News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How to make your own forum

Started by tolbs17, February 28, 2021, 03:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 04, 2021, 07:44:18 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2021, 07:37:12 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 03, 2021, 10:25:30 PM
.... For example, if someone were to make a thread titled "webny99 sucks!" filled with insults, there is really no good reason to leave it public, since it serves no purpose other than to try to make you upset, and if it succeeds it could cause you to escalate the matter when you encounter that user in another thread. ....

Marf may be banned, but he lives on in memory!
And I made about US71 becoming a mod again and I didn't get in trouble

I was referring more to Marf starting various threads that opened with flat-out attacks on webny99. Far more overt and nasty attacks than the thread that was deleted from the Urban Planning board earlier this week–while that thread probably had to go, all the comments there were exceptionally civilized by comparison (although, given just how nasty Marf got, I suppose that's not necessarily saying much!).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2021, 11:19:33 PM
one thing I think might be valuable is a post or notification of some sort from the moderator when part of a discussion is removed.

This has been the case on two other forums I've participated in.  You'd get a PM from the mod.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 10:07:43 AM
one thing I think might be valuable is a post or notification of some sort from the moderator when part of a discussion is removed.

This has been the case on two other forums I've participated in.  You'd get a PM from the mod.

I could see that working as well, but unless it's somehow automated it could get a bit cumbersome. It's really relevant to everyone following thread, not just those who had post(s) removed.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2021, 01:10:50 PM

I could see that working as well, but unless it's somehow automated it could get a bit cumbersome. It's really relevant to everyone following thread, not just those who had post(s) removed.

I don't think it's necessarily relevant to others.

If someone's post was removed or edited, then it must be because it violated forum rules.  And if that's the case, then you've already read the reason why when you read the forum rules.  Only the person who wrote the post needs to have specific guidance.

On the other hand, if someone's else's post was removed or edited for some less-legitimate reason, then that's not your battle to fight.  It's the other person's battle.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 01:30:09 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2021, 01:10:50 PM

If someone's post was removed or edited, then it must be because it violated forum rules.  And if that's the case, then you've already read the reason why when you read the forum rules.  Only the person who wrote the post needs to have specific guidance.

On the other hand, if someone's else's post was removed or edited for some less-legitimate reason, then that's not your battle to fight.  It's the other person's battle.

I've had several of my posts removed when the entire subdiscussion was problematic, but I was clearly not at fault (sometimes a heated argument between A and B where I do a fact check or make a joke one-liner, or sometimes it's a single person who is the problem).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 04, 2021, 01:33:09 PM
I've had several of my posts removed when the entire subdiscussion was problematic, but I was clearly not at fault (sometimes a heated argument between A and B where I do a fact check or make a joke one-liner, or sometimes it's a single person who is the problem).

And that's a fight you could have taken up with the moderators.  It's not a fight that I should take up with them, so I don't need to know what went on.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Usually, we only send a message upon removing a post as part of a formal warning through the board's warning system. This warning system allows us to issue up to 100 points to a user. When a user reaches 31 or more points, a moderator must approve each of the user's posts before it is displayed to the public. At 90 or more points, the user is muted and cannot post at all. One point expires per day, so a user's warning level will degrade naturally.

Basically, if a post is removed without a message being sent, the matter is more or less considered settled by the removal, and we didn't feel  additional admonishment through PM was warranted. I can appreciate that this may sometimes be baffling, though, so I can definitely start providing a PM to the members in question whenever I remove posts.

We do check context when deciding when to remove posts. A post will still be removed even if it doesn't violate the rules, if removal of other posts results in the context of the given post being missing. The idea is that we don't want a straggler post clearly referring to something that is missing causing a side discussion about what was there before, which returns the conversation to the topic that caused the posts to be removed anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 01:30:09 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 01:36:23 PM

And that's a fight you could have taken up with the moderators.  It's not a fight that I should take up with them, so I don't need to know what went on.

I don't think the removal of the posts themselves is the issue. I'm not thinking of it as a matter of "guidance" or "taking up a fight" so much as a matter of general interest to forum users, so they don't think they're going crazy in "now you see it, now you don't" post removal scenarios. Especially if they posted to a thread and then later can't find the post/discussion.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2021, 01:49:24 PM
Basically, if a post is removed without a message being sent, the matter is more or less considered settled by the removal, and we didn't feel  additional admonishment through PM was warranted. I can appreciate that this may sometimes be baffling, though, so I can definitely start providing a PM to the members in question whenever I remove posts.

I can't speak for others, but I would appreciate that as long as it's not too cumbersome from your standpoint. Even a single message to everyone affected using BCC would probably work.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2021, 03:11:33 PM
I don't think the removal of the posts themselves is the issue. I'm not thinking of it as a matter of "guidance" or "taking up a fight" so much as a matter of general interest to forum users, so they don't think they're going crazy in "now you see it, now you don't" post removal scenarios. Especially if they posted to a thread and then later can't find the post/discussion.

Well, if I were a moderator, then I wouldn't consider "general interest" a very good reason to make corrective action publicly visible.

If a user had his or her own post removed and can't find it later, then yeah, that person should have received notification about what happened.  But it isn't like it's my right to know what happened to one of your posts.

