News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

I'm really surprised the NFL is going to allow a game to be played at Kansas City Saturday night. by the end of the game, the expected temperature is -3 with a wind chill of -22.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 12, 2024, 11:50:51 AM
QuoteBut I'm also sore about that Super Bowl against New England.  Idiotic play call gave another ring to that cheating, smarmy douche.  Just hand it off to fucking Beast Mode! DUH!!

I actually rooted for the Patriots in that one because I was so mad about the NFC Championship Game.

Mad that the Seahawks were undeserving, or what caused you to be mad?

74/171FAN

Quote from: webny99 on January 12, 2024, 12:10:58 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 12, 2024, 11:50:51 AM
QuoteBut I'm also sore about that Super Bowl against New England.  Idiotic play call gave another ring to that cheating, smarmy douche.  Just hand it off to fucking Beast Mode! DUH!!

I actually rooted for the Patriots in that one because I was so mad about the NFC Championship Game.

Mad that the Seahawks were undeserving, or what caused you to be mad?

Just how the Seahawks won that game, and how the Packers kinda gave it to them.  It felt like the Seahawks were getting every single break possible.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 12, 2024, 12:01:15 PM
I'm really surprised the NFL is going to allow a game to be played at Kansas City Saturday night. by the end of the game, the expected temperature is -3 with a wind chill of -22.

No rescheduling games if it's not going to be colder than the Ice Bowl. :bigass:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

And the roads near Buffalo are now expected to be impassable.

webny99

Quote from: Big John on January 12, 2024, 04:12:13 PM
And the roads near Buffalo are now expected to be impassable.

Bills stadium in Orchard Park gets hammered with almost every early season lake effect snow event (using "early season" loosely because Nov/Dec were so mild). That being said, projected snowfall totals for Saturday night-Sunday are currently 1 foot with up to 30 inches in the most intense bands. That's a lot, but still relatively tame by Buffalo Southtowns standards. Plus, the high winds and temperatures quickly dropping into the lower 20's will likely serve to reduce snowfall totals, even if the wind makes travel conditions worse. There's also bound to be the usual high variance, with the north side of Buffalo where many fans will be traveling from (including those traveling on the Thruway from Rochester etc.) seeing much less snowfall.

Throw in the fact that it's a 1PM game, and there's a high chance the weather impacts the game, but a pretty low chance it gets moved or rescheduled.

epzik8

Loved seeing Jim Cantore on Pat McAfee today to talk about the weather situations for some of the wild card games.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: epzik8 on January 12, 2024, 09:25:37 PM
Loved seeing Jim Cantore on Pat McAfee today to talk about the weather situations for some of the wild card games.

Anybody is a better guest than somebody spouting insane conspiracy theories.

tmoore952

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 12, 2024, 03:06:09 PM

No rescheduling games if it's not going to be colder than the Ice Bowl. :bigass:

When I was very young, this was the weekend when the Super Bowl was played. And always in a warm city like LA, Miami, or New Orleans. Which always turned out to be a neutral site since the Rams, Dolphins, or Saints never got in to a Super Bowl in their own stadium.

And so, I am not very sympathetic to the NFL schedlulng 6 games on this weekend (for their own greedy reasons) and them getting impacted by the one thing that can't control (weather). I feel sorry for the fans who are going to those cold/snowy games, but then again it's their choice.

I was the one who posted earlier about the Eagles-Bucs game being scheduled for Monday night of a 3-day weekend. And there were legitimate responses about solidifying most of the home teams before a 4/5 game (a 4/5 team would most likely not be hosting the next weekend, unless there were upsets in both 2/7 and 3/6). IMHO, they should be playing the Monday night game on Sunday night, but the NFL will do things the way it wants to do them.

I'm not the biggest NFL fan, I have no problem not watching. That would be the most effective statement I could make, although it won't make a damn bit of difference. Especially since 90% of the most watched TV shows in 2023 were NFL games.

