News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on February 12, 2024, 11:08:39 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 11, 2024, 11:23:00 PM
QuoteAlso, the new playoff OT rules have been weirdly under-discussed. Like what happens if there's a defensive score or a safety on the first possession? Is it game over or does the team that just scored still get an offensive possession? And what happens if (as came very close to happening tonight) each team has not completed their initial "guaranteed" possession by the end of the first overtime period? Do they have to score before 0:00 just like in regulation or does the clock keep rolling into a second overtime? Definitely questions to find answers to this offseason.

I thought this was resolved in the Hail Flacco game when Peyton Manning did not throw the INT until the 2nd OT. 

QuoteAfter the first three drives of overtime ended in punts, Corey Graham made his second interception of a pass from Manning intended for Stokley on the Broncos 45-yard line. On the last play of the first overtime period, Rice's 11-yard run moved the Ravens into field goal range. Four plays later, rookie kicker Justin Tucker kicked a 47-yard field goal to win the game.

Whoops, missed this earlier. Yes, if the score was tied it would go to a second OT, but in this case what if the score was not tied (49ers lead 22-19) and the Chiefs had not ended their first possession by the time the first OT period was over? Turns out the game would still continue into a 2nd OT period, as noted by Mapmikey upthread.

Although it is probably physically impossible, an interesting hypothetical is if both teams' first possession has not ended by the end of the 2nd quarter of OT. By definition, a possession ends at the end of the 2nd quarter.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tmoore952

I "thought" I heard the referee say at the beginning of the overtime that both teams would get a possession unless there was a defensive score on the first possession (so going to last night, if the Chiefs had gotten a pick six on the 49ers first OT drive, the game would have been immediately over). I was watching the game alone and could hear what the referee was saying.

The thing I am somewhat unclear on is the following - if the first two possessions occur and the game is still tied --- then it becomes sudden death? I suspect that it does.

Romo indicated just before the last play that the end of the first OT period was like the end of the first quarter, so if that is the case, they would have just continued at the other end of the field (like they would have in any regular season second quarter) had that first OT ended before the game did. This is different than the regular season, where you can never play more than one OT period.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 12, 2024, 11:22:45 AM
I "thought" I heard the referee say at the beginning of the overtime that both teams would get a possession unless there was a defensive score on the first possession (so going to last night, if the Chiefs had gotten a pick six on the 49ers first OT drive, the game would have been immediately over). I was watching the game alone and could hear what the referee was saying.

The thing I am somewhat unclear on is the following - if the first two possessions occur and the game is still tied --- then it becomes sudden death? I suspect that it does.

Romo indicated just before the last play that the end of the first OT period was like the end of a quarter, so if that is the case, they would have just continued at the other end of the field had that first OT ended before the game did.

Yes, a defensive score on the first possession ends the game because the offense failed to score on the first possession and the defense has scored.

If a playoff game is tied after each team has had one possession, the game then becomes sudden death.

The timing rules run exactly like a game starting from the first quarter. After a 15 minute quarter (which we almost reached), the teams switch sides and the possession resumes. After the second quarter, there is a halftime (no idea if Usher has to perform again) and a second half kickoff. If you reach the end of the 4th quarter, there is another coin toss to start the 5th quarter, though this time the game is sudden death immediately.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 12, 2024, 12:06:22 AM
A crazy thing is, there hasn't been a Super Bowl champion with this much room for improvement entering the next season in a long time. Last year they had a mediocre WR room and a younger Kelce. This year their WR room went from medicore to one of the worst in the league, and Kelce started to show age for the first time, suggesting he's now past his prime. But, of course, the defense became one of the league's best. Last year's offense with this year's defense is a team that could contend for 17-0.

Except for last year's Chiefs? That team had a lot more room for improvement than this year's team. Last years defense gave up 35 points in the Super Bowl so the offense had to be perfect all game. This year's team was much more balanced and has very little to improve on defense and the playoffs showed that the offense has plenty of talent too, even though it took until January to put it all together.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 12, 2024, 07:22:16 AM
For everybody who was torching Dan Campbell for not taking field goals two weeks ago:

49ers had opportunities to go for it on 4th down in both of their last two possessions and took the field goals. In the 4th quarter, all the 49ers had to do was convert that 4th down, run the clock down and then kick the FG with no time left. Game over.

In OT, they could have gone for it on 4th down to try to get the TD which gives them the opportunity to win in sudden death on their next possession if the Chiefs get the tying touchdown.

