News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Advice: Toronto to St. Louis

Started by mtbtrails, March 13, 2016, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtbtrails

Driving a car this spring from Toronto to St. Louis and back. Looking for advice on the best route (smooth sailing, least amount of weekend traffic). Heading out Saturday evening and taking an overnight stop on the way, returning Friday evening and stopping again.

Three possibilities considered so far, recommendations and suggestions much appreciated!

1) 401 / I-75 (Detroit) / US-24 (Toledo) / I-69 (Ft. Wayne) / I-70 (Indianapolis)
2) 401 / 402 / I-69 (Pt. Huron) / I-94 (Battle Creek) / I-80 (Gary) / I-55 (Joliet)
3) 401 / 402 / I-69 (Pt. Huron) / I-70 (Indianapolis)

AsphaltPlanet

Either 1 or 3 would be the best.  Best to avoid the Chicago area.  I-69 is prone to traffic on the northern side of Indianapolis as well.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

paulthemapguy

Option #3 is the best one for sure.  You can avoid Detroit AND Chicago, which will be the biggest slow spots on your trip.  And you get to avoid the Detroit-Windsor area, the most heavily-trafficked border crossing between the US and Canada.  Went through Port Huron/Sarnia once; it was a cinch.  And of course, you know you'll be on 465 around the north and west sides of Indianapolis as part of the route XD
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

westerninterloper

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 14, 2016, 04:19:36 PM
Option #3 is the best one for sure.  You can avoid Detroit AND Chicago, which will be the biggest slow spots on your trip.  And you get to avoid the Detroit-Windsor area, the most heavily-trafficked border crossing between the US and Canada.  Went through Port Huron/Sarnia once; it was a cinch.  And of course, you know you'll be on 465 around the north and west sides of Indianapolis as part of the route XD

If you are traveling on a weekend, the traffic in Detroit and Indy won't be too bad; it's mostly rush hour problems, and there are a few choke points.

The smoothest route and the straightest shot is #3 below - Port Huron-Flint-Lansing-Ft Wayne-Indy-St. Louis.

If you are adventurous or if you really want to avoid truck traffic, you could take US 24 from Toledo all the way to Lafayette IN, then cut down to I 74, over then south on I57, then west on I-70.

Or from Lafayette, take Indiana 63 south to Terre Haute (it's also empty, like US 24), then I-70 (which is pretty busy) to St. Louis. Either of those routes will add about 45 minutes to the trip, though.

Interstates 70 and 75 are pretty heavily travelled with trucks, so avoid those if you'd like a calmer drive.

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

thenetwork

#3 is the best option, as I-75 in Toledo will still be all torn up this summer in the North End. 

If you still insist on taking US-24 from Toledo to Ft. Wayne, and are coming into the states at Detroit, I'd take I-96/M-14 (over I-94, which has more traffic & rough spots) to US 23, then US-23 (I-475 in Toledo) south to US-24.

mtbtrails

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Took 401 / 402 / I-69 (Pt. Huron) / I-70 (Indianapolis) from Toronto to St. Louis. Smooth drive starting Saturday mid-afternoon, with a stopover in Ft. Wayne, and was in St. Louis by noon local time the next day. On the way back stayed on I-70 to Dayton for the Air Force museum (which was well worth the visit), then I-75 and I-94 back, crossing at Pt. Huron / Sarnia. Return on a Saturday was not nearly as easy a drive, but no real traffic slowdowns except in Toledo at bridge detour and Detroit baseball game traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.