News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on February 21, 2024, 03:46:35 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 21, 2024, 02:20:51 PM
Re: the Fields conversation, I think thspfc and webny99 are both missing another option/angle here.

If they're still not sure on Fields, but they're optimistic, they could basically stall by trading the pick to someone who they think will be bad next year no matter what they do. I know it's not an exact science, but I think most of us had Carolina (whose pick Chicago is using) in the bottom 3 in the NFL before the season started. If Chicago can get the exact same kind of deal as they did last year (very high pick this year, a first rounder next year, plus stuff), it kicks the can down the line for one more year and they'll have more time to evaluate. Obviously, if they think Caleb Williams is the second coming of Patrick Mahomes (take that, Brady lovers) then this doesn't work. But if they just think he's a, say, Herbert quality QB at worst? They could just wait until the 2025 draft and replace Fields then. It's not Williams vs. Fields; it's Williams vs. Fields for a year and then they can figure it out.

That makes sense to me, and I would certainly expect them to be selective about who they trade the pick to if they do trade it.

But... your last sentence gives me pause because on the off chance Fields regresses, his trade value (which I think would be pretty high right now) could go down significantly, and there's no guarantee there will be any top QB prospects in 2025. If it's a repeat of 2022 with no potential franchise altering QB talents while Williams balls out somewhere else, that's a big yikes too.

That's why you have to get a haul in this trade. I would argue that the QBs in this class are graded higher than they were last year. So, the Bears should be able to get even more this year. That helps offset any possible losses from a drastic Fields regression.

jlam

Da Bears should sign Mitch Trubisky in free agency. They should then trade Fields to the Steelers or something along with their 1st pick to get Najee and/or Pickens.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jlam on February 21, 2024, 04:01:58 PM
Da Bears should sign Mitch Trubisky in free agency. They should then trade Fields to the Steelers or something along with their 1st pick to get Najee and/or Pickens.

So bring back the QB they were already done with??
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 21, 2024, 03:40:58 PM
As I said, everyone in that organization is on thin ice, and simply avoiding a monumental bust won't be enough to save them. They need to make it happen now, and they need to go with whichever QB gives them the best chance to do that. Another year of mediocre play from both Fields and the team as a whole will have them all fired.

The picks they could get from trading down should significantly improve the roster, and that plus further improvement from Fields should be enough to make the playoffs. If it's not, it's a failure by both the coach and GM and they should be fired regardless.

All that is to say, I'll take a 50% chance over a 10% chance. If that means sacrificing draft picks, so be it. Those draft picks won't look so nice when the entire team is being held back by a subpar QB again.

We just disagree on those percentages. Of becoming a locked-in franchise starter, I'd say 50% is the upper end of fair for Williams, but I'd say more like 30-35% for Fields factoring in the dual threat potential. Honestly, Fields' inability to win close games is more concerning to me than the pure talent. But some of that blame falls on the coaching, too (remember when he essentially blamed the coaches for overloading him with information, slowing down his processing). I think if they draft better protection and he can develop his passing game a bit, they should be good enough to not be playing from behind all the time and for the close game thing not to matter as much - sort of like Ravens-lite. That always seemed to be the vision of this coach/GM, but drafting Williams feels like a pretty big departure from that.

If you think Fields showed enough this year to make it the right choice at this moment, all things considered including draft capital, to stick with him over Williams? Be my guest. None of us have a crystal ball. But if you don't think so - if you agree that moving on is optimal - then I just don't understand how you bring yourself to these conclusions.
Of course I don't know what the right choice is. I just see a lot of risk both ways and think having the #1 pick is a huge opportunity but also a huge responsibility. From an organizational perspective, I'm not sure I would trust Poles and Eberflus to be the ones to make that decision - which is probably a sign they shouldn't have kept them! - but that ship has sailed.

Henry

Thanks to a lousy NBA All-Star Game in which the winning team broke 200 points for the first time ever, the Pro Bowl wins the TV ratings war this year.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Henry on February 21, 2024, 10:14:44 PM
Thanks to a lousy NBA All-Star Game in which the winning team broke 200 points for the first time ever, the Pro Bowl wins the TV ratings war this year.

There was a pro bowl this year? </s>

mgk920

I'm just seriously looking forward to this upcoming NFL season here in NE Wisconsin, The Packers have a VERY young team that is gelling and a highly competent front office that can hire and retain excellent coaches and draft similarly good players.  Life is good!  :cool:

Mike

jlam

Yeah, the Packers were looking very good at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the division next year, but the NFC North may be among the toughest divisions this season. Hopefully they have a good draft.

epzik8

I think the Giants potentially being in the running for Drake Maye says a lot about Daniel Jones.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

If I were the Patriots, I'd keep Mac Jones for at least one more year to see how well he works with Jerod Mayo, rather than go for a quarterback third overall.

