News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

College football 2010

Started by golden eagle, September 14, 2010, 12:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I really love college football! It actually is my favorite and I'll do anything to talk about it. Week two of the regular season has wrapped up and here's my impressions of it so far:

-The ACC took a pounding over the weekend when all four of its ranked teams lost: Miami at Ohio State, Georgia Tech at Kansas, Florida State at Oklahoma and (perhaps, the most embarrassing) Virginia Tech losing at home to 1-AA James Madison.

-Speaking of 1-AA teams, they've been beating some 1A opponents, most notably, Jacksonville State over Mississippi. North Dakota State got a win over Kansas and Minnesota fell victim to South Dakota.

-Florida's offense was horrible in week one, but did play better against South Florida, particularly in the second half. However, the defense has stepped up big time in creating game-changing turnovers (eight INT's in just the first two games). The offense still needs to get its act together for SEC play or they could find themselves watching the SEC title game at home.

-Is Oregon the real deal? The 72-0 over New Mexico was one thing, but overcoming a sluggish start and whipping Tennessee in Knoxville by 35 is another!

-If Michigan QB Denard Robinson isn't the favorite to win the Heisman right now, I don't know who is. To go into South Bend and put up almost 250 rushing is just sick! And that was a week after breaking the Michigan record for rushing yards by a QB against Connecticut. But he better find a way to stay healthy because if he goes down, so does Michigan and Rich Rodriguez's job.

What are some of your thoughts?

bugo

I think Rich Rodriguez is the biggest idiot in football for running Ryan Mallett off (even though I'm glad he did.)  Mallett had an off game and still put up 400 yards and 4 total touchdowns.  If he's not the leading candidate for the Heisman, I don't know who is.

golden eagle

RichRod wanted to bring in the spread but Mallett isn't that kind of QB. He probably should've made the offense fit around Mallett and then switch to the spread once Mallett was gone. But Mallett didn't show me a whole lot when he was at Michigan. I realized he was a back-up to Chad Henne, but still, I didn't see. Arkansas seems a lot more tailor-made to him. Plus, having a coach like Petrino (who likes to throw the ball around) helps too.

bugo

Quote from: golden eagle on September 14, 2010, 12:38:49 AM
RichRod wanted to bring in the spread but Mallett isn't that kind of QB. He probably should've made the offense fit around Mallett and then switch to the spread once Mallett was gone. But Mallett didn't show me a whole lot when he was at Michigan. I realized he was a back-up to Chad Henne, but still, I didn't see. Arkansas seems a lot more tailor-made to him. Plus, having a coach like Petrino (who likes to throw the ball around) helps too.

A great coach modifies his system to fit the players he has, especially if he has great players like Ryan.  Rodriguez is not a great coach.  He's a one trick pony.  He'll never win the big games.

Alps

As a Michigan fan, I agree that Rodriguez is never going to a major bowl.  Hopefully they see that soon.

huskeroadgeek

I was laughing about Boise State on Saturday-just 5 days after their much-hyped signature win over Virginia Tech that was going to get them into the national championship, the importance of that win almost completely evaporated after VT lost to James Madison. In a week in which Boise State didn't play, nothing worse could have happened to them than that.

I think it's tough to say who is the best right now-Alabama and Ohio State both looked good against quality opponents. My Huskers have looked good against meager opposition, but we have a better test this weekend on the road at Washington. We should still come away with the win, though.

agentsteel53

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on September 14, 2010, 01:44:40 AMIn a week in which Boise State didn't play, nothing worse could have happened to them than that.

that's what you get for not playing.

sometimes you win.

sometimes you lose.

sometimes you're the idiot coward that gets a BYE.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

I was at that Virginia Tech game.  That was definitely my most painful sports experience ever.  I really don't know what's up with the team, but Tyrod Taylor needs to get it together.

I did get some solace though, as my Buckeyes won and knocked off Miami!
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

74/171FAN

Quote from: njroadhorse on September 14, 2010, 09:53:43 AM
I was at that Virginia Tech game.  That was definitely my most painful sports experience ever.  I really don't know what's up with the team, but Tyrod Taylor needs to get it together.