One last thought --- boxing used to be very popular when I was young, and then it went by the wayside, after some televised deaths in the ring. It is not out of the realm of the possibility that the same thing could happen to the NFL in a few decades, but it probably won't be in my lifetime, nor in most of the people reading this.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 13, 2024, 11:30:03 AM

When I was very young, this was the weekend when the Super Bowl was played. And always in a warm city like LA, Miami, or New Orleans. Which always turned out to be a neutral site since the Rams, Dolphins, or Saints never got in to a Super Bowl in their own stadium.

And so, I am not very sympathetic to the NFL schedlulng 6 games on this weekend (for their own greedy reasons) and them getting impacted by the one thing that can't control (weather). I feel sorry for the fans who are going to those cold/snowy games, but then again it's their choice.

I was the one who posted earlier about the Eagles-Bucs game being scheduled for Monday night of a 3-day weekend. And there were legitimate responses about solidifying most of the home teams before a 4/5 game (a 4/5 team would most likely not be hosting the next weekend, unless there were upsets in both 2/7 and 3/6). IMHO, they should be playing the Monday night game on Sunday night, but the NFL will do things the way it wants to do them.

I'm not the biggest NFL fan, I have no problem not watching. That would be the most effective statement I could make, although it won't make a damn bit of difference. Especially since 90% of the most watched TV shows in 2023 were NFL games.

I wonder if we might be headed to a split season kind of how European soccer leagues do it. They take a break in mid-winter and then resume the season. The NFL could start a bit later in September, take a break in January, then resume in February, with the playoffs in March. Yes, that would screw March Madness but the NFL is king and can do what they want.

Big John

But rescheduling in case of snow.  PIT/BUF rescheduled to 4:30 ET Monday.

mgk920

The Packers would like to have some words with you . . .

Mike

02 Park Ave

Now that the game in Buffalo has been rescheduled, the NFL should move the Kansas City game to Sunday afternoon.  The temperature would not be as severe then.

There is always the possibility of the county stepping in as happened up in Erie County.
C-o-H

mgk920

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 13, 2024, 01:01:41 PM
Now that the game in Buffalo has been rescheduled, the NFL should move the Kansas City game to Sunday afternoon.  The temperature would not be as severe then.

There is always the possibility of the county stepping in as happened up in Erie County.

Heavy snow can be a real problem for travel.  Cold weather? "Bundle up!"  I've been to Packer games that were played in colder weather than expected tonight at Kansas City.

Mike

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mgk920 on January 13, 2024, 01:10:55 PM

Heavy snow can be a real problem for travel.  Cold weather? "Bundle up!"  I've been to Packer games that were played in colder weather than expected tonight at Kansas City.

Mike

According to https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/01/17/coldest-green-bay-packers-games-lambeau-field-history-after-ice-bowl/6526808001/ , no you haven't.  The coldest games, other than the Ice Bowl, are:

1/20/08: -1 degrees
12/26/93: 0 degrees
12/22/90: 3 degrees

webny99

Quote from: Big John on January 13, 2024, 12:48:54 PM

I think most Buffalo fans agree that's a bummer. At least Monday is sort of a holiday, and there's still a high likelihood of a more manageable snow game on Monday evening.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2024, 01:40:36 PM

I think most Buffalo fans agree that's a bummer. At least Monday is sort of a holiday, and there's still a high likelihood of a more manageable snow game on Monday evening.

That rescheduling is because Governor Hochul is implementing a full travel ban in Erie County beginning tonight. Can't have a game if you can't legally get to the stadium.

mgk920

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 13, 2024, 01:15:27 PM

Mike

According to https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2022/01/17/coldest-green-bay-packers-games-lambeau-field-history-after-ice-bowl/6526808001/ , no you haven't.  The coldest games, other than the Ice Bowl, are:

I don't rely much on Gannett to get things like that right.

