News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Hyperloop - Open Source Transportation Design Opportunity

Started by Grzrd, August 11, 2013, 10:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: bulkyorled on May 23, 2012, 06:46:07 AM
I just meant to put a real world spin on it. If we cant even get a damn bullet train system started here which isn't even new technology what makes you or anyone think it would be possible to put a totally new type of transportation in?
Quote from: Grzrd on July 19, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
Musk has a lot of money, and this article indicates that he might be serious about developing Hyperloop, which appears to be very similar to the ETT concept:
... something that's like a "cross between a Concorde, a rail gun, and an air hockey table,” Musk said ...
(above quotes from ETT to Render Fictional Highways Obsolete? thread)

This Telegraph article reports that Elon Musk will publish his plans for the Hyperloop on August 12.  The article quotes Musk as saying that it will not be an ETT "vactrain", but it will have very low friction (in other words, it borrows a lot from the "old" pneumatic tube technology).  In addition, the design will be "open source", Musk's motivation for the concept arose from his frustration with the lack of progress on high-speed rail in California, and he envisions the first project being between Los Angeles and San Francisco (at one-tenth of the cost of high-speed rail).  Further, Musk anticipates that the best use for the concept would be between paired cities less than 1,000 miles apart.

silverback1065

Sounds like a good idea I guess. But I can easily see the costs ballooning out of control after several delays. It seems like every time something like this is proposed that happens.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.