I did get some solace though, as my Buckeyes won and knocked off Miami!
That was my first ever Virginia Tech home game and I didn't think since I started going to school here that our football team 0-2.  Honestly if we would have scored touchdowns instead of field goals and held on to the football we still would have crushed them.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bryant5493

My alma mater (Georgia State University) is 1-1. They beat Shorter University (formerly Shorter College) 41-7 and lost to Lambuth 14-23. We're going to play 'Bama the last game of the season, November 18... in Tuscaloosa. We're going to get murderlized. :ded:

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

BigMattFromTexas

I must say Gilbert is probly a better QB than McCoy, even though McCoy's awesome (and went to high school about an hour away from me). But also Sam Acho is a beast. I can't wait to see Tech get a whoppin on Saturday!
BigMatt

Brandon

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 14, 2010, 01:25:35 AM
As a Michigan fan, I agree that Rodriguez is never going to a major bowl.  Hopefully they see that soon.

As a State fan, I hope RichRod stays at UM for a long time then.  :sombrero:
Go Green, Go White!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

njroadhorse

Well Virginia Tech demolished East Carolina today.  Woohoo! My college is not going 0fer!
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

bugo

Quote from: njroadhorse on September 18, 2010, 08:19:15 PM
Well Virginia Tech demolished East Carolina today.  Woohoo! My college is not going 0fer!

My Razorbacks squeaked by Georgia 31-24.  Next week is #1 Alabama at home.  I'm quite nervous about playing them.

algorerhythms

My alma mater hasn't beaten a non-deaf school in football since 1963, but the university I'm at now won against the Air Force Academy today.

bugo

Quote from: algorerhythms on September 18, 2010, 09:05:34 PM
My alma mater hasn't beaten a non-deaf school in football since 1963, but the university I'm at now won against the Air Force Academy today.

OU barely, and I mean BARELY put away Air Force.  They are vastly overrated and will probably lose 4 games this year.

Max B. (FreewayTitan)

OU and Michigan are overrated.
Quite possibly AARoads youngest poster. But I don't let that get in my way.

golden eagle

Michigan's defense was like Swiss cheese today. It was almost shades of Appalachian State again.

bugo

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on September 14, 2010, 01:44:40 AM
I was laughing about Boise State on Saturday-just 5 days after their much-hyped signature win over Virginia Tech that was going to get them into the national championship, the importance of that win almost completely evaporated after VT lost to James Madison. In a week in which Boise State didn't play, nothing worse could have happened to them than that.

I was laughing too.  Boise State plays nobody this year (Oregon State is the closest thing to a real team that they play all year, and they lost to another overrated team, TCU) and don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the national championship.  If BS were in the SEC, they would go 4-4 in league play, if that.  They would lose to Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, and South Carolina.  Boise State is a joke.  They might as well play high school teams, because that's all they are, an overgrown high school team.

bugo

Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2010, 10:53:16 AM
As a State fan, I hope RichRod stays at UM for a long time then.  :sombrero:
Go Green, Go White!

How about that fake field goal?  Gutsy, gutsy move.  It literally gave the M-State coach a heart attack.

corco

QuoteI was laughing too.  Boise State plays nobody this year (Oregon State is the closest thing to a real team that they play all year, and they lost to another overrated team, TCU) and don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the national championship.  If BS were in the SEC, they would go 4-4 in league play, if that.  They would lose to Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, and South Carolina.  Boise State is a joke.  They might as well play high school teams, because that's all they are, an overgrown high school team.

I just...I don't think there's any possible way to make that comment. You can say they're not national championship material, but to say they're an overgrown high school team?

The SEC is a tough conference, but if they were in the Pac-10 they'd be taken seriously as a contender, and there's no doubt in my mind they'd beat Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Cal, Oregon State, or Stanford. They'd likely beat Oregon, as they did the last two seasons, and USC would be the only real challenge. If they were in the Big Ten, same deal.

