News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

shield style signs for numbered street names

Started by vtk, June 27, 2011, 02:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

There's one of these in Columbus, part of a "to 4th street" assembly pointing down Goodale from High.  There may have been one on or near the old 670 wb ramp to Neil Ave before that was rebuilt.  Sorry I don't have pic.

Anyone seen more of these in the wild or in a MUTCD?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

These are all over Bradford County, FL if I remember correctly:

(This one used to say S 43 St.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

That's absurd.  I can't think it's MUTCD compliant for any state.

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

^^^

Yes, I didn't bother with Street View because I didn't think it would have a very clear picture.  Anyway, I thought I remembered seeing one with "Street" spelled out below a larger "4th" -- maybe that's what's there now, and the Google pic shows an older version, or maybe I'm remembering the old one on the Neil Ave exit ramp which might not have ever even existed, or maybe I'm just thinking of what a better design for that sign might be.  Odd how my memory is being so unspecific on this matter...

I actually like the concept, assuming it's executed in a way that provides advantages over simple blade signage, and applied in sensible contexts in cities with a lot of numbered streets & avenues...

[edit to avoid double-post]

Perhaps I should try to get a good close look at that one, to see if it is indeed the same as seen on Google Street View, and look for stickers on the back that might indicate an installation date.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Ah, I remember where I've seen this style:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7327243@N05/3709896446
There's no reason it has to be a numbered street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

Well if named streets are OK too

I know I have a photo of at least one other one, but I can't for the life of me remember what street it was or even what state it was in- I know it's in a state I'm not normally in and I'm pretty sure I saw it recently, so probably Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana/Oklahoma

Ian

New York has quite a few street name shields installed at their roundabouts:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hobsini2

I personally have no problem with these type of signs where the road makes a distinct split.  For example, the Archer Ave/55th St split in Chicago, although that sign in particular is a bit misleading.  As you head east on 55th/Archer, the sign reads "South Archer Ave-Left arrow, West 55th St-Right arrow" as if that was the cardinal direction you are heading. In reality, it should say Northbound S. Archer and Eastbound W. 55th.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.