News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Carl Edwards = loser

Started by rickmastfan67, July 18, 2010, 12:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

I know some of you are NASCAR fans here, but what Carl Edwards did tonight @ Gateway was completely uncalled for.

Here's the video so you guys can see it:

Here's what I think NASCAR needs to do to Edwards after this one.........

Step 1 - Strip the win from Carl and give him last place.
Step 2 - Ban him for the rest of the season from Nationwide.
Step 3 - Suspend him from the Brickyard 400.
Step 4 - Placed on probation for the next 5 years.
Step 5 - Intentionally wreck somebody else = LIFELONG NASCAR BAN

corco

Completely agree- especially since he is openly admitting to committing the act. He should be banned immediately.

bugo

After nearly falling asleep seven times while watching the video (I hate NASCAR, I find it as boring as golf or soccer) I don't see anything that happened that doesn't happen in every NASCAR race.  Edwards was driving the light blue car, right?  I didn't see him ram anybody.  Enlighten me.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: bugo on July 18, 2010, 02:32:21 AM
Edwards was driving the light blue car, right?  I didn't see him ram anybody.  Enlighten me.

No, he's in the #60 Aflac Ford.  Go to the 2:10 mark and you see what happened......

Chris

Since NASCAR is completely unknown to the mainstream public in Europe (including myself), I guess it's illegal to do a PIT-maneuver? How fast are those cars traveling actually? It's hard to tell.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Chris on July 18, 2010, 07:10:36 AM
I guess it's illegal to do a PIT-maneuver?

Depends on the driver in NASCAR's eyes it seems.......

How fast are those cars traveling actually?

Not sure at Gateway, but I think they get up to about 120 on the straight maybe?  I could be wrong here.

Anyways, this isn't the first time Carl has done it this season.  In fact, this is the 2nd time he's done it to the SAME driver.
Look @ this video from Atlanta earlier this year:

mgk920

Since NASCAR is completely unknown to the mainstream public in Europe (including myself), I guess it's illegal to do a PIT-maneuver? How fast are those cars traveling actually? It's hard to tell.

NASCAR usually enforces a pit-road speed limit in the 50-55 mph range.  Just like at F1, they do strictly enforce it (in NASCAR, 1 mph over = 'run through' penalty).  You CAN pass someone on pit road - as long as you don't exceed the speed limit.

On the track itself, depending on the track, on the 'super speedways' (like Talladega, Daytona and Indianapolis) they can top out well over 180 mph, while on most tracks they average in the 100-150 mph range.

BTW, NASCAR ('Sprint' Cup series, the 'Nationwide' series is sort of their 'second division') is where Juan Pablo Montoya, Scott Speed and Jacques Villeneuve went after leaving F1, and Montoya is having a pretty good 2010 season.

As for that video clip, they were likely doing about 120-140 mph at the time and yes, Edwards should forfeit that win and be disqualified for at least the rest of the season.

Mike

This is a NASCAR thread.  You're American.  Quit the metric bullshit.

golden eagle

From what I saw, it looked as if Kazloski (sp?) tried to pull in front of Edwards, causing Edwards to run into him. But if Edwards says he meant to hit Kazloski, then he should be suspended.

mightyace

^^^

But, I doubt Edwards will get any "real" penalty considering he only got three week's "probation" for hitting Brad Keselowski in the Atlanta Sprint Cup race this spring and putting the car in the air.  And there is little doubt that was blatant.  In the Atlanta incident, Carl was over 100 laps down and Brad was going for a top 5 finish when Carl wrecked him.

Quote from: mgk920 on July 18, 2010, 12:45:06 PM
NASCAR usually enforces a pit-road speed limit in the 80-90 km/h range.  Just like at F1, they do strictly enforce it (in NASCAR, 1 km/h over = 'run through' penalty).  You CAN pass someone on pit road - as long as you don't exceed the speed limit.