The talent gap between non BCS schools and BCS schools just isn't as great as you make it out to be- we've seen that on numerous occasions this year and last year. It's there, but the bottom schools in BCS conferences (maybe not the SEC) are just as bad as the bottom schools in non-BCS conferences. For instance, SMU sucks, but they beat Pac-10 Wazzu last week. I don't think you can argue that Fresno State wouldn't at least put up a solid fight against Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota,  or Indiana.

Every single time Boise State has had a chance to play a major opponent in the last three years, they have won. That includes Oregon, Oregon again, TCU, and Virginia Tech. Sure, that's a small sample, but it's something. You can't just start saying they'll lose to every ranked school in the SEC when they have consistently beaten every ranked school they have played.

The fact is that we DONT KNOW what Boise State could do- they have tried to schedule more difficult opponents in the last three years, but national-title seeking schools don't want to schedule out-of-conference games with us because they can't generate as much revenue playing us as they can a "name" school, and don't want to play a team they may lose to if they're not generating gobs of revenue.

We don't know what Boise State is capable of because nobody has given them a consistent chance to show what they are capable of. What we DO know is that Boise State beats everyone they plays- most major schools have had a fluke loss to a so-called cream puff in the last couple years. Boise State has not. In addition, we've beat our ranked opponents when we've had a chance to play them.

Keep in mind that a non-BCS so-called overgrown high school team called Utah solidly beat Alabama just two years ago.

Does that make us national championship caliber? Maybe not. Does that make us an overgrown high school team? Definitely not.

I can't say matter-of-factly that Boise State deserves to be in the national championship any more than you can claim they're an overgrown high school team. We don't know what Boise State's talent level is. You don't know; I don't know. Any claim to the contrary is just obnoxious speculation. All we can go off is what we do know, and that is that they have seized every opportunity given to them. That should be worth something. How much? I'm not sure. How many Fiesta Bowls do they need to win before we can say "Hey, maybe they deserve a chance at the title game?" I'm not sure, and I don't think there's an objective way that anybody can be.

In my opinion, the blame for this rests on the BCS itself. Boise State represents every reason why we need a playoff system, because they are not going to get a chance to show what they can or cannot do under the current system. They don't have a choice but to play their WAC (or soon to be Mountain West) schedule, and try to schedule tough out of conference games (which they have done as good a job as possible of doing). The answer is not to call Boise State a high school team or to say that they belong in the championship game- the answer is to fix the system so they get a fair shot.

bugo

Boise State plays one or two competitive games each year.  It's a lot easier to prepare for one or two tough games than to have to play a tough game week in and week out like SEC or Big 12 teams have to do.  There's a big difference between playing two ranked teams all season, including Va Tech who shouldn't even be in the top 50, and preparing to play 5-6 ranked teams.

You're right that we won't really know how good they are.  They should be putting all their energy into getting into a real conference.  The Big 12 or the Pac 10 would be good fits.  The weekly grind of playing tough teams every week would prove how good they are.  But if you haven't beaten anybody, you don't deserve to play in the NC game.  

I misspoke when I said they were a glorified high school team, what I should have said is they play a glorified high school schedule.  If a middle of the road SEC team played their schedule, they would likely go undefeated.

Oregon State will be their only chance for a quality win all season.  They barely beat Virginia Tech, who lost to James Madison.  Not a quality win at all.  As I said, it's easier to prepare for one tough game a year (and Oregon State isn't that good) than to play 5-6 ranked teams.

corco

On that Boise State note, I have to say this is pretty amusing

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2010-09-20/oregon-state-prepares-for-boise-state-with-blue-practice-field
facebook album

Word on the street is 440 gallons of paint went into the making of a blue field- that's a lot of money!

I will note that as a Boise State fan I am anti-Blue Turf. It was a neat gimmick when we were a I-AA/II school, but I feel like we'll never be taken seriously enough to get into the Pac 10 or Big 12 if we have a blue field.

That said, this seems like a remarkable waste of resources!

bogdown

My TCU Froggies are doing good, crushed Baylor 41-10
No, nobody died

Hot Rod Hootenanny

After seeing this video, I don't like OU either.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.