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on March 01, 2024, 04:29:26 PM
If I were the Patriots, I'd keep Mac Jones for at least one more year to see how well he works with Jerod Mayo, rather than go for a quarterback third overall.

15 AFC teams want this for the Patriots.  ;-)

JayhawkCO

Russell Wilson being released by the Broncos. All of my takes proved correct. Now, as comeuppance, he'll sign with the Vikings. Then my fandom can be over.

epzik8

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 04, 2024, 04:29:24 PM
Russell Wilson being released by the Broncos. All of my takes proved correct. Now, as comeuppance, he'll sign with the Vikings. Then my fandom can be over.

Even with guaranteed money for the upcoming season, huh...

bing101

mgk920

The cap hit that the Broncos will be taking with cutting Wilson will be making the next few NFL seasons bleak for fans in the Front Range area.

Mike

DenverBrian

Quote from: mgk920 on March 05, 2024, 02:01:06 PM
The cap hit that the Broncos will be taking with cutting Wilson will be making the next few NFL seasons bleak for fans in the Front Range area.

Mike
And keeping Wilson's horrible, mediocre play would make the next few NFL seasons bleak for fans. So, it's slightly, marginally better to cut him loose and work off the penalty.

Henry

I find it ironic that Wilson's done very well in my neck of the woods (leading the Seahawks to two Super Bowls and winning the first time around), but not that good in my brother Jeff's (no playoffs for the Broncos). Maybe he can come to Chicago and mentor Fields; I know it's highly unlikely that it happens, but it's something I would like to see.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

epzik8

So I guess Saquon Barkley is finally gone from the Giants???

JayhawkCO

Quote from: epzik8 on March 06, 2024, 10:53:34 AM
So I guess Saquon Barkley is finally gone from the Giants???

As always, it'll be interesting to see what the market is for RBs. I wouldn't mind my Vikings taking a stab at him since we released Mattison (and likely aren't re-signing Cousins) if the price is right, but I'm guessing someone like the Raiders will overpay.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: mgk920 on March 05, 2024, 02:01:06 PM

Mike

Typical Broncos fashion. Very typical. Yet another handful of playoff bids potentially wasted. They'll probably rotate through 20 different QB's and receivers, and maybe a handful less on defense, all the while the fandom ruses an idea to send the coach and ownership group their last thank you note ending with "please excuse yourself to the doorway on your left and don't let the door hit you in the ass as you depart" that may take a while to cop up.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

epzik8

Mitch Trubisky ending up in Buffalo further fuels my desire to see Mason Rudolph as the starter in Pittsburgh.

Ted$8roadFan

Breaking: Mac Jones is being traded from the Patriots to his hometown Jacksonville Jaguars.

epzik8

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 10, 2024, 11:32:46 AM
Breaking: Mac Jones is being traded from the Patriots to his hometown Jacksonville Jaguars.

Makes me wonder what the Jags are planning with Trevor Lawrence.

thspfc

Quote from: epzik8 on March 10, 2024, 11:42:56 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 10, 2024, 11:32:46 AM

Makes me wonder what the Jags are planning with Trevor Lawrence.
Nothing different. Jones is the backup.

In more significant news, the Chiefs are bringing back both Chris Jones and L'Jarius Sneed. Jones' new contract is an overpay for a DT that will be 35 by the time it expires, but I still think it's a good move. Reid and Kelce have limited years left. The team is going to need a reboot in a few seasons anyway, so for now, hold onto the guys that have won you Super Bowls as long as they're still productive. Mahomes will be 29 next season - he's likely at least halfway through his prime already. No time to waste. As for Sneed, by tagging him they buy themselves an extra year to find a more permanent option at starting corner opposite McDuffie, since they're obviously taking a WR in the first round this upcoming draft.

The Bucs also brought back two key players in Baker Mayfield and Mike Evans. They get Mayfield on a relatively cheap deal, which was pretty much the best case scenario. Evans' $26m/year deal is expensive, but it only being two years is favorable, considering Evans is 30.

Of course, the gamble is that if Evans continues to play at a near-elite level over the next two years, they'll be facing the dilemma of either a) giving a 32-year-old WR a record contract, or b) letting an elite WR walk in free agency, getting nothing in return.

I have a bold trade prediction: Justin Fields goes to the Ravens. With each day that passes, it becomes more clear that teams do not view him as a starter. Tyler Huntley is a free agent. Fields is a perfect scheme fit, better than Huntley, and Lamar has an injury history. Baltimore might also think they can flip him for a profit (in terms of draft capital) if he sits behind Lamar for a year and they trade him away in 2025 for more than what they paid in 2024.

TheHighwayMan3561

Russell Wilson will sign with the Steelers.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.