All true, especially the 4th down at the end of regulation, but still a few ironies here:

1) the blocked XP arguably mattered more than any of those decisions (Chiefs probably still win it with a TD, but you'd put a lot more pressure on with an expiring game clock and no falling back on a FG)
2) if they failed to convert in OT, the Chiefs have Mahomes and Butker and only need a FG so you'd have to accept that if you fail, you lose
3) knowing the 49ers play so conservatively under Shanahan is actually part of the reason Campbell should have taken the field goals!

vdeane

Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 11, 2024, 11:16:26 PM
Ugh. Can't wait for more Taylor Swift spam.
It's the Superbowl (Taylor's Version).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on February 12, 2024, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 11, 2024, 11:16:26 PM
Ugh. Can't wait for more Taylor Swift spam.
It's the Superbowl (Taylor's Version).
It's her world.  Her boyfriend only plays football in it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Didn't see anyone comment on it, but I thought the halftime show was right up there with my favorites. Usher probably tied Gaga for best performance in the last 10 years for me.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 12, 2024, 11:32:18 AM
A crazy thing is, there hasn't been a Super Bowl champion with this much room for improvement entering the next season in a long time. Last year they had a mediocre WR room and a younger Kelce. This year their WR room went from medicore to one of the worst in the league, and Kelce started to show age for the first time, suggesting he's now past his prime. But, of course, the defense became one of the league's best. Last year's offense with this year's defense is a team that could contend for 17-0.

Except for last year's Chiefs? That team had a lot more room for improvement than this year's team. Last years defense gave up 35 points in the Super Bowl so the offense had to be perfect all game. This year's team was much more balanced and has very little to improve on defense and the playoffs showed that the offense has plenty of talent too, even though it took until January to put it all together.
Strongly disagree. Their offense nosedived from last year to this year. Went from being statistically one of the best ever to being a little above league average, in a year full of major QB injuries that left teams reeling. If you just look at all the results from those respective seasons, it's very obvious that the team regressed. Perhaps their ceiling entering next year is the same as it was entering this year (as I said, if they get back to where they were on offense and maintain this level on defense, they could go 17-0). But the point they're starting from is clearly lower this time. That equals more room for improvement.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 12, 2024, 01:28:51 PM

Strongly disagree. Their offense nosedived from last year to this year. Went from being statistically one of the best ever to being a little above league average, in a year full of major QB injuries that left teams reeling. If you just look at all the results from those respective seasons, it's very obvious that the team regressed. Perhaps their ceiling entering next year is the same as it was entering this year (as I said, if they get back to where they were on offense and maintain this level on defense, they could go 17-0). But the point they're starting from is clearly lower this time. That equals more room for improvement.

Sure, if you're only looking at one side of the ball. The defense was mediocre last season but started at a much higher level this season and stayed there all season.

But considering how well the offense played in the playoffs, the point they're starting from is only lower if you look at the regular season offense without the playoff offense, which doesn't make sense to me. They've already cashed in on some of that improvement potential based on their playoff run, so you can't really back up to where they were at the end of the regular season and say they still have that much room for improvement. The starting point is that they will be as good as they are now when they return to the field in September, not as good as they were in the regular season.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 12, 2024, 02:40:52 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 12, 2024, 01:28:51 PM

Sure, if you're only looking at one side of the ball. The defense was mediocre last season but started at a much higher level this season and stayed there all season.
I didn't say anything that contradicts that.

But considering how well the offense played in the playoffs, the point they're starting from is only lower if you look at the regular season offense without the playoff offense, which doesn't make sense to me. They've already cashed in on some of that improvement potential based on their playoff run, so you can't really back up to where they were at the end of the regular season and say they still have that much room for improvement. The starting point is that they will be as good as they are now when they return to the field in September, not as good as they were in the regular season.
They scored 3 points in the first 2.5 quarters and one touchdown in regulation, which was off a gift-wrapped turnover. They scored 0 points in the second half against the Ravens. Throughout the playoffs, they scored more field goals than touchdowns.

The best thing you can say is that they came up with the big drives when they needed them, which they obviously did. But it's clear that the defense was the better unit, and that's unexpected from a team that has Mahomes.

jlam

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 12, 2024, 01:14:34 PM
Didn't see anyone comment on it, but I thought the halftime show was right up there with my favorites. Usher probably tied Gaga for best performance in the last 10 years for me.
Katy Perry has been the best over the past ten years for me. Of course, nothing beats Prince in '07.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jlam on February 12, 2024, 03:27:47 PM
Katy Perry has been the best over the past ten years for me. Of course, nothing beats Prince in '07.

