News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OKC Road Meet officially set: 10/22/22

Started by JMoses24, March 04, 2022, 04:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

This is to make official the date and time for the OKC Road Meet hosted by myself and Scott5114.

Time: 11am CDT
Lunch/meeting location: Charleston's, 224 East Reno Avenue (also known as Johnny Bench Drive), Oklahoma City, OK. Parking can be accessed from Oklahoma City Boulevard or further east on Reno Avenue.
RSVP: Here, or on the public Facebook event: https://fb.me/e/1g7insKRA
Points of interest: Kilpatrick Turnpike extension, Kickapoo Turnpike, I-40 realignment/Oklahoma City Boulevard, I-235/44 interchange reconstruction, other locations as they're finalized. Routing will allow for some county clinching opportunities as well.

JMoses24

This is the plan as it stands now.

A caveat: I may be having a surgery at some point in the next couple months. If that happens early enough before the meet, I'll still be able to lead it. However, if I am hospitalized, Scott5114 will step in on my behalf.

After lunch, we will begin with the Oklahoma City Boulevard and I-40 relocation, with a stop planned at Scissortail Park as it is close by. Scissortail Park will be fully opened on the day of the meet, so I'm thinking that the Skydance Bridge will give us the best place to view both routes. We will probably do the group photo there. From there, we will head west to the Kilpatrick Turnpike, follow its south extension around to I-44 on the southwest side, then I-240 east to I-40 and the Kickapoo to drive that route. We will then get on the Turner Turnpike west onto the free portion of I-44 to make our way to the I-235/I-44 interchange to view that construction. (I'm still looking for a location for viewing of the interchange, but I do plan to stop there.)

At that point, I am thinking that we will move south onto historic US 66 which has been signed through parts of OKC along it's pre-1953 alignment on North 23rd Street from Lincoln Boulevard to May Avenue. At some point in the next week or two, my plan is to go out and find a location where one of the new Historic US 66 signs can be photographed.  We may also drive to the Lake Overholser bridge on North 39th for a photo opportunity. We will then circle back to the meet location to disperse.

It is important to note that the Turner Turnpike has not been converted to cashless tolling yet, but the Kickapoo and Kilpatrick have. I'm not sure of the timeline for the Turner to do so...for this reason, you will need change for the Turner portion of the route.

So that's the plan right now.

CoreySamson

I probably won't be able to make it, unfortunately. My college fall break is the week before and I can't really justify two road trips in two weeks given my college workload and current financial status.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JMoses24

UPDATE:

If you follow me on Facebook, you already know what I'm about to post.

I am now scheduled for urostomy revision surgery on October 11. Current indications are that I'll only be hospitalized for one week (which gets me out the 18th or thereabouts). If that holds, I'll be able to go forward hosting myself.

HOWEVER... if things go south medically and I'm still hospitalized, my plan is still to have Scott host in my place and I will have the itinerary and notes ready for him. In fact, I plan to finish everything up this week.

As an addendum to this, I will also note that I am modifying the routing slightly. As we are heading west to the Kilpatrick, I am planning to hit the Route 66 original alignment as stop number 2, using the Overholser Bridge as the focal point. At that location, the original and 1958 alignments are parallel within a few hundred feet. We will proceed from there to the Kilpatrick, and then as above. Again, I'm finalizing that this week.

Alps

Quote from: JMoses24 on September 14, 2022, 10:13:59 PM
UPDATE:

I am now scheduled for urostomy revision surgery on October 11. Current indications are that I'll only be hospitalized for one week (which gets me out the 18th or thereabouts). If that holds, I'll be able to go forward hosting myself.

HOWEVER... if things go south medically and I'm still hospitalized, my plan is still to have Scott host in my place and I will have the itinerary and notes ready for him. In fact, I plan to finish everything up this week.

As an addendum to this, I will also note that I am modifying the routing slightly. As we are heading west to the Kilpatrick, I am planning to hit the Route 66 original alignment as stop number 2, using the Overholser Bridge as the focal point. At that location, the original and 1958 alignments are parallel within a few hundred feet. We will proceed from there to the Kilpatrick, and then as above. Again, I'm finalizing that this week.
Trust me - even if you're back out of the hospital, that doesn't put you in condition to spend a day away from home. Take care of yourself. I care.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 15, 2022, 12:01:46 AM
Quote from: JMoses24 on September 14, 2022, 10:13:59 PM
UPDATE:

Trust me - even if you're back out of the hospital, that doesn't put you in condition to spend a day away from home. Take care of yourself. I care.
^This

*currently at home recovering from surgery*

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Echoing what everyone else says, your health comes first. I'm more than happy to step in and host–I'm sure there's nothing on the itinerary I wouldn't be able to find ;)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Unfortunately, I'm not budgeting this meet - so I'm out - way out.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JMoses24

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 18, 2022, 02:47:45 AM
Echoing what everyone else says, your health comes first. I'm more than happy to step in and host–I'm sure there's nothing on the itinerary I wouldn't be able to find ;)

Check your messages...I sent my itinerary over and I'm in the process of compiling notes.

