News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

Didn't realize it had been 30 years (well, 29 really) since SF won the SB. They won so many back there in a relatively short time (5 in 13 years).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 06, 2024, 07:30:05 PM
Didn't realize it had been 30 years (well, 29 really) since SF won the SB. They won so many back there in a relatively short time (5 in 13 years).

And while the first decade of the 2000s were leaner years, they've been soundly back to form in the 2010s, but haven't been able to recapture the Lombardi.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Amusing how much better the same time period looks for the 49ers versus nearly the same for the Cowboys.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2024, 05:54:43 PM
Amusing how much better the same time period looks for the 49ers versus nearly the same for the Cowboys.

At least this century, there is very little overlap in terms of when they lose in the playoffs. The Cowboys always lose in the first two rounds while the 49ers always lose in the second two rounds (with a pair of early exits in 2001/2002 but then 7-0 in the divisional round since 2010 with four title game losses, two Super Bowl losses, and one TBD).

Hunty2022

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is (unsurprisingly) the MVP for his second time. Congrats to him!

Browns QB Joe Flacco is Comeback Player of the Year, which is what I think is right.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

It is interesting that Flacco narrowly edged out Damar Hamlin in Comeback Player of the Year voting. Not saying right or wrong, but Hamlin has been the presumed winner ever since he recovered from going into cardiac arrest on the field last season. It seems some voters put more emphasis on the improvement in on-field play this season rather than the scale and nature of what the player was coming back from.

tmoore952

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2024, 11:40:24 PM
It is interesting that Flacco narrowly edged out Damar Hamlin in Comeback Player of the Year voting. Not saying right or wrong, but Hamlin has been the presumed winner ever since he recovered from going into cardiac arrest on the field last season. It seems some voters put more emphasis on the improvement in on-field play this season rather than the scale and nature of what the player was coming back from.

I just hope the voters voted without any outside influences.
I get a gnawing feeling that the NFL would like the cardiac arrest episode to just go away, and Hamlin getting that award doesn't help with that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2024, 11:40:24 PM

Why should it be anything else?  Isn't that the intent of the award?

Here's Hamlin's stats:  He played in 5 games, and had 2 tackles. Is there anything that says "Comeback player of the year"?  And not for nothing - he was decent in 2022, but tied for 71st with 91 tackles.

Hamlin's cardiac arrest was unusual in that it occurred on the field, during the game, on live TV and then rebroadcasted everywhere.  What if it happened while at home, or on the practice field, where it would've been more private without cameras rolling?  Would people have named that person a presumed winner in the comeback category?  A lot of players have health issues and injuries, and come back strong.

Is it great that Hamlin came back?  Absolutely.  Is it award worthy?  At least not in this category it's not.

webny99

It still depends on how you interpret the concept of a comeback. There is plenty of precedent for players coming back from injury/physical impairment to win the award, in fact in recent years it has been the case more often than not.

I agree with a take I saw somewhere last night that there should be two separate awards, one for Most Improved Player that's specific to on-field improvement, and one for Comeback Player (or call it something else if you wish) that's specific to players making a return from injury.

epzik8

Pat McAfee took the words out of my mouth when he said during his progrum earlier that this year's MVP was Lamar's to lose, though I'm still desperate for a non-QB to win it again.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jgb191

DeMeco Ryans got royally robbed for Coach of the Year.    I don't know if there had ever been a rookie head coach who took a team that won just three wins last year to eleven wins, including a playoff win this season.  The Texans were almost universally predicted to finish dead last once again in the preseason.  He massively transformed the entire culture of the organization; he thoroughly outcoached everybody else in the NFL. 

Also I would have understood if Puka Nacua won Offensive Rookie of the Year over CJ; Puka accomplished somethings no other rookie in history has ever pulled off; but CJ also deserved the award.  I would have insisted on co-Rookies of the Year.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

thspfc

My complaints with the awards:

1) Puka should have been OROY

2) agree that CPOY and Most Improved should be separated, with Hamlin getting CPOY due to the circumstance he had to come back from to play at all, and Mayfield getting most improved. Both Baker and Flacco were backup caliber players last year, and while Flacco's resurgence was impressive, he played for a month while Baker played for the whole season. Flacco also had way too many turnovers.

tmoore952

Rooting more for SF than KC. Have more dislike for KC team (after last year, being a Philly fan) than like for SF (but in the same breath, I do feel that Shanahan has paid his dues). 

tmoore952

Heard on a radio report that Chiefs and 49ers are staying away from the strip (makes sense, keeps them out of trouble), but they didn't say where. When I investigated further, I saw they are staying at Lake Las Vegas, which is due east of downtown (about 15-20 miles) and due north of Henderson.

