News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Widest freeway you've been on

Started by webny99, April 02, 2019, 08:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kulerage

Probably been on a 12 lane somewhere.

RobbieL2415

I recently drove on the GSP and the Driscoll Bridge, which is 15 lanes.  The Viesser/Edison Bridge sits just east of it and is 6 lanes wide.  Which means there's 21 lanes of bridge crossing the Raritan River!

thspfc

TX-121 between the DFW airport and the split with TX-114 in Grapevine is my new longest. Very impressive stretch of freeway.

MATraveler128

It would be the Garden State Parkway across the Raritan River for me, followed by the New Jersey Turnpike and I-95 in South Florida.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SkyPesos

Bruce

Going by the FHWA list, my winner is I-5 in Downtown Seattle, which it counts as 13 lanes.

However, there are sections in downtown that are 14 lanes wide if you count the ramps and express lanes, such as immediately north of the Mercer Street interchange.

jlam

Great Lakes Roads

chrisdiaz

The widest that I've been a passenger in a car on: Atlanta Downtown Connector

The widest that I've personally driven a car on: I-77 just north of Uptown Charlotte, with 12 lanes in total

ran4sh

Based on what others in the thread have claimed for lane counts of certain freeways, my answer would be the 27-lane section of I-395 in VA.

The MTR faq, which could be out of date, mentions several freeways of at least 14 lanes; the ones that I have been on are:

I-75 north of I-285 in Georgia (15 lanes until 2018, 17 lanes since then)
New Jersey Turnpike dual-dual section
George Washington Bridge
I-10 in the Phoenix area
I-5 in California between I-210 and route 14
California route 134 at I-210
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Ted$8roadFan

401 in Toronto
New Jersey Turnpike in Central/Northern NJ.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on April 02, 2019, 09:36:27 AM
The Katy Freeway (I-10).

SAMSUNG-SM-G930A
Picked up ON 401 this weekend (the big section by Pearson), so another wide one under my belt (along with GSP and NJTP...).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

For roads that only have two carriageways, this section of the Garden State Parkway is hard to top (I haven't been on it myself, though).

Vocalicacorn187

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 21, 2022, 06:39:34 AM
401 in Toronto

Those are both the widest I've been on as well. I honestly was not expecting I-95 and NJTP to be as busy as it was when I drove through, though that was on Thanksgiving Sunday 2019, and that may have added to it.

The 401 near Pearson is busy but not often congested.

andrepoiy

My widest would also be Highway 401, the widest section which is right south of the Airport.

18 lanes (4-5-4-5)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6642971,-79.6032832,199m/data=!3m1!1e3

InterstateFan621

The widest freeway I have been on is the downtown connector in Atlanta (75/85)

I think it has like 5 lanes, and it is pretty hard to drive on.
Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long.
(From the song "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane)
Get your kicks on Route 66!

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194860463@N06/albums/

StogieGuy7

Probably the Autopista Panamericana in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It's 18 lanes wide for several miles, with some merge and exit lanes that bring the total up to 20-22 in some areas. They also had variable speed limits dependent upon lane, which is brilliant IMHO.

After that, I'd say either the 401 in the Toronto area (with all the express and feeder lanes) or the 5 and/or 405 through the Southland. Hard to tell which spot is the very widest of those, but I've driven the entirety of both through the LA Area.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Vocalicacorn187 on March 12, 2022, 03:55:10 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 21, 2022, 06:39:34 AM
401 in Toronto

Those are both the widest I've been on as well. I honestly was not expecting I-95 and NJTP to be as busy as it was when I drove through, though that was on Thanksgiving Sunday 2019, and that may have added to it.

The 401 near Pearson is busy but not often congested.

Overall, Thanksgiving Sunday is *the* busiest travel day of the year, and that holds true on the NJ Turnpike as well.

I have been on Dan Ryan ,401,NJ. Turnpike ,395 VS and the Katy though not all after their most recent widenings.

akotchi

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on March 16, 2022, 12:34:58 PM
Probably the Autopista Panamericana in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It's 18 lanes wide for several miles, with some merge and exit lanes that bring the total up to 20-22 in some areas. They also had variable speed limits dependent upon lane, which is brilliant IMHO.

After that, I'd say either the 401 in the Toronto area (with all the express and feeder lanes) or the 5 and/or 405 through the Southland. Hard to tell which spot is the very widest of those, but I've driven the entirety of both through the LA Area.
I was on the section of the Autopista Panamericana back in the mid-1990s, and I recall a short stretch having 9 lanes in one carriageway -- don't remember the direction.  I was there on business, so I was payng attention to the lack of traffic on the main highway (toll road) and "colectora" (highway CD road, or similar) and the heavier traffic on the "frentista" (local frontage roads) to avoid the tolls.  Wonder if the patterns are still that way, 25+ years later.

To stay on topic, my widest freeways traveled are the NJ Turnpike section north of Int. 14, Parkway over Driscoll Bridge, Dan Ryan in Chicago and the I-75/85 Downtown Connector in Atlanta.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: akotchi on March 17, 2022, 11:25:04 AM
I was on the section of the Autopista Panamericana back in the mid-1990s, and I recall a short stretch having 9 lanes in one carriageway -- don't remember the direction.  I was there on business, so I was payng attention to the lack of traffic on the main highway (toll road) and "colectora" (highway CD road, or similar) and the heavier traffic on the "frentista" (local frontage roads) to avoid the tolls.  Wonder if the patterns are still that way, 25+ years later.

To stay on topic, my widest freeways traveled are the NJ Turnpike section north of Int. 14, Parkway over Driscoll Bridge, Dan Ryan in Chicago and the I-75/85 Downtown Connector in Atlanta.

I was on it about 10 years after you and it was as I described then.  Because it's been a while, I looked at Google Maps and it appears to be about the same now as what I drove back in 2006 or so. At the time, I was impressed but not surprised as it's the only freeway to feed the wealthier northern suburban areas - and BA is known for it's wide (surface) boulevards, Avenida 9 de Julio is 14 lanes wide (7 each direction).

CoreySamson

Katy Freeway for me. 26 lanes including feeders if I'm counting properly.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Flint1979

Ontario 401 and the Dan Ryan/Kennedy Expressway's in Chicago.

achilles765

Used to everyday: Katy Freeway... up to 26 at times between IH 610 and Beltway 8..used to drive that everyday.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

zachary_amaryllis

locally, i-70 where 76 peels off, i think thats 8 or 9 lanes, so hardly interesting..

when i was a kid, i've been through the parts of the njtp and garden state parkway mentioned upthread.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.