News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Longest construction zone?

Started by vtk, September 05, 2011, 06:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UCFKnights

vtk

IIRC, the movie Final Destination 2 begins with a scene on "Route 23" and there's a VMS saying something like "road work next 180 miles".
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US71

I-49 has a 60+ mile Construction zone. One starts around Mountainburg, AR and ends as you approach Fayetteville, where another begins.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on July 31, 2016, 04:01:59 PM
I-49 has a 60+ mile Construction zone. One starts around Mountainburg, AR and ends as you approach Fayetteville, where another begins.

Is all the construction for the Connecting Arkansas Program?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on August 01, 2016, 11:01:34 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 31, 2016, 04:01:59 PM

Is all the construction for the Connecting Arkansas Program?

No.
Mountainburg-Fayetteville is pavement rehabilitation

Fayetteville to Bentonville is Connecting Arkansas (widening I-49, plus new US 412 Bypass)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CtrlAltDel

I don't know about long construction zones, but I do like when you can see the progress as you travel. For example, about a month ago, I was traveling west on I-90 in South Dakota, and I entered a construction zone where one roadway is closed and the other carries both directions of traffic. And it was like an educational experience. First, there was an area where the dirt had been removed from the shoulders of the roadway, so that the actual pavement was above the ground level. Then, there was an area where they were jackhammering up the old concrete. Then, there was an area where machines were picking the old rebar out from the concrete and putting it into nice little piles. And finally, there was a machine that took the big chunks of concrete and made them into piles of littler chunks of concrete similar to limestone gravel. Then there were piles of concrete all down the road. I thought that was very interesting.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this construction zone was about 12 miles or so. I think they're longer in the west than the east.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

golden eagle

I-57 in southern Illinois was a rather long construction zone.

codyg1985

I just saw a 50 mile long construction zone on I-75 in north Ohio. Mostly widening the interstate.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

westerninterloper

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 29, 2016, 12:40:54 PM
I just saw a 50 mile long construction zone on I-75 in north Ohio. Mostly widening the interstate.

There is a similar sign on US23 south as you cross from Michigan to Ohio just northwest of Toledo: "I-475/I-75 Construction Next 50 Miles". However, nearly all of this is complete now, save for the last few parts of the construction between Perrysburg and OH582, and continued work between North Baltimore and Findlay.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.