(I've had posts removed with no PM from a mod.  Maybe some purple text, maybe not.  But I also knew I had it coming.)
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Really, the best course of action when multiple posts are removed should be a single line of purple text from the mod:

Removed posts discussing religion.
Personal attacks removed from thread.
Edited posts to remove gratuitous profanity.

Etc.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 03:17:54 PM

(I've had posts removed with no PM from a mod.  Maybe some purple text, maybe not.  But I also knew I had it coming.)

As have I, as recently as this week, and I had a pretty good sense the most recent one would be deleted when I made my comment, although I was careful to try to word it as neutrally as possible.

webny99

Well, if I were a moderator, then I wouldn't consider "general interest" a very good reason to make corrective action publicly visible.

If a user had his or her own post removed and can't find it later, then yeah, that person should have received notification about what happened.  But it isn't like it's my right to know what happened to one of your posts.

That's fair. When I originally suggested a post to the thread rather than a PM, my thought was that someone following the thread could say "Hey, weren't we talking about [topic X]?" or "What happened to [discussion Y]?" or something similar, and that would re-open the can of worms (no, not this one  ;-)).

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 03:23:22 PM
Really, the best course of action when multiple posts are removed should be a single line of purple text from the mod:

Well, that was what I was thinking all along. How often does a single post get removed? Not very often, if ever?

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2021, 03:28:39 PM

As have I, as recently as this week. ...

Same here, and probably a different thread than you were referring to judging from my memory and the context.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2021, 03:37:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2021, 03:28:39 PM

As have I, as recently as this week. ...

Same here, and probably a different thread than you were referring to judging from my memory and the context.

I don't recall you posting in the thread I reference. It's on the Urban Planning subforum and the thread is an obvious parody of one particular poster, but Alps modified it (and deleted a bunch of posts) to make it less blatantly obvious which poster that is. I assume I need not, and probably should not, say who it is.

kphoger

Well, at least you possess a grain of wisdom.  Or even a dozen grains of wisdom.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:08:52 PM
Well, at least you possess a grain of wisdom.  Or even a dozen grains of wisdom.

Ooh... I think I see what you did there. Very clever.

renegade

Usually, we only send a message upon removing a post as part of a formal warning through the board's warning system. This warning system allows us to issue up to 100 points to a user. When a user reaches 31 or more points, a moderator must approve each of the user's posts before it is displayed to the public. At 90 or more points, the user is muted and cannot post at all. One point expires per day, so a user's warning level will degrade naturally.
Is there a way for the average user to know how many points they have, or is this something that's internal and only shared between the administrators?  Asking for a friend.   :spin:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hotdogPi

Quote from: renegade on March 04, 2021, 04:22:55 PM
Is there a way for the average user to know how many points they have, or is this something that's internal and only shared between the administrators?  Asking for a friend.   :spin:

If you don't see any number for yourself, you're at 0.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2021, 10:52:59 PM
That's actually a feature, not a bug -- and what I miss most about misc.transport.road. You had the ability to silence anyone you wanted in your own feed through the use of killfiles. Others were free to engage or not if they wished.

Bear with me, as I've never been on misc.transport.road.  But wouldn't that also prevent you from seeing valuable posts by that user as well?  I mean, if I had "silenced" NE2 years ago, then I wouldn't get to reap the benefits of his encyclopedic knowledge about 80-year-old highway routings.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:26:49 PM
That's actually a feature, not a bug -- and what I miss most about misc.transport.road. You had the ability to silence anyone you wanted in your own feed through the use of killfiles. Others were free to engage or not if they wished.

Bear with me, as I've never been on misc.transport.road.  But wouldn't that also prevent you from seeing valuable posts by that user as well?  I mean, if I had "silenced" NE2 years ago, then I wouldn't get to reap the benefits of his encyclopedic knowledge about 80-year-old highway routings.

dzlsabe, on the other hand...

webny99

Quote from: 1 on March 04, 2021, 04:23:50 PM

Yes, this is correct. I learned this the hard way once. You would know if you had points, not only because you'd get a PM from a mod, but also because your warning level displays (IIRC) right near the online/offline icon.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:08:52 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2021, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 04, 2021, 04:23:50 PM

Yes, this is correct. I learned this the hard way once. You would know if you had points, not only because you'd get a PM from a mod, but also because your warning level displays (IIRC) right near the online/offline icon.

Yup, I learned the same through experience once (I was given a warning for baiting NE2, of all people). You receive a PM that says "You have received a warning" and is from user "AARoads Forum," and your point total is visible to you in your profile.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 04, 2021, 04:38:01 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:26:49 PM

dzlsabe, on the other hand...

Be careful what you wish for.
Male pronouns, please.

rickmastfan67

I personally don't modify posts unless I'm fixing URLs for people, turning images into links (if is a 20+ MB GIF image), fixing quotes, or moving threads to the correct section.  I mostly just deal with stuff on the backend.  So, if you see me doing MOD duty in a thread, please take it to heart, as it must be pretty bad for me to step in, as I prefer to let the other Admins/Mods do their thing.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 03:23:22 PM

Removed posts discussing religion.
Personal attacks removed from thread.
Edited posts to remove gratuitous profanity.

Etc.
I got warned after there was an offensive post from me (they were removed), on the Pork thread in the Off-topic board. I wasn't thinking straight, so I'll learn.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.