My top ten:

XXVII: Michael Jackson
XLVI: Madonna
XLII: Tom Petty
XLVIII: Bruno Mars
LI: Lady Gaga
LIII: Maroon 5
LVII: Rhianna
LVI: Dr Dre/Snoop Dog/Eminem/Mary J Blige/Kendrick Lamar
LV: The Weeknd
LII: Justin Timberlake

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: epzik8 on February 12, 2024, 09:11:38 AM
I would have wanted McCaffrey or Jennings from the 49ers as SBMVP IF they held on.
Jennings would have deserved it. He was the first non-QB to both throw and catch a TD pass in the Super Bowl, and only the second player ever to do it. He was having a career night.

Nothing beats Prince, but last night's halftime show was absolutely top tier. The past few years have really hit it out of the park (to use an analogy from the wrong sport).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jeffandnicole

I joked that people already had their social media posts ready to go to show their hatred for the halftime show.  And while a few voiced their opinion the moment the show was done, it actually was a limited few that did.  Overall, people did seem fairly ok with this year's show.

Big John

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 12, 2024, 03:50:14 PM
Quote from: jlam on February 12, 2024, 03:27:47 PM

My top ten:

XXVII: Michael Jackson
XLVI: Madonna
XLII: Tom Petty
XLVIII: Bruno Mars
LI: Lady Gaga
LIII: Maroon 5
LVII: Rhianna
LVI: Dr Dre/Snoop Dog/Eminem/Mary J Blige/Kendrick Lamar
LV: The Weeknd
LII: Justin Timberlake
Best was U2 with their tribute for 9/11.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2024, 04:35:46 PM

I joked that people already had their social media posts ready to go to show their hatred for the halftime show.  And while a few voiced their opinion the moment the show was done, it actually was a limited few that did.  Overall, people did seem fairly ok with this year's show.

I feel like Usher is pretty inoffensive to fans of a bunch of different genres. Even if you don't listen to his music, his talent (singing and dancing, both) is pretty evident right away.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 12, 2024, 03:57:21 PM
I would have wanted McCaffrey or Jennings from the 49ers as SBMVP IF they held on.
Jennings would have deserved it. He was the first non-QB to both throw and catch a TD pass in the Super Bowl, and only the second player ever to do it. He was having a career night.

In a game where two of the game's top offenses were tied at 19 after regulation, the defenses were clearly more valuable, but the fatal flaw of the MVP award is that it's much harder to pick a single person from a defense. I'd have voted for Chris Jones.

Big John

There is a very strong bias to give the MVP award to the QB of the winning team.

MikieTimT

I called out to the others at the SB party how the game was going to go right after the blocked PAT made a tie at the end of regulation possible.  Right down to the score after the 2nd coin flip.  And that's with watching virtually no football this season, even though the Chiefs have been my favorite team since Montana came over to them from the 49ers, which was my favorite team before that, mainly due to him.  So, I wouldn't have been heartbroken either way this turned out, but this plays out the same too much for it to have gone any other way.

Any else's party have a drink every time they cut over to Taylor?

Anyone else think that the whole Kelse/Swift thing is inevitably going to result in fodder for 1-2 more songs for her?

kurumi

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 12, 2024, 05:15:23 PM
Anyone else think that the whole Kelse/Swift thing is inevitably going to result in fodder for 1-2 more songs for her?

Quote from: "4th Down", by Taylor Swift
(lead-in to chorus) you didn't go for it on
(D major) 4th down; like this relationship is
(A major) not important to you, how can I
(b minor) love you as much as I'm able, when you're
(G major) leaving points on the table? Go for it on

("4th down" ... repeat chorus one more time)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Best halftime show: Carol Channing, Super Bowl IV
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 12, 2024, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 12, 2024, 03:57:21 PM

In a game where two of the game's top offenses were tied at 19 after regulation, the defenses were clearly more valuable, but the fatal flaw of the MVP award is that it's much harder to pick a single person from a defense. I'd have voted for Chris Jones.
Mahomes was the 100% unquestioned MVP of that game. We don't need to get cute with it. Take him out and the 49ers win by double digits.

Big John

Quote from: Rothman on February 12, 2024, 06:04:52 PM
Best halftime show: Carol Channing, Super Bowl IV
She was in Super Bowl VI.

Rothman

Henry

First time since the 2003-04 Patriots that a team has repeated as the Super Bowl champion. Also, the second one to go to OT, after the infamous 28-3 debacle from Super Bowl LI. Let's admit it now, Patrick Mahomes is the second coming of Tom Brady, with Travis Kelce in Rob Gronkowski's role and Andy Reid in Bill Belichick's. Daresay a three-peat for next year? Of course, no team has ever done it (not even those Patriots of the era recently gone by), but the Chiefs are more than capable of it, so never say never.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.