News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Officail Announcement Memphis Road Meet April 28!

Started by jpi, January 20, 2012, 05:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

US71

Quote from: Steve on April 29, 2012, 10:05:18 PM
So... how was Memphis?

Had a great time! We drove part of Future I-269, all of I-69 in Mississippi, almost all of Sam Cooper Blvd, (still has I-40 exits posted), had some good food, and pleasant traveling companions ;)

You should have been there.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: US71 on April 29, 2012, 10:32:24 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 29, 2012, 10:05:18 PM
So... how was Memphis?

Had a great time! We drove part of Future I-269, all of I-69 in Mississippi, almost all of Sam Cooper Blvd, (still has I-40 exits posted), had some good food, and pleasant traveling companions ;)

You should have been there.

Wanted to, just a bit too much to handle. If one more day could be inserted in the week, it would have worked.

A.J. Bertin

Jason did an awesome job hosting his first road meet. The tour was just the right length - not too short and not too long either. The seven of us who attended had a great time, and we were all able to fit in Jason's minivan for the tour.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the I-269 construction in the area where TN 385 is now. One thing I found hilarious was the signs along Sam Cooper Blvd. that referenced Little Rock (WB) and Nashville (EB) as control cities with a blank space where the interstate shield would have been.

Brian Rawson-Ketchum and I left Portage, Michigan before 8 a.m. on Friday for the drive down to Memphis. We took the route that included I-57, and it was my first time driving on I-57 at all. Our drive down was nice, and it was funny watching the temperature gradually climb the farther south we drove. (Waking up in Grand Rapids on Friday morning it was 28 degrees. In Memphis that evening it got up to the mid 80s!) This route gave us the chance to experience a little bit of Missouri and Arkansas for the first time. By the time we arrived in Memphis, it was about 5:30 p.m. local time. All seven of us met for dinner that night at Corky's BBQ and experienced some absolutely delicious food. :)

On Sunday morning five of us met for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel along I-40 on the northeast side of town before we all started our journeys back home. Brian and I took I-40 to I-65 and then up to I-69. Brian was trying to talk me into taking U.S. 31 back to Michigan instead of I-69, and I really wanted to. But I was in too much of a hurry to want to bother with slowing down for the towns along that stretch (Kokomo and others). I'm sure I didn't save too much time at all by taking I-69 (since it's so much out of the way), but still ... I was able to drive as fast as I wanted to. Brian and I had left the Cracker Barrel at 8:15 a.m. Central and didn't get back to Portage until about 9:30 p.m. Eastern. (The route home was about 100 miles longer than the route down.)

Thanks to Jason for a great meet. It was a blast!
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

This past Saturday was the first ever Roadmeet to be held in Memphis, TN. I want to thank all who attended and we had a great time and beautiful weather. We met at Hueys on Germantown Pike for lunch and socializing, from there we loaded up into my mini van and set out on our tour which included the construction of TN 385 (future I-269) and ventured into northern Mississippi to clinch I-69 and see where it ends at I-55, from there we travelled back into Memphis and had our group photo taken at Crump Park with the Tennessee-Arkansas bridge in the back ground (this pic will be coming soon) Last was a tour of Sam Cooper BLVD (what would have been I-40 through downtown Memphis)

We had visitors from Alabama, Arkansas and Michigan along with myself and Stephanie from Lebanon, TN I may do another meet there in a couple years when more of future I-269 opens and more consturction projects let.

Jason Ilyes

JPI

Lebanon, TN

Home of the Barrel

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.