So, officially for everyone else, Scott is now the lead. I am still hoping I'll be able to attend, but on further thought, given that I will likely still be medicated for pain, I don't think I'll be effective as a host.

JMoses24

UPDATE for the location:

Earl's appears to have closed their Bricktown location. This necessitated a venue change. After initially thinking of a spot in Midtown, we're readjusting based on parking issues. The new location is Charleston's Restaurant at 224 Johnny Bench Drive. This is near the original planned spot. I would advise everyone to park near Bass Pro Shops located to the east.

Scott5114

Hey folks, since we're a little over a week away from the meet, could I get a confirmation from those who are planning to be there, so I have an idea of what our headcount is likely to be?

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

JMoses24

If you haven't guessed, Scott is now fully hosting this and I am pulling out. I had my surgery yesterday, and as some of you suggested would occur, there is simply no way that I will be in any physical condition to be out and about for any sustained length of time. Simply sitting in my wheelchair today for several periods of time hurt. I am being released from the hospital tomorrow, but this is still the prudent course of action. I appreciate Scott stepping in for me.

hbelkins

Quote from: JMoses24 on October 12, 2022, 09:43:03 PM
If you haven't guessed, Scott is now fully hosting this and I am pulling out. I had my surgery yesterday, and as some of you suggested would occur, there is simply no way that I will be in any physical condition to be out and about for any sustained length of time. Simply sitting in my wheelchair today for several periods of time hurt. I am being released from the hospital tomorrow, but this is still the prudent course of action. I appreciate Scott stepping in for me.

Your physical health obviously takes first priority. I had to withdraw my participation in a planned meet five years ago, but I think several went anyway because I had prepared detailed written directions and a good agenda so people would take self-guided tours.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2022, 09:45:59 AM
Quote from: JMoses24 on October 12, 2022, 09:43:03 PM

Your physical health obviously takes first priority. I had to withdraw my participation in a planned meet five years ago, but I think several went anyway because I had prepared detailed written directions and a good agenda so people would take self-guided tours.

The good news there is with Scott's invaluable help, I believe we actually improved on the tour. It's going to utilize some of the historic US 77 and US 66 alignments between downtown and Lake Overholser, which Scott found after some legwork.

I am currently recovering well. I have an unrelated appointment on Friday, and my staples (25 big ones) come out in a little over 2 weeks. My major personal goal is being back to greeting at church in November.

okroads

Sorry for the late response, but I plan on being there also. Short drive from Norman. :D

kphoger

Quote from: okroads on October 17, 2022, 07:17:26 PM
Sorry for the late response, but I plan on being there also. Short drive from Norman. :D

Not even a Motel 6 stay required...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: okroads on October 17, 2022, 07:17:26 PM

Looking forward to finally getting to meet you! :D

JMoses24

It will be a great day tomorrow with a high in the mid-80s...perfect for a meet. I wish I could do the whole day, but depending on how I feel, I will at least stop by at the Scissortail stop to say hello. I've been working on building my strength and stamina back up since leaving the hospital a week ago yesterday.

J N Winkler

I'm not going to be there, sorry to say--I had been thinking of going, and had been monitoring this thread, but discovered I had a conflict too late to bid for a different weekend.  So I send my best wishes for a successful meet to those who are attending.  The itinerary looks interesting!
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ozarkman417

It is to be a great day for a meet in the area. I say this as, coincidentally enough, I am in the nearby Wichita Mountains this weekend. If I had more time or had the means to head up to OKC I would have attended. While you all drive with Scott, I'll be driving up Mount Scott.

okroads

Enjoyed the road meet today. Weather turned out to be unseasonably warm with a decent southerly breeze helping a bit. Thanks to both Scott & Jeremy for your contributions in preparing the itinerary and hosting the meet. We also had Martin from Roadklahoma/Tulsa Roads fame join us for lunch and it was great to meet him in person after only knowing him via email conversations from 15 or so years ago.

Scott5114

Thanks to everyone who attended, it was a lot of fun!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, Scott.
Good to catch up with Eric, Jeremy, and Brandon again.
It was neat to check out Oklahoma City.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.