

So does a quarterback's total pass yardage in an individual game include the yardage of any interceptions he throws?

Big John

Quote from: epzik8 on December 26, 2023, 01:02:36 PM
So does a quarterback's total pass yardage in an individual game include the yardage of any interceptions he throws?
no

JayhawkCO

Russell Wilson getting benched. I have never had a more correct sports take.

Max Rockatansky

Benching him sounds Dangerwich.

jlam

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 27, 2023, 12:21:30 PM
Russell Wilson getting benched. I have never had a more correct sports take.
Yeah, it's been a disaster. A month ago things were actually looking up. Certainly not anymore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.