There was a playoff game that was played in Cincinnati in (1983?) that was -5/-8f and windy at game time, also a night night playoff game in Green Bay v. the Giants in the mid 00s that was below 0F at game time.  Also, the Raiders at Green Bay 'first Lambeau Leap' game was +2f at game time.

Mike

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on January 13, 2024, 01:44:43 PM

There was a playoff game that was played in Cincinnati in (1983?) that was -5/-8f and windy at game time, also a night playoff game in Green Bay v. the Giants in the mid 00s that was below 0F at game time.  Also, the Raiders at Green Bay 'first Lambeau Leap' game was +2f at game time.

Mike
Game in Cincinnati was in January 1982.  Giants game was January 2008.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on January 13, 2024, 01:43:52 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 13, 2024, 01:40:36 PM

That rescheduling is because Governor Hochul is implementing a full travel ban in Erie County beginning tonight. Can't have a game if you can't legally get to the stadium.

Attention-grabbing move IMO. The majority of the region - quite possibly including the majority of Erie County! - isn't even forecasted to get more than a foot. And even for the Southtowns, forecasted storm totals have been ticking down over the last 24 hours.

tmoore952

Quote from: mgk920 on January 13, 2024, 01:44:43 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 13, 2024, 01:15:27 PM

Mike

There was a playoff game that was played in Cincinnati in (1983?) that was -5/-8f and windy at game time, also a night night playoff game in Green Bay v. the Giants in the mid 00s that was below 0F at game time.  Also, the Raiders at Green Bay 'first Lambeau Leap' game was +2f at game time.

Mike
I think the link was for games at "Lambeau Field only", if I am reading the link right. That wouldn't include the one non-Lambeau game you are mentioning at Cincinnati.

The Cincinnati game was on 1/10/82. According to Wikipedia the temperature was -9 F (didn't say when in the game that temp was, not that it really matters), with a 27 MPH sustained wind. It started at 1 PM EST.

I was at a friend's house that afternoon (in Delaware) and I remember that day being rather cold, and that game being on the TV.

FWIW, there is the players health themselves to consider. On that same Wikipedia article, it is mentioned that Kellen Winslow and Ken Anderson are still feeling residual effects of the frostbite they got that day.

hobsini2

My NFL playoff bracket:
AFC Wild Card
2 Buffalo over 7 Pittsburgh
3 Kansas City over 6 Miami
5 Cleveland over 4 Houston

AFC Divisional
2 Buffalo over 3 Kansas City
1 Baltimore over5 Cleveland

AFC Championship
2 Buffalo over 1 Baltimore

NFC Wild Card
7 Green Bay over 2 Dallas
3 Detroit over 4 LA Rams
4 Tampa Bay over 5 Philadelphia

NFC Divisional
1 San Francisco over 7 Green Bay
3 Detroit over 4 Tampa Bay

NFC Championship
1 San Francisco over 3 Detroit

Super Bowl
Buffalo 24 San Francisco 20
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tmoore952

Since the Eagles season will likely be done no later than next weekend, I hope it comes out what the hell has been going on with them the last two months.

At least two ESPN talking heads have said that they think the problem goes deeper than players and coaches --- possibly into the front office and ownership.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 13, 2024, 02:37:06 PM
Since the Eagles season will likely be done no later than next weekend, I hope it comes out what the hell has been going on with them the last two months.

At least two ESPN talking heads have said that they think the problem goes deeper than players and coaches --- possibly into the front office and ownership.
That's what Talking Heads do. I'm not disputing they're 1-5 in their last six games, but they're probably the most talked about playoff team needing a full change of staff.

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 13, 2024, 03:24:26 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on January 13, 2024, 02:37:06 PM

That's what Talking Heads do. I'm not disputing they're 1-5 in their last six games, but they're probably the most talked about playoff team needing a full change of staff.
No one knows except those on the inside.

I thought that 10-1 was a mirage. And especially so when you looked at the points allowed column.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.