Henry

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 09, 2024, 08:33:15 PM
Rooting more for SF than KC. Have more dislike for KC team (after last year, being a Philly fan) than like for SF (but in the same breath, I do feel that Shanahan has paid his dues). 
Not to mention that Taylor Swift will have to jet quickly to Las Vegas after her concert marathon in Tokyo.

It's going to be interesting who the former Oakland Raiders fans will be rooting for more: Do they go with their old cross-bay neighbors, or a perennial division rival? I feel that it would be more of the former than the latter, especially since the Raiders now play in the host stadium.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Hunty2022

It's Super Bowl day!! I'll make my official score guess now.

KC wins 31-30 on an SF missed extra point.

jeffandnicole

Since there was a lack of football block pools this year to play, I made some legal bets in NJ. 

Each ticket $10 each: 

The coin toss to be tails.  (If I win, I get $19.50 back).
Jersey Number of first TD scorer: 80-99 (wins $43).
Any kickoff to be returned for a TD (wins $210).
Any FG 60+ yards (wins $360). 
And a 6 way parlay of both Purdy & Mahomes throwing INTs, Jake Moody kicking 7 or more points, Harrison Butker kicking 8 or more points, Travis Kelce getting 100+ receiving yards, and the total points being 55 or greater (wins $760).

plain

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 11, 2024, 10:22:57 AM
Since there was a lack of football block pools this year to play, I made some legal bets in NJ. 

Each ticket $10 each: 

And a 6 way parlay of both Purdy & Mahomes throwing INTs, Jake Moody kicking 7 or more points, Harrison Butker kicking 8 or more points, Travis Kelce getting 100+ receiving yards, and the total points being 55 or greater (wins $760).

Those are some gutsy bets. Might pay off big time for you though.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jeffandnicole

Quote from: plain on February 11, 2024, 11:04:54 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 11, 2024, 10:22:57 AM

Each ticket $10 each: 

Those are some gutsy bets. Might pay off big time for you though.

The relative safe bets (who will win, over/under, etc) don't pay out much unless you're willing to risk a lot.  Note the coin toss - the odds are the same regardless if Heads or Tails was picked; I bet 10, get 19.50 back if I win, and the house basically wins 50 cents, so they always have some sort of edge.  So having some fun on the "Specials" as the betting terminal terms it: unusual prop bets.

And of course this is low money.  Many of those placing bets are spending big money.  Bigger than I'm willing to wager.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 11, 2024, 07:25:58 PM
Nickelodeon is broadcasting the Super Bowl with SpongeBob and Patrick commentating. I was surprised by this for some reason.
Sweet victory incoming.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 11, 2024, 07:44:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 11, 2024, 07:42:05 PM
Nickelodeon is broadcasting the Super Bowl with SpongeBob and Patrick commentating. I was surprised by this for some reason.
Sweet victory incoming.
We need confirmation that Mayonnaise is in fact an instrument.

In regard to horseradish..

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hunty2022

Sweet victory incoming.
No, Plutonic Panda, mayonnaise is not an instrument.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 11, 2024, 08:50:15 PM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on February 11, 2024, 08:47:21 PM
Sweet victory incoming.
No, Plutonic Panda, mayonnaise is not an instrument.
:wave:
Horse radish is not an instrument either.

Hunty2022

The KANSAS CITY CHIEFS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS, AGAIN!!!

thspfc

I don't recall if we had a hunch during Super Bowl 55 that we were watching the two greatest QBs to ever play the game . . .

Yes, Mahomes has now surpassed Manning and Montana, and I don't even think it's up for debate. To come back from 10 points down and pull off multiple incredibly clutch drives in the 4th quarter/OT of the Super Bowl three times? The man is ridiculous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.