Near Road Trip #2 - Hersheypark - Friday, July 24th

Started by noelbotevera, July 12, 2015, 09:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

So here we are....another road trip, another helping from you guys (seriously, this forum is awesome). So, in 2 weeks my parents and I (the three of us) are going to Hersheypark, the place that I have not been in five years!

So, if anybody wants to suggest routings, do so. Here's mine:
I-81 all the way up to North Harrisburg, and follow US 322 all the way to Hershey. I am aware the Eisenhower Interchange can back up in rush hour (I'm planning to be there from opening till closing, from 10 AM to 10 PM. I'm expecting to reach that point at around 9 AM, morning rush hour). Also, I (my parents and I) may plan to eat in Harrisburg, and if anyone knows anything good there, please suggest it (for brunch - dinner will be in the park/Hershey).

This part is easy. US 322 and take PA 39 and Park Blvd.

Here's the hard part: there are so many ways for me to try around Harrisburg (such as I-81 to US 11 to I-76 to PA 283 to PA 743 to US 322 to PA 39), so I'd like a nice, quick route. We're not in a rush (so yes, I can accept traffic). The ways I've never been before is:

I-76 east to PA 72 south, hooking back west in Lancaster via PA 283, and PA 743 south to US 322 and PA 39.
Try I-83 south to exit 44A, and take PA 230 EB (which may or may not be old US 11), to PA 441, waltz over to pA 283 via the Airport Connector.

Now returning, I can take PA 39 and follow the signs to exit 77 on I-81, and do the 60 mile trek back to Chambersburg.
Or, use PA 39 to US 22, and head towards I-81 exit 67A-B. This shaves off 10 miles on I-81, and is still pretty simple (my backup would be to take I-83 north to I-81 south).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 12, 2015, 09:04:24 AMHere's the hard part: there are so many ways for me to try around Harrisburg (such as I-81 to US 11 to I-76 to PA 283 to PA 743 to US 322 to PA 39)
What's wrong with taking I-283 North (from the PA Turnpike/Harrisburg East interchange) to US 322 East?  That would be a little bit more direct and one isn't exactly touching Harrisburg (if one's indeed trying to avoid such).

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  Are you seeking a direct route or a scenic route (your subsequent paragraphs seem to lean towards the latter)?  You mention concerns over traffic (although Harrisburg traffic's nothing compared to Philly or NYC) but then later on state that such isn't an issue; which is it?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 13, 2015, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 12, 2015, 09:04:24 AMHere's the hard part: there are so many ways for me to try around Harrisburg (such as I-81 to US 11 to I-76 to PA 283 to PA 743 to US 322 to PA 39)
What's wrong with taking I-283 North (from the PA Turnpike/Harrisburg East interchange) to US 322 East?  That would be a little bit more direct and one isn't exactly touching Harrisburg (if one's indeed trying to avoid such).

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  Are you seeking a direct route or a scenic route (your subsequent paragraphs seem to lean towards the latter)?  You mention concerns over traffic (although Harrisburg traffic's nothing compared to Philly or NYC) but then later on state that such isn't an issue; which is it?
direct, but throw in scenery. harrisburg traffic can be deplorable at times.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

jeffandnicole

What day of the week are you planning on going to Hershey Park?  If we're talking a weekday, Most state workers are probably in work by 8:30 - 9:00am, so you would be hitting the tail end of rush hour.  If we were talking 7 - 8am, yeah, traffic would be more of a concern, but not so much at 9am.

If we're talking weekend, then you can go right thru Harrisburg and see very little traffic.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 13, 2015, 03:08:51 PM
What day of the week are you planning on going to Hershey Park?  If we're talking a weekday, Most state workers are probably in work by 8:30 - 9:00am, so you would be hitting the tail end of rush hour.  If we were talking 7 - 8am, yeah, traffic would be more of a concern, but not so much at 9am.

If we're talking weekend, then you can go right thru Harrisburg and see very little traffic.
friiiiiiiidaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! (woohoo)

for roadgeeks, i am aware of some harrisburg rehab projects, but does any know if the eisenhower interchange has been rehabbed in the last few years? i'm probably heading that way. i know of one button copy sign at the college st. exit in carlisle on i-81. no idea if there's any on I-83.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

jeffandnicole

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 13, 2015, 02:48:18 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 13, 2015, 02:31:55 PM

direct, but throw in scenery. harrisburg traffic can be deplorable at times.
Ok.  My earlier suggestion with using I-283 North (just under 3 miles) from the Turnpike to US 322 East (Exit 3C) does indeed avoid Harrisburg.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

I've used the I-283 option on trips to the Giant Center, the hockey arena at Hershey Park. (I haven't been to the amusement park since 1989, but I've gone to quite a few Hershey Bears game due to their affiliation with the Washington Capitals.) We usually come up US-15 or I-83, so sometimes instead of taking I-83 through Harrisburg, I hop on the Turnpike to I-283 to US-322. It works quite well, and I think it works even better on the way home from games because most people either don't realize it's an option or don't want to pay the Turnpike toll.

The only major annoyance is those two traffic lights on Route 322, but you get those either way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

NOTE: title will be changed to Saturday, July 25th due to my sister having summer college classes. Still, feel free to post suggestions here.

Also, sorry for the large font.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.