Actually, NASCAR gives a 5 mph cushion over the pit road speed limit.  (like what is often informally given on US highways)  But, if you are 5.1 mph over the limit (.1 mph) over the cushion, you get the pass-through penalty.  And yes, drivers have been busted for speeding on a pass-through and have had to do it yet gain.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on July 19, 2010, 02:15:37 AM

Actually, NASCAR gives a 5 mph cushion over the pit road speed limit.  (like what is often informally given on US highways)  But, if you are 5.1 mph over the limit (.1 mph) over the cushion, you get the pass-through penalty.  And yes, drivers have been busted for speeding on a pass-through and have had to do it yet gain.

why all the complication around that 5 mph?  why not just declare the pit road speed limit to be X, as opposed to saying it is X - 5, with a 5 mph cushion? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 19, 2010, 02:20:41 AM
Quote from: mightyace on July 19, 2010, 02:15:37 AM

why all the complication around that 5 mph?  why not just declare the pit road speed limit to be X, as opposed to saying it is X - 5, with a 5 mph cushion? 

Because the cars don't have speedometers.

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 19, 2010, 09:20:31 AM

Because the cars don't have speedometers.

that shouldn't make a difference.  If the speed limit is 60, and the tolerated point of 65, then you are trying your utter best to figure out how to keep it under 65 without having an exact idea how fast you're going.  If the speed limit is 65 and the tolerated point is 65 ... same difference!

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

^^^^

My educated guess is that NASCAR gives the 5 mph cushion to "appear" not to be heavy handed.

But, Jake is right, a 55 mph pit road speed limit with a hard 5 mph "cushion" is the same as 60 mph and "zero tolerance".

Also, to enlighten the non-NASCAR fans here, NASCAR divides pit road up into multiple "segments" and you are busted for speeding if you are going too fast in just one of those segments.

The speeds are measured by transponders on the cars so this is not one of NASCAR's infamous "judgment" calls.

74/171FAN

Where was this thread in March anyway lol?  I know many people outside of Carl have also had problems with Keselowski's aggressive driving including Denny Hamlin who intentionally spun him out at the Homestead Nationwide race last year.  Also NASCAR decided this year to let the drivers to go at it and settle their problems on the racetrack but coming from 150 laps down to wreck someone intentionally is way overboard.  I mean at least this time they were racing for the win but Carl probably still hates him to the point where if he's close enough to wreck him to keep him from a win he would like Saturday.  Personally I believe Keselowski deserves some of this to an extent but not at the expense of fans or other competitors.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

I went on a complete rant on my blog over it. Its not just Edwards, look at how Harvick or Kyle Busch reacts to situations: in your face, have a temper tantrum. What happened to the days when we threw helmets?

Saturday's incident was uncalled for and I don't foresee a parking, although I'd love one right now.

http://15105crossisland.blogspot.com/2010/07/boys-will-be-boys-or-are-they-acting.html
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on July 19, 2010, 04:20:42 PM
http://15105crossisland.blogspot.com/2010/07/boys-will-be-boys-or-are-they-acting.html

QuoteNASCAR president Mike Helton explains to loyal fans on the website that Edwards would only receive a 3-race suspension.

I think you ment 3-race probation.

mgk920

Quote from: mightyace on July 19, 2010, 03:16:40 PM
^^^^

My educated guess is that NASCAR gives the 5 mph cushion to "appear" not to be heavy handed.

But, Jake is right, a 55 mph pit road speed limit with a hard 5 mph "cushion" is the same as 60 mph and "zero tolerance".

Also, to enlighten the non-NASCAR fans here, NASCAR divides pit road up into multiple "segments" and you are busted for speeding if you are going too fast in just one of those segments.

The speeds are measured by transponders on the cars so this is not one of NASCAR's infamous "judgment" calls.

How do you as a driver know how fast you are going?  You already know such things as the circumference of your tires, gear ratios and so forth, so you keep the car in gear in a certain gear and keep your eye on your car's tachometer while on pit road.  I would assume that some drivers even put little index marks on their tachometers to denote safe limits for pit road.

A few other types of racing, such as F1, have speed limiters in the cars that the drivers can turn on and off while on pit road.

Mike

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 19, 2010, 09:10:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on July 19, 2010, 04:20:42 PM

QuoteNASCAR president Mike Helton explains to loyal fans on the website that Edwards would only receive a 3-race suspension.

I think you ment 3-race probation.

Whoops, thanks for the mention, mind you I was in a ranty mood and wasn't paying attention.
Adam Seth Moss

english si

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwpsaHueUk

Here's the drivers the other way around (with Edwards going out, having been clipped by Kazloski (sp?), who then wins) last year.

Some might say it's Karma being a bitch!

