News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Impossible Left Turns

Started by webny99, May 10, 2017, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Left turns that are nearly impossible due to one of two scenarios:

1 T-intersections where traffic on the thru road is heavy, and does not have to stop, creating backups on the road that ends
2 4-way intersections where green arrows are needed, as cross-traffic fills the entire green light cycle.

Tonytone

This area right here is the worse during rush hour. After rush hour its quiet and you would never expect traffic to get bad. They are in the process of redoing the area and adding sidewalks. etc. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Church+Rd,+Bear,+DE+19701/@39.6079341,-75.6645797,17z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c707ae93ba9d1d:0xc9c4b24051a33f6f
Promoting Cities since 1998!

sbeaver44

State Road WB at Carlisle Rd/Gettysburg Rd near Lemoyne, PA badly needs a left arrow in rush hour

https://goo.gl/maps/syCrsdM56fB2

Gettysburg Pike SB at Lisburn Rd near Grantham, PA also...if the lights just to the left on Lisburn at 15 back up, you're stuck till they clear and traffic turning right from the other direction always has first go...I had to wait 2 light cycles once.

https://goo.gl/maps/GB6rWFNkQGK2

Nexus 6P

kphoger

Chicago has historically been notorious for a lack of turn arrows.  I remember times when the only realistic way to turn left at a stoplight was after the light had turned red, whereupon three vehicles would go at once.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

intelati49

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2017, 12:51:29 PM
Chicago has historically been notorious for a lack of turn arrows.  I remember times when the only realistic way to turn left at a stoplight was after the light had turned red, whereupon three vehicles would go at once.

Take three rights... Especially if the city has a good grid system

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2017, 12:51:29 PM

Yeah, the one in the intersection, and at least two or three behind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Buffaboy

McKinley Parkway at Brompton and Dorchester Roads in Hamburg is difficult to make a left turn during peak hours. I was lucky the other day and was able to, but the lack of a center suicide lane and no nearby signals made it tough.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

PColumbus73

US 501 in the Myrtle Beach area at unsignalized intersections. EXTREMELY heavy traffic on this road between the Myrtle Beach city limits and Conway. AADT between 40,000 and 56,000. US 17 is nearly as bad. Also, making left turns on US 17 in Murrells Inlet is dangerous because there are very few left turn lanes.

RobbieL2415

Left turns are impossible on MA 28 on the Cape during the summer. Though that could be said just about anywhere on Cape during the summer.

Darkchylde

Some locals like to joke that it's impossible to take a left off of 7 Highway (that'd be MO 7 to those not used to Kansas City-area naming conventions) in Blue Springs during the day. It's not truly impossible, but it is very VERY hard due to traffic and bad light cycles.

jwolfer

hotdogPi

Quote from: jwolfer on May 20, 2017, 07:45:47 PM
New Jersey

Why does Tapatalk put a message at the bottom of every post?

This thread is about left turns that are impossible despite no divider, not Jersey freeways.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jwolfer

Quote from: 1 on May 20, 2017, 09:15:24 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on May 20, 2017, 07:45:47 PM
New Jersey

Why does Tapatalk put a message at the bottom of every post?

This thread is about left turns that are impossible despite no divider, not Jersey freeways.
I realize that.. An attempt at humor

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.