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: english si on July 20, 2010, 11:19:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwpsaHueUk

Here's the drivers the other way around (with Edwards going out, having been clipped by Kazloski (sp?), who then wins) last year.

Some might say it's Karma being a bitch!

Its Keselowski, and the flip at the Aarons 499 was not intentional. Even Edwards himself knew Keselowski did nothing wrong. Carl did a blocking move and as a result, was turned. Keselowski did nothing wrong that day, even NASCAR knew that. The Kobalt Tools 500 at Atlanta was intentional, as Edwards was 156 laps down due to a slight miscue with Keselowski and Keselowski was 4th at that time. Last night was the same situation.
Adam Seth Moss

mightyace

Quote from: mgk920 on July 19, 2010, 11:37:08 PM
How do you as a driver know how fast you are going?  You already know such things as the circumference of your tires, gear ratios and so forth, so you keep the car in gear in a certain gear and keep your eye on your car's tachometer while on pit road.  I would assume that some drivers even put little index marks on their tachometers to denote safe limits for pit road.

A few other types of racing, such as F1, have speed limiters in the cars that the drivers can turn on and off while on pit road.

Mike

Drivers used to put index marks on their tachometers.  However, today, it's a little more technological.  Most cars have a system where they set the pit road speed during the parade laps.  The pace cars go pit road speed for just this purpose and that's why you'll see two of them at first.

When going down pit road, if you are at that rpm level or below, there will be a green light on your dash.  There are yellow and red lights for when you are in the 5pm "cushion" (yellow) and over it (red).  The difference in offset from the green RPM value is figured out by the engineers and set by the pit crew.

Of course, this assumes that the pit road speed is set correctly. (for the green light)  If the pace car is not going the right speed or the car is going a little too slow (no problem) or too fast (big problem) when the pit road speed is set, your lights will be off.  That is the probable reason why Juan Pablo Montoya lost last year's Brickyard 400 due to a speeding penalty.  Juan swore up and down (before swearing otherwise) that his light was green or yellow.  But, if his pit road speed (green light) was set to high, he could be speeding on pit road while only seeing a yellow light.

BigMattFromTexas

I think he's a jerk and one of these days he's gonna kill someone just to win a race. I know after 199 laps you wanna win, but I don't think it requires you to be selfish, and risk other peoples lives. I am all for what was said originally (the consequences).
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on July 20, 2010, 05:31:59 PMThat is the probable reason why Juan Pablo Montoya lost last year's Brickyard 400 due to a speeding penalty.  Juan swore up and down (before swearing otherwise) that his light was green or yellow.  But, if his pit road speed (green light) was set to high, he could be speeding on pit road while only seeing a yellow light.

well that's not very fair!

"okay, fellers, your speed limit is 60mph.  here's what 60 looks like.  got that?  good."

later...

"ha ha! that was actually 70! boy do you look stupid! say, you wanna see a pencil disappear?"

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: mightyace on July 20, 2010, 05:31:59 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 19, 2010, 11:37:08 PM
How do you as a driver know how fast you are going?  You already know such things as the circumference of your tires, gear ratios and so forth, so you keep the car in gear in a certain gear and keep your eye on your car's tachometer while on pit road.  I would assume that some drivers even put little index marks on their tachometers to denote safe limits for pit road.

Mike

Of course, this assumes that the pit road speed is set correctly. (for the green light)  If the pace car is not going the right speed or the car is going a little too slow (no problem) or too fast (big problem) when the pit road speed is set, your lights will be off.  That is the probable reason why Juan Pablo Montoya lost last year's Brickyard 400 due to a speeding penalty.  Juan swore up and down (before swearing otherwise) that his light was green or yellow.  But, if his pit road speed (green light) was set to high, he could be speeding on pit road while only seeing a yellow light.

Pretty sure that's going to be a hot topic this weekend. Since its been one year already for the Montoya problem at Indianapolis. Pretty much sure the half-baked telecast of the Brickyard 400 will be covering it to the utmost degree.
Adam Seth Moss

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 20, 2010, 06:35:31 PM
well that's not very fair!

"okay, fellers, your speed limit is 60mph.  here's what 60 looks like.  got that?  good."

later...

"ha ha! that was actually 70! boy do you look stupid! say, you wanna see a pencil disappear?"

Who said that NASCAR is fair?  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.